OT - NO POLITICS NOT home for the Holidays.................

Status
Not open for further replies.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
Strange week here, the restaurant I work in has been rendered all but dead for the time being as newest restrictions have tables no bigger than 6 ppl and all 6 of them have to be living in the same household and/or bubble if you will. Just killing all business, thankfully our owners also own a sort of fast food burger joint which prints money and it allows them able to absorb this financially tough time

About a month ago I was contacted by this company out of Halifax, they are restaurant consultants (something Victoria doesn`t have) and have just expanded here to the Island, clearly the timing isn`t terrific and the gig won`t likely start until February. Simply put, a restaurant is struggling or doing well but want to do better, I go in as a 30 year vet and identify the issues, put a plan in place to turn things around or improve it, help in everything from proper inventory controls, operations, training and development etc... similar to what you see on say Bar Rescue but spoiler alert for anyone who watches that show and others like it and believe it, YOU CANNOT FIX A RESTAURANT IN 2 DAYS OR A WEEK. Sorry for the Trump like caps

Looking forward to the new opportunity, I get to work with restaurant owners, I pick my schedule (bye bye weekends) and I stay in the restaurant typically for 60-90 days

That's cool. There will be a end to this and a lot of consolidation with consumers going to those restaurants that are well run. Restaurants are very much like a sports team - every play matters and the ability to execute is a combination of prep, skill, dedication and coordination. A tough gig because you need to prove it on every dish going out of the kitchen but a great learning environment if you want to see and understand what it takes to be great, good, or just good enough.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
... similar to what you see on say Bar Rescue but spoiler alert for anyone who watches that show and others like it and believe it, YOU CANNOT FIX A RESTAURANT IN 2 DAYS OR A WEEK.

Say what ????????????

tenor.gif

By the way - I've bartended and been a Bar Manager off and on for the last 30 years ( both in Montreal and Vancouver ) and I think I'm done. Who knows when ( or even if ) bars will ever go back to pre-COVID normal ???? Restaurants are a bit different in that you can space out tables to keep patrons apart but bars are a more social place - most people go there to be around other people and that's going to be hard to do when you are being told to stay at least 6 feet away from other bar patrons. Besides - I'm getting up there in age and the crap I see young customers do in bars now drives me nuts. I used to think their antics were kind of funny but now I just want to wring their scrawny entitled necks. :laugh:

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Found a relatively comfortable position to sit in, now I'm crocheting while binge-watching Forensic Files.

I have learned that if I stand up with more of my weight on my left side, it's not as likely to hurt.

:wally::wally::wally::wally:

:help:

Reactions: BMC and Fenway

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Found a relatively comfortable position to sit in, now I'm crocheting while binge-watching Forensic Files.

I have learned that if I stand up with more of my weight on my left side, it's not as likely to hurt.

When I had sciatica I preferred lying down to sitting, sitting put too much pressure on that nerve. And yeah, leaning on the left side made it easier to stand.

If you have to open any door, get up close to it before pulling it towards you, less strain on the back. If you have to get into a car, sit down on the seat first and then swing your legs into the vehicle. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Bruinaura

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
When I had sciatica I preferred lying down to sitting, sitting put too much pressure on that nerve. And yeah, leaning on the left side made it easier to stand.

If you have to open any door, get up close to it before pulling it towards you, less strain on the back. If you have to get into a car, sit down on the seat first and then swing your legs into the vehicle. Hope this helps.
Driving home from work Wednesday was hard. I got in like you said but it still hurt to raise my right leg far enough to get in the car. Then actually driving hurt my right leg, so I used the left to brake so I wouldn't have to move the right leg that much. Haven't gotten in a car since then. Hoping it calms down by tomorrow.

Reactions: BMC

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

My doctor says I’m way too young to have stenosis but alas I have lumbar stenosis and have that sciatic pain. I found this to give me temporary relief

A Simple Stretch for Sciatica Caused by Spinal Stenosis

“fortunately” a lot of my sciatic pain has been numbed because I had an episode of transverse myelitis and that killed most of the neural pathways in my right leg. So now I can stub my toe and not feel a thing. I’ve walked around with a tack in the bottom of my foot for a long time. Been pretty sweet considering I can walk fine, just makes me feel like an X-men

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
My doctor says I’m way too young to have stenosis but alas I have lumbar stenosis and have that sciatic pain. I found this to give me temporary relief

“fortunately” a lot of my sciatic pain has been numbed because I had an episode of transverse myelitis and that killed most of the neural pathways in my right leg. So now I can stub my toe and not feel a thing. I’ve walked around with a tack in the bottom of my foot for a long time. Been pretty sweet considering I can walk fine, just makes me feel like an X-men
I don't know whether to like this or not...lol

Reactions: Dr Hook and CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I don't know whether to like this or not...lol

:laugh:

honestly I’d rather feel numb than pain so I’m happy about it, sciatica sucks. I hope you feel better and find relief

I keep getting told to do yoga to help with everything, I should probably cave and do it

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
:laugh:

honestly I’d rather feel numb than pain so I’m happy about it, sciatica sucks. I hope you feel better and find relief

I keep getting told to do yoga to help with everything, I should probably cave and do it

Now go do your yoga lol

Reactions: CDJ

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Driving home from work Wednesday was hard. I got in like you said but it still hurt to raise my right leg far enough to get in the car. Then actually driving hurt my right leg, so I used the left to brake so I wouldn't have to move the right leg that much. Haven't gotten in a car since then. Hoping it calms down by tomorrow.

Yeah trying to lift your legs even to just walk is hard when you're in that kind of pain. And yes I used my opposite foot to drive/brake. Looks like you know all the tricks :)

I do hope you feel better soon.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

I've been doing that first exercise before I get out of bed for over 20 years now. It works great! :nod:

Reactions: CDJ

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Yeah trying to lift your legs even to just walk is hard when you're in that kind of pain. And yes I used my opposite foot to drive/brake. Looks like you know all the tricks :)

I do hope you feel better soon.

eightspokedb

pickee chickadee
Sponsor
Jul 17, 2002
cave of caerbannog
Visit site

I am a big fan of Forensic Files...put it on when I need to sleep...the narrator has a great calming voice...

Healing Blessings....

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I am a big fan of Forensic Files...put it on when I need to sleep...the narrator has a great calming voice...

Healing Blessings....
He does have a good voice. Too bad he has to talk about a bunch of creepy stuff though. :laugh:

If I need to sleep I'll put on an episode of Bob Ross's painting show. No mistakes, just happy accidents. :)

Reactions: eightspokedb

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Strange week here, the restaurant I work in has been rendered all but dead for the time being as newest restrictions have tables no bigger than 6 ppl and all 6 of them have to be living in the same household and/or bubble if you will. Just killing all business, thankfully our owners also own a sort of fast food burger joint which prints money and it allows them able to absorb this financially tough time

About a month ago I was contacted by this company out of Halifax, they are restaurant consultants (something Victoria doesn`t have) and have just expanded here to the Island, clearly the timing isn`t terrific and the gig won`t likely start until February. Simply put, a restaurant is struggling or doing well but want to do better, I go in as a 30 year vet and identify the issues, put a plan in place to turn things around or improve it, help in everything from proper inventory controls, operations, training and development etc... similar to what you see on say Bar Rescue but spoiler alert for anyone who watches that show and others like it and believe it, YOU CANNOT FIX A RESTAURANT IN 2 DAYS OR A WEEK. Sorry for the Trump like caps

Looking forward to the new opportunity, I get to work with restaurant owners, I pick my schedule (bye bye weekends) and I stay in the restaurant typically for 60-90 days

To be fair, they are playing with a stacked deck on those shows. They have TV money, resources, mainstream TV clout, etc. From what I understand, Restaurant Impossible is fairly close to what you see being what you get. I always assumed they manufactured the drama, and all of the labor they basically admit to being free. The timeline though, I believe that's real. That's not to say that all the problems are fixed in 48 hours, but the show arrives, wrecks everything, puts it together, and leaves 2 days later.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
To be fair, they are playing with a stacked deck on those shows. They have TV money, resources, mainstream TV clout, etc. From what I understand, Restaurant Impossible is fairly close to what you see being what you get. I always assumed they manufactured the drama, and all of the labor they basically admit to being free. The timeline though, I believe that's real. That's not to say that all the problems are fixed in 48 hours, but the show arrives, wrecks everything, puts it together, and leaves 2 days later.
Doesn't solve all the HR issues though and all the logistics regarding hiring the proper employees for the job

Reactions: TD Charlie

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC

Bin4 or Big Wheel?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Bin4 or Big Wheel?

Big Wheel burger, haven`t actually had a burg from there yet but from what I hear it`s decent but from time to time I help the owners out doing some accounting for the business when they need help and it`s stunning the money those places are making

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

oh for sure you can come in with the right size crew and tear stuff down and put it back all together and yep you can introduce various operation processes but I will bet ya the cheapest box of wine that long before Irvine crew from Restaurant Impossible arrive, they have already done a ton of recon on a place, have long before looked at their books, have all the specs on the size of the building etc...and they have also sent the owner a ton of training information on any point of sales system he plans on installing. While those POS systems aren`t difficult to learn, if you have never used one, they require more than an hour or two of training, especially when your in the weeds with a full restaurant.

While I think they play off the emotional aspect of the restaurant biz, I can assure you, when I can see the stress and pain so many of the owners have I know it`s real, have seen some incredibly painful scenes in my time.

The biggest mistake most restaurant owners have is thinking they can own a restaurant because they have eaten in many over their time. I have worked with many new restaurants, the new owners who have no experience never succeed unless they hire the right leadership and don`t approach things like they know what is best. Doesn`t mean they don`t have a say but they need to trust their leadership and therein lies the process, I`ll wager most inexperienced restaurant owners don`t do the proper vetting of staff. I still, to this day, take a ton of time when hiring a manager/supervisor, even my interviews for serving positions tend to be lengthy

I tend not to watch too many of the restaurant makeover shows, especially Bar Rescue, the volume these people speak to one another in is too hard on my head

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I've been thinking about that Spotify Christmas list and decided to come up with my own top 5:

1. "Carol of the Bells"- just about any version will do, I just love the song
2. "Sleigh Ride" (Arthur Fiedler & Boston Pops version is the best IMHO)
3. "Linus & Lucy"- Vince Guaraldi, "Charlie Brown Christmas"
4. "Merry Christmas, Darling"- The Carpenters (one of the greatest female voices ever)
5. "The Christmas Song"- Nat King Cole

"Carol of the Bells" is always #1 but the other 4 rotate 2-5 depending on my mood.

:xtree::xbg::rudolf:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad