Blue Jays Discussion: Now is the winter of our (probable) discontent

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I know it's been asked before, but what do we hope the minimum return for Donaldson from the Cards would include?

What would be the dream scenario?

Mine would be;
1 of RHP Reyes/Weaver/Flaherty
C Carson Kelly
SS Delvin Perez
3B Jedd Gyorko
OF Randal Grichuck

Too much to ask? That's ok, ill keep Donaldson.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I still can't quite get over this quote, even though it's no surprise. It's like all my anti-shapkins posts were me building up an epic case against them and then them just coming out and proudly admitting everything:

Alex Seixeiro @alexfan590
57m
Mark Shapiro: If we were running this team without a fan base, we probably would've started a rebuild a year ago. We're trying to remain competitive for those fans. #BlueJays #BlairShow

Not only does he show a completely lack of appreciation for how rare it is to own a roster capable of going to back to back ALCS, and not only does he baldly admit that his moves of the last few years have been a fake attempt to "contend"..... but worse he just comes right out and calls us fans ignorant dummies who need to be treated like children and who are getting in the way of his precious rebuild.

Gah. This guy.

Reactions: Hoverhand

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Mine would be;
1 of RHP Reyes/Weaver/Flaherty
C Carson Kelly
SS Delvin Perez
3B Jedd Gyorko
OF Randal Grichuck

Too much to ask? That's ok, ill keep Donaldson.

seems like that may be what the jays are doing, in my reading of that Rosenthal tweet. Basically give us all this or we happily take him into the season. Obviously we have no idea what their high asking price is but its likely big

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
seems like that may be what the jays are doing, in my reading of that Rosenthal tweet. Basically give us all this or we happily take him into the season. Obviously we have no idea what their high asking price is but its likely big
At least with Donaldson, the Cards have a chance to re-sign him before hitting the market. 0 chance with Machado.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
i have to sneak in posts really quick or else everything dissappears.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

They lost Mitch Nay to Cincinnati, not that it really is a big deal. Once highly touted, but the guy kind of needed his hitting and he was hardly passing in Lansing this year as like a 25 year old. At least he covered the costs for one of the three selections the Jays made, because otherwise he probably would have been released. Better than nothing.

The three guys the Jays selected will probably all play at a higher level, and make a bigger impact, than him too.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Wouldn't it be nice if we could trade JD and then resign him in the off-season ala Chapman.

I'm pretty torn whether it's the best move tbh. We have a roster that could easily make the playoffs, but without that contract extension from JD I don't see the point in keeping him unless we legitimately gear up for a run.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
and what does taking Gyorko back in a donaldson deal do for us? other than lowering the return of actual good assets?

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
and what does taking Gyorko back in a donaldson deal do for us? other than lowering the return of actual good assets?
Replaces him at 3B immediately and has a good contract. He becomes redundant to the Cards if they get Josh.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
do I have a settig wrong or something?

Try switching browsers.

I don't think it would as your essentially allowing the Cardinals to fit Donaldson's ticket while also clearing their log jam. Also gives you a decent infielder you can plug into your lineup and still compete for a wildcard, or if you're out, deal once more to a contender for further assets.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
yeah but who cares about replacing Donaldson? if we're trading him we're not contending. Maximize the actual prospect assets we can get back. Don't water down the return with mediocre vets.

Reactions: Trawna Phan

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Wouldn't it be nice if we could trade JD and then resign him in the off-season ala Chapman.

I'm pretty torn whether it's the best move tbh. We have a roster that could easily make the playoffs, but without that contract extension from JD I don't see the point in keeping him unless we legitimately gear up for a run.

That's Kurtz's strategy, and though it could work in theory, I think the likelihood of pulling it off is very low.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
yeah but who cares about replacing Donaldson? if we're trading him we're not contending. Maximize the actual prospect assets we can get back. Don't water down the return with mediocre vets.

With the Cardinals, the maximum return is essentially Reyes (as the rest of their system is underwhelming). If he's in the deal, then I'm not watering down value at all.

Then say as an example, the Rangers are in contention in July, and need a third baseman to replace an aging Beltre. They trade Josh Morgan for Gyorko, and suddenly my return for Donaldson is Reyes + O'Neill + Morgan. Its simply good asset management.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
A producing MLB player who stands to increase his offensive output moving to the AL East on a decent contract could further inflate his value if we do end up sucking. Sometimes it's best to go from A->B to finally get to C rather than do all your shopping in one place.

Reactions: Garlando
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad