Confirmed Trade: [NSH/MIN] Mikael Granlund for Kevin Fiala

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Wild didn't get a pick, because Fenton didn't ask for one:
"Fenton said he had been working on a Granlund deal for a while and discussed him with several teams. He did not ask the Predators to include a draft pick." Sarah McLellan, Startribune
So much for the "It's Fiala he wanted".

He wanted some one close to Granlund's value to replace him in the lineup and did not care to get more assets. This kind of trade usually is a sign that the team wants to change its culture, I just thought Granlund could be a part of that, no matter how they would want to change it.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
Not as horrible as Niederreiter-Rask, but I'd give Fiala some time. Granlund broke out in his 5th season, Fiala is currently in his 3rd. Granlund had a pace of 47 points in his 3rd season, Fiala is on pace for 41.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Mikael Granlund moved from C to W and broke out. Does Fiala have such a move available for him?
W toC hopefully ;).

In all honesty though, he’s 22 years old and to think he can’t improve is Dumb. First of all, he’s got elite skill. His main issues, from what I’ve seen, are his strength on the puck and defensive awareness. The latter is less likely to take a big step, but if Fiala improves his strength he’s going to be allowed to use his skill and speed a lot more. Not to mention the boost he’s going to get from going from a 2/3rd liner in Nsh to a 1st liner in MN that gets big minutes and top power play time.

WILDTATE10

Jul 24, 2005
Was really looking forward to Granny and Kaprizov playing together in a year and a half. Hopefully Kaprizov still even wants to come here after what Fentons doing to this team

Reactions: rynryn

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Wrong. Michael Russo said Fenton did shop Granlund to other teams

what was the verbiage? Sounded like he was taking calls on Granlund from other teams but had Fiala targeted for most of the year. iirc.

not the quote i was thinking of but still...

On Monday, Fenton landed the player he drafted in the first round with the Nashville Predators five years ago and one he had been trying to get from his old boss, David Poile, for “a long time.”

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Wild didn't get a pick, because Fenton didn't ask for one:
"Fenton said he had been working on a Granlund deal for a while and discussed him with several teams. He did not ask the Predators to include a draft pick." Sarah McLellan, Startribune
This absolute lunacy to me. o_O

Reactions: mattihp

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Not as horrible as Niederreiter-Rask, but I'd give Fiala some time. Granlund broke out in his 5th season, Fiala is currently in his 3rd. Granlund had a pace of 47 points in his 3rd season, Fiala is on pace for 41.

the biggest issue i have with this is Granlund was a very, very good passer with excellent vision and probably twice as "creative" offensively as anyone else on our team. its not straight up point production i'm worried about but the problem was we keep trying to find a shooter worthy of Granlund...now we have Donato and possibly Fiala if he's as good as Fenton believes but we degraded our ability to give them the puck in scoring positions.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Damn. For some reason I was thinking it was Markus Granlund and I was like "whhaaaaat?"

Kind of feel the same, but the other way now.

Lateralous

Jun 17, 2003
Abington, PA
Visit site
I think the players rumored to be available were Johansen and RNH. I think we made the best choice we could at the time.
Johansen plays like a top 1C when the playoffs start. While it can be frustrating sometime during the regular season, it's not the worst thing to have a few guys who can turn up their game in April.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Johansen plays like a top 1C when the playoffs start. While it can be frustrating sometime during the regular season, it's not the worst thing to have a few guys who can turn up their game in April.

The only thing bad about his game is he doesn't shoot the puck as much as he should. Drives us crazy.

I hope we see Granlund elevate Turris' game, would be pretty important going forward.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
I still can't understand that this is the value of a guy who's in top-10 in RW scoring for last 3 seasons and is a good two-way player on top of that. AND is still RFA. Fenton better hope he's right about Fiala.

Reactions: Rasmi

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I still can't understand that this is the value of a guy who's in top-10 in RW scoring for last 3 seasons and is a good two-way player on top of that. AND is still RFA. Fenton better hope he's right about Fiala.
Granlund's an RFA even less than he is a center. If the Predators want to keep him beyond next season he's going to cost.

ref19

Oct 3, 2017
Huh? Wild got a haul and Preds got a 15-20 goal, 45-50’assist guy. Good deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad