OT: Not up, not in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Of all the linux distributions Mint has the best name.

I remember trying it out a few years ago and can't remember why I didn't stick with it on my dev machine. I recall the UI being pretty slick.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Linux has a UI?

I'm sure you're being sarcastic, but yes, actually, the linux community sees the only barrier of widespread adoption of linux by non-technical users on home PCs is the Desktop environment (KDE, Gnome, etc.) and there are actually whole distributions (like Mint and Ubuntu) that are targeted at the desktop environment. Going back a few years, companies like SGI (which is Irix) cornered the scientific market because their platform could do powerful processing for modeling on 64 bit processors and create powerful images.Even Apple, when looking to port their operating system to Intel architecture from their Motorolla release 10 years ago considered linux prior to picking BSD. Dreamworks currently uses RHEL 30,000 CPU super-cluster do to all their animation rendering.

So yeah, Linux has a UI.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I'm sure you're being sarcastic, but yes, actually, the linux community sees the only barrier of widespread adoption of linux by non-technical users on home PCs is the Desktop environment (KDE, Gnome, etc.) and there are actually whole distributions (like Mint and Ubuntu) that are targeted at the desktop environment. Going back a few years, companies like SGI (which is Irix) cornered the scientific market because their platform could do powerful processing for modeling on 64 bit processors and create powerful images.Even Apple, when looking to port their operating system to Intel architecture from their Motorolla release 10 years ago considered linux prior to picking BSD. Dreamworks currently uses RHEL 30,000 CPU super-cluster do to all their animation rendering.

So yeah, Linux has a UI.

I've been using various Linux releases since the original Red Hat. :p:

As for widespread distribution, Linux has way more of a battle than just making it user friendly. Even if it's completely user friendly, why would your average home user choose it over the OS they're most likely using at work and have been using the past 5, 10, 15, whatever number of years? OS pricing on home machines is largely irrelevant so Linux isn't really going to be able to play the pricing game, plus you have the potential software incompatibilities that a lot of people aren't going to want to deal with.

BUCKSHOT

""""""""""""""""""""""
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Accounting is a decent field. Lots of jobs available, but not all great paying.

If you go for your CPA, however, you're golden. CPAs are in demand and your salary reflects it. Plus, I'm always getting recruited to go elsewhere. Getting my CPA was one of the harder things I've ever had to do, but it was definitely worth it.

I remember when I was a little kid, my dad always studying for his CPA exam. He took it a few different times.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
If you were 21 years old and already finished with an advanced diploma in engineering technology, and had the option to obtain your bachelor of engineering throughout a transfer program in only two years would you do it?

I guess what I am asking, does anyone regret not getting more education. Or on the flip side thankful that they decided to go back and get more education. In my situation it's very difficult because being a Civil Technologist can lead to a very good career, but a P.Eng just opens up so much opportunity in pretty much any field.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
If you were 21 years old and already finished with an advanced diploma in engineering technology, and had the option to obtain your bachelor of engineering throughout a transfer program in only two years would you do it?

I guess what I am asking, does anyone regret not getting more education. Or on the flip side thankful that they decided to go back and get more education. In my situation it's very difficult because being a Civil Technologist can lead to a very good career, but a P.Eng just opens up so much opportunity in pretty much any field.

What are your options if you don't continue your education right now? If you don't have a good alternative, it doesn't seem like you have much of a decision to make.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
What are your options if you don't continue your education right now? If you don't have a good alternative, it doesn't seem like you have much of a decision to make.

Options would be working for a construction contractor, city, or consultant as a project coordinator, surveyor, estimator, project manager, site super ect..There are good options, with the average salary being good to very good (Ontario average being ~$75,000)after 5-10 years of experience. There seems to be both pro's and cons. For example as a C.E.T you can only get so high within a company, where as a P.Eng you can there will never be restrictions on where you can go.

Last edited:

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
You should also consider you options for taking a few years off from education and then going back at a later time. Make some money now, then after a few years if you can still go back to finish the bachelor's degree, that might be a route worth considering.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
You should also consider you options for taking a few years off from education and then going back at a later time. Make some money now, then after a few years if you can still go back to finish the bachelor's degree, that might be a route worth considering.

I would not be going until September 2015 if I ended up going so that would be the plan.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I've been using various Linux releases since the original Red Hat. :p:

As for widespread distribution, Linux has way more of a battle than just making it user friendly. Even if it's completely user friendly, why would your average home user choose it over the OS they're most likely using at work and have been using the past 5, 10, 15, whatever number of years? OS pricing on home machines is largely irrelevant so Linux isn't really going to be able to play the pricing game, plus you have the potential software incompatibilities that a lot of people aren't going to want to deal with.

I think you missed my point.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Think I need to leave the New York City area. Also think I'd like it a lot better if I could afford to live in New York City. Would put me back in socially with my friends, and really ease the torture of my every day commute.

Can't afford it though. I don't want to live such a stressful life of watching my every move paycheck to paycheck.

Problem is? I have no idea where else I want to go. Another problem? I don't think I'd do so well in a new city with no one I know around to plug me in. I'd come back to Buffalo in a heartbeat, but, there are some social blockades there that I can't break. And that's okay.

Worse problems to have in life for sure.

Posting this here since this OT thread seems to have so many world travelers who have no problem picking up and moving to a new place; regardless of whether or not they have people there to help them out in the beginning. Don't think I'd be able to do that, so much respect for everyone who can!

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Think I need to leave the New York City area. Also think I'd like it a lot better if I could afford to live in New York City. Would put me back in socially with my friends, and really ease the torture of my every day commute.

Can't afford it though. I don't want to live such a stressful life of watching my every move paycheck to paycheck.

Problem is? I have no idea where else I want to go. Another problem? I don't think I'd do so well in a new city with no one I know around to plug me in. I'd come back to Buffalo in a heartbeat, but, there are some social blockades there that I can't break. And that's okay.

Posting this here since this OT thread seems to have so many world travelers who have no problem picking up and moving to a new place; regardless of whether or not they have people there to help them out in the beginning. Don't think I'd be able to do that, so much respect for everyone who can!

How's your Spanish?

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York

Come, we can be roomies.

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport

Social blockades? That's an interesting reason for not being able to move to a city.

I'm probably way off base but that sounds like "my ex lives there and I don't want to run into her". Again I'm probably totally off base but that's how I read that statement.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Social blockades? That's an interesting reason for not being able to move to a city.

I'm probably way off base but that sounds like "my ex lives there and I don't want to run into her". Again I'm probably totally off base but that's how I read that statement.

Or registered sex offender.:sarcasm:

What do you want to do for living? It would be life changing to shorten your commute regardless of your profession.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Come, we can be roomies.

Tempting. Tempting.

I will neither confirm nor deny this statement.

This is one of those: Say nothing if I'm right kind of situations.

Or registered sex offender.:sarcasm:

My house has no red dot on it thank you very much :p:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: