OT: Not up, not in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Tempting. Tempting.

I will neither confirm nor deny this statement.

This is one of those: Say nothing if I'm right kind of situations.

My house has no red dot on it thank you very much :p:

If it's an ex, regardless of whether it was painful for you or if you were at fault, you have so much of your life remaining that you need to live it. Sounds like you're suffering now with job, money, and commute in NYC / Long Island. Why not trade that for cheaper living back home with/or the chance you'll run into her back home or have to resolve something from the past?

Also, in the classic literature, heroes with broken hearts usually left town for some manly adventure. Ever think of giving "deadliest catch" a try?

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
If it's an ex, regardless of whether it was painful for you or if you were at fault, you have so much of your life remaining that you need to live it. Sounds like you're suffering now with job, money, and commute in NYC / Long Island. Why not trade that for cheaper living back home with/or the chance you'll run into her back home or have to resolve something from the past?

Also, in the classic literature, heroes with broken hearts usually left town for some manly adventure. Ever think of giving "deadliest catch" a try?

Ah, see, I am home. New York Metro area born and bred. Buffalo for four years for school. Fell in love with it and left it. Not to get to personal, but there's nothing to resolve. We broke up on good terms. That almost makes it harder! :laugh:

The commute murders me, every day. I come home angry sometimes even if my day was okay. Well, maybe not angry, but just miffed. 90 minutes is just way. too. long. For anyone. Leaves no time to do anything else, really. Get home, eat dinner, relax for an hour if possible. Go to sleep and do it again.

As for "manly adventure", I actually have a few friends on Facebook who just spend their time post-college travelling. I don't get it. I'd love to throw away responsibilities for a bit and just do whatever. And if there's an age to do that at it's certainly your early-mid-twenties, but I don't know. I also enjoy having the stability of a full-time job and saving up my money. Feels good.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Ah, see, I am home. New York Metro area born and bred. Buffalo for four years for school. Fell in love with it and left it. Not to get to personal, but there's nothing to resolve. We broke up on good terms. That almost makes it harder! :laugh:

The commute murders me, every day. I come home angry sometimes even if my day was okay. Well, maybe not angry, but just miffed. 90 minutes is just way. too. long. For anyone. Leaves no time to do anything else, really. Get home, eat dinner, relax for an hour if possible. Go to sleep and do it again.

As for "manly adventure", I actually have a few friends on Facebook who just spend their time post-college travelling. I don't get it. I'd love to throw away responsibilities for a bit and just do whatever. And if there's an age to do that at it's certainly your early-mid-twenties, but I don't know. I also enjoy having the stability of a full-time job and saving up my money. Feels good.

Buffalo is a big enough city that you could conceivably live your entire life and never run into her--assuming she still lives in Buffalo. Shocking, I know. ;)

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Buffalo is a big enough city that you could conceivably live your entire life and never run into her--assuming she still lives in Buffalo. Shocking, I know. ;)

Oh, for sure. We just ran in the same social circle that she has more of a part of now no doubt about it. In that sense, I'd have to start over from scratch a bit in terms of the social scene. Going back to my original post, that's not something I'm very strong at. And if I was going to do it, I'd probably go out of my comfort zone a bit more than Buffalo to really throw myself into it.

Still have a few months to really piece this all together. Curious to see what happens for me :laugh:

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton
This is coming from someone who driving through traffic in my population of 10,000 town, hates that commute. I get so fired up driving in the city, I always bring someone with me or have someone drive my vehicle if it comes down to it. I couldn't imagine taking a subway everywhere and everyone in such a rush to ditch common courtesy.

You say you don't want to travel because you'd rather save money but then your saying that you live paycheck to paycheck. It's time to say eff the rat-race and find somewhere you love, otherwise you turn into that bitter old man by the time your 28. It isn't all that hard getting to know people in a new area....sports/activities, work friends, nightlife, friends of a friend (it's a small world).

You sound miserable in your current situation yet scared of the greatness that's right outside your little cubicle. Grab life by the balls my friend, don't let no woman hold power over what you do. I'll finish this off with a good old, just be a man.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
This is coming from someone who driving through traffic in my population of 10,000 town, hates that commute. I get so fired up driving in the city, I always bring someone with me or have someone drive my vehicle if it comes down to it. I couldn't imagine taking a subway everywhere and everyone in such a rush to ditch common courtesy.

Yep. I find I have become somewhat numb to human suffering between 730a-9a and 6p-730p. Please don't die on my train or subway line. Sounds terrible, because it is. Don't like that about me right now.

You say you don't want to travel because you'd rather save money but then your saying that you live paycheck to paycheck. It's time to say eff the rat-race and find somewhere you love, otherwise you turn into that bitter old man by the time your 28. It isn't all that hard getting to know people in a new area....sports/activities, work friends, nightlife, friends of a friend (it's a small world).

Well, it's a bit different. Right now I'm saving a ton of money and it's great. Moving to New York City to work (wouldn't have to change jobs, as that's where I currently work), live, and play isn't such a similar thing to travelling the world and not working. It's a rat-race, but a different kind. More of a challenge to accept than anything else.

Agree that getting to know people isn't that hard. It's just a bit out of my comfort zone. I'm in a weird spot socially as things stand today. Don't get out much. It's been an odd couple of years.

You sound miserable in your current situation yet scared of the greatness that's right outside your little cubicle. Grab life by the balls my friend, don't let no woman hold power over what you do. I'll finish this off with a good old, just be a man.

Not miserable for the most part. Just... numb. Need something new. Definitely need to cut my commute in half and then go from there. Or, I need to just "man up" as you've said, for lack of a better term. It's a bit of a grind doing the life I'm doing; and I'm eager for the day that I can make a positive change. That day is just a few months away, though. Need to log that year at my current position. Can't ditch before then and burn a bridge that was very generously offered to me.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Of all the linux distributions Mint has the best name.

I remember trying it out a few years ago and can't remember why I didn't stick with it on my dev machine. I recall the UI being pretty slick.

I believe that's Cinnamon?

I enjoyed it the most of the all the desktop environments/setups, but it still had some work to go. I couldn't get hardware acceleration + multiple monitors to work with it, so I ultimately ditched linux on my workstation and stuck with Windows 7.

2014 is the year of linux on the desktop! Yeah... right.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
The ending was awesome..

"what are you doing?"

"I'm distracting you, turd blossom"

:biglaugh: I lost it.

I'm trying to decide which music scene was better: the one from X-men Days of Future Past with Quicksilver or the beginning of this one with Starlord. :laugh:

ZeroPT*

I'm trying to decide which music scene was better: the one from X-men Days of Future Past with Quicksilver or the beginning of this one with Starlord. :laugh:

The quicksilver scene was hilarious. I'm gonna go with that one. It's tight though.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

I enjoyed it the most of the all the desktop environments/setups, but it still had some work to go. I couldn't get hardware acceleration + multiple monitors to work with it, so I ultimately ditched linux on my workstation and stuck with Windows 7.

Honestly, Linux was never meant to be a desktop software. I mean, i know there are a few good distros out there....but OS X is really the only Unix Based OS that really is user friendly and intuitive.

Linux shines as a server. Strapping a GUI onto it always feels wrong.

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
If you were 21 years old and already finished with an advanced diploma in engineering technology, and had the option to obtain your bachelor of engineering throughout a transfer program in only two years would you do it?

I guess what I am asking, does anyone regret not getting more education. Or on the flip side thankful that they decided to go back and get more education. In my situation it's very difficult because being a Civil Technologist can lead to a very good career, but a P.Eng just opens up so much opportunity in pretty much any field.

It's never a bad idea to go out and make professional contacts in the working world. If you plan on going back to school just make sure you are smart with your money...You may want to put off buying a house or having kids until you have completed all the necessary degrees required to land the job you are looking for.

With that said, you are young...I spent 7 years in university and don't regret one moment of it. Don't be in a hurry to "grow up" too quickly. Just make sure you keep your head on straight...take advantage of internship opportunities, go to conferences, network, network, network...etc. If you do that you will come out of school with a lot of job opportunities. My personal preference was to have multiple career paths to choose from, the more education you have the more opportunities available.

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport
Saw this and it probably made laugh more than it should have.

5dde1ac1-5185-495a-82f1-a1cf6f229274.jpg

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011

Exactly.

Even hardcore Linux guys I know who enjoy constantly recompiling/tweaking/etc get sick of having to spend hours on end trying to make a graphics driver work, or having their entire environment take a dump if the wrong package updates.

One of the reasons I like OS X is that I have the BSD stuff underneath when I need/want it, and the GUI up top the rest of the time. For the most part , crap just works, so I can spend my energy working on real problems,not futzing with my workstation. Same can be done on Windows too, so really I can't see any compelling reason to run a workstation for daily use on Linux.

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
What is the money good for if not for having experiences in the world?

:D

Agreed,

Which is why you should always push for as much vacation time as possible when negotiating a contract. What good is a 6 figure plus salary if you never have the free time to go out and enjoy the freedom such a salary brings?

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
Well, I don't have a lot right now. So Money>>>>. When I can get some saved up or win the megamillions (please soon), then they'll flip ;) College students don't get to have money

That is part of what being a student is all about. Saving up enough money just to party on the weekend, or join your friends on a small road trip. lol.

But I do think travel is good when you are young, you learn a lot about yourself..what you like, what you don't like, how you handle stress....etc. When you go aboard for a while. Even if you cannot afford it now, I would recommend taking a small loan to do it. You are only in your late teens/early twenties once.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Well, I don't have a lot right now. So Money>>>>. When I can get some saved up or win the megamillions (please soon), then they'll flip ;) College students don't get to have money

Considering what the expected value of a lotto ticket is, unless the thrill of having a computer spit out a ticket with numbers and then going online the next day to view numbers on a web site generates a substantial amount of utility I do not see the point in spending money on lotto tickets.

That is all.

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton
Agreed,

Which is why you should always push for as much vacation time as possible when negotiating a contract. What good is a 6 figure plus salary if you never have the free time to go out and enjoy the freedom such a salary brings?

Agreeed. Most of my work has been contracts the last couple years and I love just grinding it out for months and then doing as you want for months.. I haven't done much travelling outside of my home area yet, but that's just because I've been investing the majority of my income. After the next year or so I'll be able to start hitting some bucket-list destinations. I'll likely head south for a week or 2 in early 2015 though, have late December to mid-April off. Anyone have recommendations, most go to Cuba/Jamaica from my neck of the woods, open to anything else though.

I'm pretty sure I'll be in BC come next April actually, looking forward to it as I've been told/seen friends insta pics and it's beautiful scenery.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Agreeed. Most of my work has been contracts the last couple years and I love just grinding it out for months and then doing as you want for months.. I haven't done much travelling outside of my home area yet, but that's just because I've been investing the majority of my income. After the next year or so I'll be able to start hitting some bucket-list destinations. I'll likely head south for a week or 2 in early 2015 though, have late December to mid-April off. Anyone have recommendations, most go to Cuba/Jamaica from my neck of the woods, open to anything else though.

I'm pretty sure I'll be in BC come next April actually, looking forward to it as I've been told/seen friends insta pics and it's beautiful scenery.

Costa Rica? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad