OT: Not up, not in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuiltTagonTough

Stand still laddy!
Jul 2, 2009
Buffalo
So if anyone wants to or was thinking about picking up the Game of Thrones books you can get the boxed set as an ebook for 4.99 at your local B&N until the end of the day.

It's 36 bucks otherwise.

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton
Costa Rica? :D

shiiiet, looks legit. Think we have a winner, will be picking your brain when this comes to fruition.

I'd like to do all of South America at some time though, just a gawgeous lifestyle and don't get me started on the latin women. Bet you've got your head on a swivel.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Agreeed. Most of my work has been contracts the last couple years and I love just grinding it out for months and then doing as you want for months.. I haven't done much travelling outside of my home area yet, but that's just because I've been investing the majority of my income. After the next year or so I'll be able to start hitting some bucket-list destinations. I'll likely head south for a week or 2 in early 2015 though, have late December to mid-April off. Anyone have recommendations, most go to Cuba/Jamaica from my neck of the woods, open to anything else though.

I'm pretty sure I'll be in BC come next April actually, looking forward to it as I've been told/seen friends insta pics and it's beautiful scenery.

The obvious answer is either:
1) Road trip from Sabres-Board-member to Sabres-board-member.
2) Follow the Sabres from city to city.
3) Combine the two, offering to take a Sabres board member to the most proximal Sabres game in exchange for a bed and a meal.

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton
The obvious answer is either:
1) Road trip from Sabres-Board-member to Sabres-board-member.
2) Follow the Sabres from city to city.
3) Combine the two, offering to take a Sabres board member to the most proximal Sabres game in exchange for a bed and a meal.

Number 3 would be great in say 2-3 years! Tbh, an all-out gathering for a playoff game would be real cool. First rounds on me, you can hold me to that to.

Also to Chainshot, how's the golf in Costa Rica? Many courses around?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Number 3 would be great in say 2-3 years! Tbh, an all-out gathering for a playoff game would be real cool. First rounds on me, you can hold me to that to.

Also to Chainshot, how's the golf in Costa Rica? Many courses around?

Golf is variable. During the dry season which is just ending, I hear it is like playing ping pong due to the hardness of the soil. Most of the courses are associated with resorts and their high-end condo developments. Some of them are rather nice from what I've seen -- Los Suenos for example -- but I'm going by what my friends have said.

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
I golfed for what could be the last time of the year yesterday. I don't play often anymore but have really gotten out a bit this summer.

I played a round that would probably classify as my best in about 10 years. I shot 44 on the front nine which I don't remember the last time I did. Usually in the 46-50 range. Multiple pars, I believe I had four in a five hole stretch. I get on the back nine, several more pars and even a birdie. I head to the 18th (a par 5) needing a 7 for an 89. I do not even remember the last time I broke 90.

What did I do?

Yep. Got an 8. That includes the putt for a 7 that went the entire way around the cup and did not fall. I shot 90. Instead of happy feelings, I left upset. **** you, golf.

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton
I golfed for what could be the last time of the year yesterday. I don't play often anymore but have really gotten out a bit this summer.

I played a round that would probably classify as my best in about 10 years. I shot 44 on the front nine which I don't remember the last time I did. Usually in the 46-50 range. Multiple pars, I believe I had four in a five hole stretch. I get on the back nine, several more pars and even a birdie. I head to the 18th (a par 5) needing a 7 for an 89. I do not even remember the last time I broke 90.

What did I do?

Yep. Got an 8. That includes the putt for a 7 that went the entire way around the cup and did not fall. I shot 90. Instead of happy feelings, I left upset. **** you, golf.

haha, gotta roll with it but i feel the struggle. My game is very streaky round to round. I broke 40 on the front nine of my home course for the first time ever a couple weeks back, and then I come back with a 51 on the back, fak me.

My drives have really come around these last couple years. I legitimately poke it in the 300 ballpark routinely when it's straight which I've gotten better at (my mens night scramble team is gonna miss me for the year-end). But my 70-110yd shots have been atrocious on the par-4's. Love it but I hate it.

Don't know if anybody here follows the LPGA, but a young girl from my town has a very promising future in front of her. Already the top amateur in Canada and I'm pretty sure top-3 in the world at 16. She's no joke that's for sure.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas

What did I do?

Haha, I feel that. Even when you play well golf can still leave you broken and annoyed. :laugh: A 90's a solid round though.

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
That doesn't even count the 17th where I chunked my tee shot into the water.....then re-tee, hit one to 5 feet and instead of a 2, it's a 4. :shakehead

In the end I know I'm happy with it - it's just frustrating. It got into my head!

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
You know the beginning of "Apocalypse Now" where Martin Sheen is rousted from his hangover* and, speaking as the narrator, says, "Saigon? ****."

Well, replace "Saigon" with "Monday".

*That is not to imply I am hungover, although I did have a beer with dinner.

Last edited:

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
1 more day... auuuuuugh.

It's going to be fun doing research and possibly pursuing legal action against the Erie County Department of Social Services / CPS. (note: nothing to do with my kids, they are doing fine).

Run by incompetent fools given waay too much power.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
My wife is currently in the middle of a stretch of 26 days without a full day off. Thankfully she was home yesterday (after working 24 hours and getting a few hours sleep) so we got to hangout a bit. She worked from 6 am Saturday till 9 AM Sunday, came home, feel asleep in the car in the driveway she was so tired (thankfully not when she was driving!). I found her out there snoozing in the drivers seat and got her inside.

She had to get up at 3 AM today so she could get out the door by 4 am and drive 1 hour to where her rotation is. Thankfully she has the next three weekends off, including some vacation time coming up during labor day. But, man, I had no idea how much work doctors (specifically surgeons) have to do.

Nibbler

May 24, 2011
Ambassador to Earth
My wife is currently in the middle of a stretch of 26 days without a full day off. Thankfully she was home yesterday (after working 24 hours and getting a few hours sleep) so we got to hangout a bit. She worked from 6 am Saturday till 9 AM Sunday, came home, feel asleep in the car in the driveway she was so tired (thankfully not when she was driving!). I found her out there snoozing in the drivers seat and got her inside.

She had to get up at 3 AM today so she could get out the door by 4 am and drive 1 hour to where her rotation is. Thankfully she has the next three weekends off, including some vacation time coming up during labor day. But, man, I had no idea how much work doctors (specifically surgeons) have to do.

That sounds kind of dangerous actually, I would prefer my surgeon to be well rested :nod:

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
That sounds kind of dangerous actually, I would prefer my surgeon to be well rested :nod:

The attending doctors (i.e have completed their residency) have better schedules, though, a 24 hour shift isn't uncommon. The residency program is the US is pretty damn crazy though. For surgery is a 5 year contract and you really don't have that much control over where you go. My wife had to apply to several programs, fly around the country at her own expense to interview, then rank them. Then wherever you end up (the programs then rank you, then t hey do a "match") you are under contract for the next 5 years with very little recourse in terms of finding a new program.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Everything gov't is "incompetent fools with too much power"
This is true. I was still shocked at the level of it though.

To give you an idea of how power hungry some of these people are:
We were meeting with someone at the Department of Social Services. They gave us ******** answers and the run-around, which I won't get into. My wife asked to speak to a supervisor. He came over. She expressed her frustration and explained the situation. She did not yell or raise her voice (she's naturally loud), did not threaten or insult, did not swear at anyone or otherwise do anything that could be viewed as intimidation. Yet, this ********* supervisor first told her to stop yelling (I told him she was not) and then said she needed to calm down (she was upset but again not causing any issues) because she was disturbing everyone (not true) and that he would call the deputy and have her arrested. I wanted to deck him on the spot, but I explained to him, calmly as I could, that he was being out of line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad