Confirmed Trade: [NSH/MIN] Mikael Granlund for Kevin Fiala

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blame the referee

Aug 24, 2014
Granby
Mikael Granlund Was a 40-45 pts player until he was 24, but Fiala cant take the next step, he is already 22...#hfboards

Fenton should’ve got at least a 2nd in this deal, but its not true that Fiala dont have the potential to match granlund number

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Mikael Granlund Was a 40-45 pts player until he was 24, but Fiala cant take the next step, he is already 22...#hfboards
Another poster who hasn't watched him doesn't realize that Granlund would still be a 40-45 pts player if he played C and he scored so well because he was moved to wing.

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland

Fenton should’ve got at least a 2nd in this deal, but its not true that Fiala dont have the potential to match granlund number

Granlund also missed significant time in his 39 and 41 point campaigns. He was on pace for over 50 points in his second season and on pace for 47 points in his third, while playing a position that didn't suit him all the while he was struggling with his skating.

Don't know too much about what's holding Fiala back, but Granlund had two problems working against him: skating and the inability to play C at NHL level. He worked on his skating and got moved to wing and that's when he broke out. I'm not saying Fiala doesn't have it in him but I'm not holding my breath Fiala will do exactly the same as Granlund or even close, which was the jump from a 44 points season to 69 points season.

And someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but Granlund was the more promising prospect growing up, so the jump from mediocrity at NHL level to one of the better playmaking wingers in the league wasn't that unexpected. I've never really heard Fiala to be touted as a similar level prospect.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
I'm a big fan of Fiala but ouch, this gotta sting for Minnesota fans. They should've gotten a 1st/2nd with Fiala IMHO.

What's the deal with Minnesota dumping salaries with Coyle and now Granlund.

Could've moved Granlund at the draft, get the bidding war going, no?

Reactions: behemolari

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
I'm a big fan of Fiala but ouch, this gotta sting for Minnesota fans. They should've gotten a 1st/2nd with Fiala IMHO.

What's the deal with Minnesota dumping salaries with Coyle and now Granlund.

Could've moved Granlund at the draft, get the bidding war going, no?

Fiala and a 1st would've sealed the deal for me, I get the argument about Nashville adding even more though. Fiala and a 2nd would've gotten my interest but definitely wouldn't have been sufficient. But a 1on1 swap was absolutely ridiculous.

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
Is this a Foligno joke? I have missed out, can you re-cap?

There was a joke that the Canucks GM got the Granlund brothers mixed up and got the wrong Granlund.

67593581.jpg

Reactions: mattihp

moneyline

Mar 21, 2016
This is great for Granny, easily now Best forward in Smashville. And can hang out with his pals Peksi&Härkä there too.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
He was not trying to shop Granlund, he was trying to get Fiala. Fiala was on Predators, it was the only team he could trade with.

[MOD] Next 3 years will be a very rough .

Happy that the owner got his own handpicked crony for the job. Going to be an interesting backlash.

Last edited by a moderator:

dubgeek

Mar 1, 2012
Franklin, TN
Granlund is not superb defensively. He is responsible, but that's it.
Beer defense...sounds good. MN's is pretty... crafty, also.
Granlund's main thing is his passing, hands, and vision. He is one of the best setup men in the league. Also has heart. This trade has taken place while his wife is in labor. ****ing awful for him.

Poile at his press conference or on the radio after the trade said the first 5-10 minutes of his phone conversation with Granlund were purely about family and the new baby coming. He went on to say Wayne Simmonds is expected in the lineup Tuesday, but there's no immediate time table for Granlund. That will depend on the delivery. The Predators are one of the most family first organizations in the league (they started the "Father's Trip" that has become ubiquitous across the league, you know). While it may not be ideal to be traded in the middle of welcoming a new addition you couldn't ask for a better team/management group to be traded to in that scenario. Granlund will get all the support and time he needs to make this transition.

Reactions: Keke and preds1

dubgeek

Mar 1, 2012
Franklin, TN
The best part about Granlund is how he plays with heart in his sleeve. In addition to the skill and vision of course. He battles so hard and plays an intense game. When the team is really struggling and desperate to get things going or in a high stakes situation, he wills his line into scoring chances despite his size. Just one of the hardest battlers and fiercest competitors I've ever seen. I really like those type of players. They play the 'right way'.

Fiala might have more natural talent, but from what I've seen, he's a soft-ish dipsy-doodling giveaway machine. Kinda opposite from Granlund. I really dislike those type of players.

In terms of production I feel like his ceiling is where Granlund is now, but if he gets there he does it in a worse way. Less battling, more finesse. More annoying way. More soft way. And yeah, that's his ceiling, so he's unlikely to get there.

I get that the age and contract situation here is in Wild's favor, but it's still a horrid trade. Wild are just hemorrhaging value.

If this is an accurate description it sounds a lot like Arvidsson's game. It would be fantastic to have 2 Arvy's on the team - one for each of the top 2 lines. WOOT!

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Granlund is not a guy I would've thought to leave Minnesota anytime soon. Oh well, at least he goes to a better team.

Death of Rats

Jan 28, 2012
Blashyrkh
Wild didn't get a pick, because Fenton didn't ask for one:
"Fenton said he had been working on a Granlund deal for a while and discussed him with several teams. He did not ask the Predators to include a draft pick." Sarah McLellan, Startribune

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Wild didn't get a pick, because Fenton didn't ask for one:
"Fenton said he had been working on a Granlund deal for a while and discussed him with several teams. He did not ask the Predators to include a draft pick." Sarah McLellan, Startribune

What an idiot... Fiala + 1st would have been a palatable deal.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
You joke, but that was an incredibly great trade for Nashville even if we lost on value. Without Johansen we don't get to the finals or win the Presidents trophy. Easily the best centerman we've ever had and he's not even 35, slow or broken.
You make a good point. I never thought about it like that. I’ll just always wonder if you guys couldn’t have gotten a better C for Jones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad