OT: Not up, not in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Bite your tongue no job for me.

Weighed in at slightly more than 84kgs so I'm ready for tomorrow night. Fighting a 5'10ish 25yo Australian that's been here for almost 2 months training. Will rely on my 8" reach advantage and some long in the tooth wily tricks to keep from getting humiliated. Dropped 9kgs in 3 weeks from cuting out all unnecessary sugars (sodas) and working out 6 hours a day. Quite defined if I say so myself, hit the tailor,up today as my belt and shorts don't fit, down to a 29" waist...so 6'3" and 186lbs.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Good thing I'm an English minor then. Guaranteed success.

I was at one time a double major in both English and history. I got over that.

Granted, the other joke I had here was "at least you are guaranteed to be able to spell 'guaranteed'". :laugh:

Clock

May 13, 2006
I wish high schools would do more to prepare kids for college in terms of what major they'd want to go for. An honest conversation about rough salaries, hours, and that sort of stuff mapped out against school costs might be helpful. I could see where that would be a touchy area better left to parents, but bottom line, I wish there was some more education in these areas. I completely acknowledge that, for the most part, I got lucky because I was a computer nerd who wanted to learn to be more of a computer nerd during an era where it was good to be a computer nerd.

tl;dr: PK and I are going to pretend that being anesthesiologists is the coolest thing in the world until our spawn turn 18.

Penalty Killa

glitter skates
Oct 1, 2007
Sabres Nation
Accounting is a decent field. Lots of jobs available, but not all great paying.

If you go for your CPA, however, you're golden. CPAs are in demand and your salary reflects it. Plus, I'm always getting recruited to go elsewhere. Getting my CPA was one of the harder things I've ever had to do, but it was definitely worth it.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I wish high schools would do more to prepare kids for college in terms of what major they'd want to go for. An honest conversation about rough salaries, hours, and that sort of stuff mapped out against school costs might be helpful. I could see where that would be a touchy area better left to parents, but bottom line, I wish there was some more education in these areas. I completely acknowledge that, for the most part, I got lucky because I was a computer nerd who wanted to learn to be more of a computer nerd during an era where it was good to be a computer nerd.

tl;dr: PK and I are going to pretend that being anesthesiologists is the coolest thing in the world until our spawn turn 18.

Ha. "Ok Son, you need to work extremely hard until you get out of school. Then you work an easy 40 hour schedule for a few hundred K a year" Radiology is pretty similar. My wife got sent home at her Radiology rotation in Med school because the radiologist was paid per X ray processed and having a student there cost them money

anesthesiologist is actually a very competitive field due to the easier schedule and high pay. So, better tell them its about 12 years of non stop study (High school, College, Med school) then you get to slow it down and collect monies.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I am a fan of Harry's.

https://www.harrys.com/

They are so good that my GF stole the razor I kept at her apartment for herself.

:laugh:

I just checked that site out

NATURAL ESSENCE
Quality ingredients set premium creams apart. We blend natural ingredients to deliver the comfort and performance that you deserve

I don't avoid razors, Jimbob, but i do deny them my essence.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Mrs Chain did something like that for a while -- first at a HS level, then at the collegiate level. It's amazing to me how much skill trades make and what their placement percentages are, yet "vo-tech" is SHUNNED by most HS guidance counselors.

And it wasn't like there were a lot of those sort of resources when I graduated. At least now, there is the possibility of doing online research to find some information out. If I had known then what I know now, I so would've become an electrician or mason, both of which I enjoy.

And don't get me started on educating youth on savings... :shakehead:help:

Ha. "Ok Son, you need to work extremely hard until you get out of school. Then you work an easy 40 hour schedule for a few hundred K a year" Radiology is pretty similar. My wife got sent home at her Radiology rotation in Med school because the radiologist was paid per X ray processed and having a student there cost them money

anesthesiologist is actually a very competitive field due to the easier schedule and high pay. So, better tell them its about 12 years of non stop study (High school, College, Med school) then you get to slow it down and collect monies.

And with the aging of the US population, it isn't like either of those fields will be shrinking much in the next 30 years. Well... eventually due to death. But not right now.

Penalty Killa

glitter skates
Oct 1, 2007
Sabres Nation

Well, since we have already had to put our son under 5 times in his short 11 month lifespan, we've spent a LOT on anesthesiology. He kinda owes us this one.

Vergilius

Aug 3, 2006
Any English majors in here or am I barking up the wrong tree (or thread, to be more accurate)?

People making jokes at the expense of those with degrees in the Liberal Arts? Shocking...

I have a few degrees in history. Can I help in any way?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
By some twist of fate we'll probably figure out how to extend human life right before the baby boomer generation loses their influence.

Hey, we have corporate entities with individual rights, why not trusts too? :laugh::help::shakehead:cry:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
People making jokes at the expense of those with degrees in the Liberal Arts? Shocking...

As I mentioned, I was a double major in both English and history. It was where I was guided to go at the time for what I wanted to do.

What are your degrees in, if you don't mind me asking?

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
The college thing is always interesting, and I do always get a kick out of talking to parents who are going to tell their child what they are majoring in. No, I am not suggesting anyone in this conversation is doing that.:)

I have a BA and MA in history, and an MLS. I have a six figure salary working in a history-related field. It CAN be done.

My daughter, who is going off to college in a couple of weeks, is a very talented musician. She knows she can't make money being a music performance major, so she is doing music therapy. It won't make her wealthy, but it will allow her to use her music, and it's a growing field, so jobs aren't a problem.

*steps off of soapbox*

Vergilius

Aug 3, 2006
As I mentioned, I was a double major in both English and history. It was where I was guided to go at the time for what I wanted to do.

What are your degrees in, if you don't mind me asking?

A double major in English and history sounds rather exciting to me! What were you planning to do, if you don't mind my asking?

B.A. - Early Modern Europe, minors in languages (Latin, Spanish)

M.A. - Renaissance Europe

Ph.D. - Renaissance Rome/intellectual and literary history

(I figured you didn't want the specifics.)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
A double major in English and history sounds rather exciting to me! What were you planning to do, if you don't mind my asking?

B.A. - Early Modern Europe, minors in languages (Latin, Spanish)

M.A. - Renaissance Europe

Ph.D. - Renaissance Rome/intellectual and literary history

(I figured you didn't want the specifics.)

At that time I wanted to be a writer and had a fascination with the inter-connectedness or influences upon one another of early Mediterranean cultures. My advisor thought I should work on a minor in Islamic History, since that was his area and he loved having a frosh crash his 300-level classes. As an aside, I have a friend who did her Ph.D. work around courtesans and patronage as the underpinnings of the Italian masters artwork. Renaissance hookers and blow, if you will.

What was amusing was that while I wanted to write, no one said "go write". I was given great volumns of reading in both BA's and at the half-way point, burned out. I left school, dabbled with returning by picking up a few classes over the next three years, but never went back nor finished. Journalism was never discussed as an option, but probably suited me best at that time.

One anecdote from one of my professors at the time:

"Dave, do you know the difference between a historian and an alagorian?"
"No, do tell."
"Well, a historian looks back at past events, sees patterns of events and human relationships in how things happened that allow them to make predictions about current events."
"Ok...."
"While an alagorian looks back on those same patterns of events and human relationships and says... 'neat'."
*silence*

:biglaugh:

Yeah, I'm the one saying "neat".

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse

One collegiate history course in my life, post high-school, but I recognized your username! ;)
English/History double major gainfully employed here. :teach2:

Still can't spell guaranteed. (thanks browser spellchecker)

An Ace sighting!!!!

TossinSauce

Dec 16, 2013
Upstate NY

Through 2/3 of this path, it's been rough and exhausting but worth it so far. Thinking of surgery instead of gas though, much cooler.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
In keeping with the thread title, it is indeed a day to be shown the money. My employer finally correct two -- TWO -- missing weeks of payroll. Nothing like getting a essentially a double paycheck. Finally.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Through 2/3 of this path, it's been rough and exhausting but worth it so far. Thinking of surgery instead of gas though, much cooler.

Do you like regular sleep, Y/N?

If answer is Y, avoid surgery.

My wife is on her Gen Surg residency and its brutal. 80-100+ hours of work a week. Yeah, they are supposed to cap you at 80 hours....it just doesn't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad