Post-Game Talk: November 8 Jets @ Sens: How not to win a shootout!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Maybe that's what the coach is looking at instead of you know, actually watching the games and making decisions based on who's playing well.

They put in the players who were most likely to score in a shoot out.

Sensfanatic

Nov 8, 2014
Shootout player selection by Maclean was possibly the most ridiculous thing I've ever witnessed by a hockey coach. He selects some of his least skilled players for a "skills competition". Simply breathtaking incompetence.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Shootout player selection by Maclean was possibly the most ridiculous thing I've ever witnessed by a hockey coach. He selects some of his least skilled players for a "skills competition". Simply breathtaking incompetence.

ahaha even worse when you put it like that :laugh:

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-Ceci

If this isn't just a flash in the pan by Cowen, we may have a pretty solid defence squad that isn't as bad as I thought earlier.

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
That's interesting-according to those stats the best Senator in the shoot out is Legwand followed by Michalek then Ryan and then Mika.
But that was so last year. Put in the young kids, they're guaranteed to score. :sarcasm:

Bias is so strong on these boards. A perfect example is Cowen. He started the season doing some good things but it seemed like a couple times a game he would make a bad decision and at least once a game it ended up in the back of the net. After last season this confirmed many people's suspicions that he was a terrible player and that we should sell low...it was the only reasonable option. He had to go...after 160ish games in the NHL.

I'm not sure where this expectation of instant success comes from but being a good NHL player takes a ton of work and only a VERY few jump into the league without a problem. The rest earn their stripes and Stone, Hoffman, Cowen etc. will all get their chances but it will take time. Tonight wasn't just about this game but also the 100, 200, 300... after it.

Don't worry, the young kids will get their opportunities, it just wasn't tonight.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
That's interesting-according to those stats the best Senator in the shoot out is Legwand followed by Michalek then Ryan and then Mika.
Yes, I'm sure 53-year old Gretzky also has better shoot out percentages than Stone or Hoffman. Let's put him in. (actually, he probably would still be a better option than Greening)

(ouch, Gretzky left out of a shoot out brings back bad memories)

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
But that was so last year. Put in the young kids, they're guaranteed to score. :sarcasm:

Bias is so strong on these boards. A perfect example is Cowen. He started the season doing some good things but it seemed like a couple times a game he would make a bad decision and at least once a game it ended up in the back of the net. After last season this confirmed many people's suspicions that he was a terrible player and that we should sell low...it was the only reasonable option. He had to go...after 160ish games in the NHL.

I'm not sure where this expectation of instant success comes from but being a good NHL player takes a ton of work and only a VERY few jump into the league without a problem. The rest earn their stripes and Stone, Hoffman, Cowen etc. will all get their chances but it will take time. Tonight wasn't just about this game but also the 100, 200, 300... after it.

Don't worry, the young kids will get their opportunities, it just wasn't tonight.
You're right, we should wait till they also get old enough to lose their puck-handling skills, THEN we should use them on the SO.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Yes, I'm sure 53-year old Gretzky also has better shoot out percentages than Stone or Hoffman. Let's put him in. (actually, he probably would still be a better option than Greening)

(ouch, Gretzky left out of a shoot out brings back bad memories)

Yes not a good memory.

I've never seen Stone in a shot out but I did see Hoffman take a penalty shot
and it was pretty bad.

Mika and Turris had their turn, and Karlsson. Greening and Legwand and Milo actually did as well or better than the others. I remember when Mike Eastwood used to have melt downs then the coach didn't put Heatley out on shoot outs . His record was something like 3 in 17. Sometimes the best players are just not the best at shoot outs.

Last edited:

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002

Yeah except everyone on the kid line is playing far better than the players selected to shoot on the bottom three. It's not like this is something new. I think MacLean is a good coach in general. His shootout selection though is always ridiculous, it's like he bases it off of salary instead of skill.

pown

We are team
Oct 12, 2013
Ottawa
Honestly macleans choices are brain wrenching, what the actual fuk is going on in his head?

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
You're right, we should wait till they also get old enough to lose their puck-handling skills, THEN we should use them on the SO.
So what you're saying is ignore the percentages and play them because they're young? You ignore Turris' miss, Karlsson's miss, Zibanejad's miss (why I'm not sure - perhaps again because they're young) and focus on the guys that are in the 4-5-6 slots. The guys with the better percentages...

I don't get it. :help:

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
Yeah except everyone on the kid line is playing far better than the players selected to shoot on the bottom three. It's not like this is something new. I think MacLean is a good coach in general. His shootout selection though is always ridiculous, it's like he bases it off of salary instead of skill.
Listen, I don't necessarily agree with the choices either but they aren't as far out there as many are making them out to be...

EDIT: The extra point went out west and the team played well. You take the one and move on.

Savannah Skunk

Nov 21, 2006
Off the banana farm
Count me amongst those not understanding the shootout choices tonight; however, maybe Maclean was sending a message to certain players for reasons we don't know about. Whatever his reason, he's done well with this group so far this year.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
Listen, I don't necessarily agree with the choices either but they aren't as far out there as many are making them out to be...

EDIT: The extra point went out west and the team played well. You take the one and move on.

Cool, I don't usually come to the boards to comment either but I found the picks especially stupid tonight.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Very good game guys, it could of went either. Well done!

Good luck rest of the season guys.

fringie

May 20, 2013
Kanata
Also questioned the shootout selection, but look there is no guarantee anyone would score in the shootout, some are good it, some are not. May not be PM's best moments, but he kind of goes for hunches from time to time on this type of thing, probably not his best coaching decisions ever, but Hindsight is 20/20. Time to move on, tomorrow's game is big.

BTW, personally I am over the shootout thing, most of them are not exciting to watch, and most players do not have much to offer in this department anyway, not just Sens players. I was against 3 on 3, but now I think it should be put in, at least it creates some excitement in the building, and fans can get their money's worth, also it is hard to NOT score in 3 on 3.

Hope shootout era is over soon..

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
So what you're saying is ignore the percentages and play them because they're young? You ignore Turris' miss, Karlsson's miss, Zibanejad's miss (why I'm not sure - perhaps again because they're young) and focus on the guys that are in the 4-5-6 slots. The guys with the better percentages...

I don't get it. :help:

When you have 6 shooters going out and none of them is Stone or Hoffman, with the way they've played the last few games, you shouldn't be so confused as to why we're mad about coach's selections. Greening should only go if we're down to the 50th attempt, everyone else is puking in buckets and there's a full moon out.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Bunch of HF posters, who never see the team practicing or see guys practice their shootout moves... vs an NHL coach who sees that **** every day for over 3 years.

Yeah, I'm siding with the coach. Sorry, majority of HFSens. Can't join the mob on this one.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Bunch of HF posters, who never see the team practicing or see guys practice their shootout moves... vs an NHL coach who sees that **** every day for over 3 years.

Yeah, I'm siding with the coach. Sorry, majority of HFSens. Can't join the mob on this one.

That's a pretty weak retort to the "mob". MacLean's SO choices have always been questionable. This isn't new.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Honestly macleans choices are brain wrenching, what the actual fuk is going on in his head?

"I bet if I were back in the cabin in Antigonish Greening and Legwand would be great beer buddies. Like they'd have an Alpine or two and we'd talk about lobsters. Yeah, these are the guys I want in a shootout."

:sarcasm:

Fusbolito

Jan 29, 2012
Honestly, I'm not mad about this one. I think we were the better team overall, and a shootout that goes 7 rounds, no matter who we send out, is always going to be a crapshoot.

The only player we really ever had who was pretty much automatic on the shootout was Silfverberg, and, surprise surprise, when we had him he pretty much was sent out every week.

From listening to MacLean, he doesn't like the shootout a lot, and considers it a tossup, so he ends up going with either guys he has a hunch about, possibly like the Michalek selection, or guys he wants to show he still has faith in to try and get them motivated, like Greening.

We're still 5/6 points this homestand, and with some luck we would have 6/6. Let's take some positives from tonight, e.g. Cowen was absolutely back into form, and that the kids ARE still alright even when they don't score, they're producing chances, they're annoying the opposition, and they're still the most exciting line we've had on this team since the Pizza line.

Now beat the leafs tomorrow, and I'll be truly happy.

Othello*

Boro, Gryba and Cowen have all stepped it up. Boro can turn into Matt Carkner 2.0

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

exactly this. It doesn't make much sense to get mad over something we have no context with which to really understand things.

That's why I don't like the shootout, its a skills competition and has next to nothing to do with an actual hockey game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad