North Bay Battalion 2021-2022 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014
Big wins in Kingston. Gotta close it out saturday. Mathurin hasn't been the same since his injury. Gauvreau draws in....hmmm....do they read this board!?!

Reactions: Uncle

SpezzaNoLookDropPass

May 25, 2016
This has been Christopolous' best game in the O so far. Carrying the puck with confidence. Showing some puck handling prowess and taking it into the paint.

I don't know what it is, but Kingston's game just lacks cohesion and structure for the most part. It's allowing our guys to force easy turnovers and counter with numbers. They've got talented players, but they don't seem to be at their best.
Not sure if Luca Caputi is a good coach. Haven’t been a fan of his demeanor behind the bench

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
Big wins in Kingston. Gotta close it out saturday. Mathurin hasn't been the same since his injury. Gauvreau draws in....hmmm....do they read this board!?!
He’s a solid defender regardless but ya. Almost like he’s purposely trying to keep it simple.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
He’s a solid defender regardless but ya. Almost like he’s purposely trying to keep it simple.
Had a nice rush late in the game tonight after he saw some of Christopolous' stuff.

Mathurin has a really good stick, which is what I think a lot of scouts will notice. Keeps good gaps and can negate some rushes by some dangerous players.

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
Not sure if Luca Caputi is a good coach. Haven’t been a fan of his demeanor behind the bench
He is a rookie coach in a year that he was left a very talented group, but has come up way short. His bench demeanor is panic and yelling at his players and the refs.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
Ownership massively dropped the ball by having a rookie GM and a rookie head coach for a Mem Cup season. This ownership group is the reason why there are so many empty seats. The GM failed to address the team needs (defence, goaltending, possibly coaching) and the team is getting beaten by a more rounded team.

Reactions: three dog night

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Did ownership drop the ball, or did McFarland leave Kingston high and dry?
Once Hamilton acquired Xhekaj & MacTavish (once again, they chose Hamilton), there was no way for any team to improve as much.
Barrie was on fire prior to the deadline, but could not acquire Xhekaj and had no shot at MacTavish even with all their assets; so, Barrie folded.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
Did ownership drop the ball, or did McFarland leave Kingston high and dry?
Once Hamilton acquired Xhekaj & MacTavish (once again, they chose Hamilton), there was no way for any team to improve as much.
Barrie was on fire prior to the deadline, but could not acquire Xhekaj and had no shot at MacTavish even with all their assets; so, Barrie folded.
A bit of both. They had no backup plan and did nothing with the limited notice they received.

I agree that they were in a tough spot at the deadline but it wasn’t a surprise that the D and G were sub par. They had all season and a bit of the off season to address it and while they made limited moves they didn’t do enough, as is quite evident.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
A bit of both. They had no backup plan and did nothing with the limited notice they received.

I agree that they were in a tough spot at the deadline but it wasn’t a surprise that the D and G were sub par. They had all season and a bit of the off season to address it and while they made limited moves they didn’t do enough, as is quite evident.
Idk what they could have done; trade Soto or Ludwinski for …? I don’t believe Thompson added enough WAR.
A trade for Tynan? No.
Drop Peric for nothing, then start a bidding war for Guzda? Ok if it does not upset the room/willingness of future recruits to report; but, I think it was win or lose with highly rated import G.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
Idk what they could have done; trade Soto or Ludwinski for …? I don’t believe Thompson added enough WAR.
A trade for Tynan? No.
Drop Peric for nothing, then start a bidding war for Guzda? Ok if it does not upset the room/willingness of future recruits to report; but, I think it was win or lose with highly rated import G.
I don’t know but the idea of standing pat with a flawed team in an all in year definitely wasn’t the best answer. Hell, selling with those prices might have been the better option. At least then they would have a plan.

It was obvious early on that Merilainen wasn’t going to take them anywhere. To not address that to me was a massive mistake. It would have freed up a Euro spot as well. Sure, it might have ticked off some people but look at the attendance in the second round of the playoffs. You don’t think the fans are ticked off (or were ticked off and are now indifferent). If you think it is bad now, wait until next year. I still don’t know what their plan is going forward.

Reactions: three dog night

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I don’t know but the idea of standing pat with a flawed team in an all in year definitely wasn’t the best answer. Hell, selling with those prices might have been the better option. At least then they would have a plan.

It was obvious early on that Merilainen wasn’t going to take them anywhere. To not address that to me was a massive mistake. It would have freed up a Euro spot as well. Sure, it might have ticked off some people but look at the attendance in the second round of the playoffs. You don’t think the fans are ticked off (or were ticked off and are now indifferent). If you think it is bad now, wait until next year. I still don’t know what their plan is going forward.
The fronts did not trade away any of their ‘03, ‘04, ‘05 picks including two 5th overall, and in season adds should be OAs; so the plan going forward is be competitive while re-tooling rather than getting into another full blown rebuild?

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
The fronts did not trade away any of their ‘03, ‘04, ‘05 picks including two 5th overall, and in season adds should be OAs; so the plan going forward is be competitive while re-tooling rather than getting into another full blown rebuild?
Yes, but they will not likely be getting a high nor low pick next season and seem to be aimed at middling for the next few years. I think the boom and bust approach makes more sense if you are trying to win.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Yes, but they will not likely be getting a high nor low pick next season and seem to be aimed at middling for the next few years. I think the boom and bust approach makes more sense if you are trying to win.
I agree with ‘all-in‘ in the right circumstance like the Petes next season with 8 to 10 ‘03s and 4 ‘04s selected within two rounds; they are already ‘all-in’. Or Hamilton this year, as they were fortunate that the two most sought after players wanted to play there.
I understand you wishing the Frontenac added more. I ask you again, [(on KGN thread if you answer) who not what] could have they added that would have made up for the additions Hamilton made?

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
Will DDV keep the net as long as he wins?

Grayson Ladd’s absence could be key, if in fact it happens. Nice non-call as J. Murray delivered a cross-check style push from behind sending Ladd into the net, landing on his arm/shoulder. The left arm was definitely drooping as he left the ice. If he can’t play, re-inserting Lukin into the lineup is probably the only option and this is not an appealing trade-off for the team.

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
Will DDV keep the net as long as he wins?

Grayson Ladd’s absence could be key, if in fact it happens. Nice non-call as J. Murray delivered a cross-check style push from behind sending Ladd into the net, landing on his arm/shoulder. The left arm was definitely drooping as he left the ice. If he can’t play, re-inserting Lukin into the lineup is probably the only option and this is not an appealing trade-off for the team.
That is terrible news if true. Wow.

LazyDuck

Nov 5, 2021
I agree with ‘all-in‘ in the right circumstance like the Petes next season with 8 to 10 ‘03s and 4 ‘04s selected within two rounds; they are already ‘all-in’. Or Hamilton this year, as they were fortunate that the two most sought after players wanted to play there.
I understand you wishing the Frontenac added more. I ask you again, [(on KGN thread if you answer) who not what] could have they added that would have made up for the additions Hamilton made?
Cooper choked on a major load. Plain and simple.

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
Outwater didn’t return, no Coe, no ladd. Vrbetic kicking it too many rebounds.

Congrats this team has been awesome to watch top to bottom!

We have a formidable opponent next!

Last edited:

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
I spoke with someone at the arena who, while not an insider, has some knowledge of the situation and he said he understands Brandon Coe and Dom D are sick, no speculation if it is Covid or not. With the rather unusual 1 week delay to the start of the next series, hopefully all will be A-OK for next Friday.

Reactions: Uncle
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad