North Bay Battalion 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

SpezzaNoLookDropPass

May 25, 2016
Purboo is the younger back up , so whats your point ?
Tonight the kid gave them a chance to win , while the STARTER was on the pine, and where he should be Sunday .
I’m saying both goalies can steal you a game or get lit up the next, why are you getting so defensive

The Prophet

Apr 6, 2016
I’m saying both goalies can steal you a game or get lit up the next, why are you getting so defensive
Both goalies on any team do not have the same expectations , one is a Starter (#1) and one is a backup(#2) , the #1 needs to be #1 , the backup is a filler who is adjusting to the OHL game , and should never be counted on like the #1 . They are not the EQUAL . For any team to have success they need good tending in both roles , but if your Starter is not really a starter your in a heap of trouble . Last night Purboo had 5 goals against at around the 50 shot mark , that's pretty good for a #2 , and why did he start ? cause Propp
didn't deserve the start after the OS game , at this point of the season you need your #1 to be elevating his game .

LR8

Mar 8, 2018

Stats pretty clear

one goalie 891 save percentage and 4.05 gaa with negative adjusted goal saved against average for the entire league this year, ranking 35th best. 20 of 46 appearances above 900 save percentage = 43% of appearances, and 11 with sub 850.

other goalie with smaller sample size 904 save percentage with 3.65 gaa and +8 AGSAA ranking 13 best in the league this year. Has appeared in 20 games, including 9 games against higher ranked teams that you play like SSM, SAG, London, OSH, Sud and NIA. Include clean up appearances against Sud and Ott and that is 11 of 20 appearances against top teams. 13 of 20 games above 900 save percentage = 65% of appearances, 2 sub 850

Game sheet from game last night 52 against, 27 for and 6 4 loss with empty net goal. Stats appear clear and do not show one goalie getting "lit up" or that he can stink at times. - looks pretty good in fact . Your comment is not fair. If you like one goalie over the other that is your personal opinion but numbers show differently.

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017
Stats pretty clear
I like your Statistical facts unfortunately they can only be used as a base nowadays.
It is so hard to quantify hockey skills that the old static numbers like GAA and Save% don't really paint an accurate picture. I am not sure the new advanced analytics make it any clearer; there are so many variables to consider.
Both goalies have their merits. I am not sure the purpose of criticizing at this point:
Sorta like criticizing a crewman on the titanic for not bailing water quick enough.

barclayplager

Feb 9, 2014
I am a hockey fan...season/weekend pkg. and this team is losing me ...I also do not rate a email line up sheet after spending 250 up front....they looked better under Wray/Dennis combo

SpezzaNoLookDropPass

May 25, 2016
I have no biased
Game sheet from game last night 52 against, 27 for and 6 4 loss with empty net goal. Stats appear clear and do not show one goalie getting "lit up" or that he can stink at times. - looks pretty good in fact . Your comment is not fair. If you like one goalie over the other that is your personal opinion but numbers show differently.
I have no preference for either goalie. All I said was both will shut the door or let in a good one in. I don’t blame either of them for any performance when the defence is atrocious, I’m sure even Mikey Dipetro will struggle behind of this team. Maybe I miss worded my comment, but all I said is both goalies will have bad games and good games

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
NIA vs. NB: I guess we saw what an elite OHL team looks like, 9 NHL draftees, 6 30 goal scorers and they doubled the shots and O-zone time on our team. And yet, they were even on the scoreboard with 5 to play. Not sure who gets the blame &/or credit. I do think CP30 warrants another chance, but I believe Coach has 33 as his main man and he will probably start Sun. From the “oh, by the way” files: OS 8 NB 4; SUD 9 OS 1; therefore SUD ?? NB ??

Note to Barclay re: lineup sheets. Certainly this organization and team have given us plenty of reasons to take a swing at them. If it is about being left out, I understand. If it is about a sheet, they are available throughout the lobby prior to every home game. Fully agree they looked better when the assistants were at the wheel.

Reactions: Samee987

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
I have no biased

I have no preference for either goalie. All I said was both will shut the door or let in a good one in. I don’t blame either of them for any performance when the defence is atrocious, I’m sure even Mikey Dipetro will struggle behind of this team. Maybe I miss worded my comment, but all I said is both goalies will have bad games and good games

Understood. It does appear that one has significantly better numbers and plays fewer games against stronger competition.

SpezzaNoLookDropPass

May 25, 2016
Embellishing is out of control. It needs to be called more often; maybe, 2 min plus 10 min misconduct.
Jumped right infront of walker, rolled around like his leg just got cut off then never missed a shift. What a show. Walker was actually playing quite well until that.

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014
No respect for Candella. Rolling around like a baby, needing help to the bench. Then after the major is assessed he's back on the bench 30 seconds later.

Respect to the coach for not putting him back out right away. Even Stillman was embarrassed by the performance.

Good solid effort by the battalion...they needed it.

The Prophet

Apr 6, 2016
100(one hundred) shots against in 2 games , were not that good , but a win is still a win.
Propp stepped up today. Purboo last game. So much for Butlers defense first systems ? The shots against just exposes the fact that the Troops lack skill on both sides of the puck .

stickhandle

Jul 4, 2007
Just take hitting out of the game , that's where this is heading. That was a violent hit but im not sure it is even a penalty. He was lined up and tried to side step the check it doesnt look like walker stuck his knee out IMO

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Just take hitting out of the game , that's where this is heading. That was a violent hit but im not sure it is even a penalty. He was lined up and tried to side step the check it doesnt look like walker stuck his knee out IMO

I think you need to look at it again. It's too bad there is no slow-mo, but look right before impact. Walker transfers all of his weight into his left leg and clearly leans into him using that same leg. This has been a textbook penalty since the 90's.

Like someone above mentioned you can debate all day about it being a major or a minor. I've seen it called as both a minor and a major but it's such a rare penalty and when it does happen the contact always looks really bad, so I think I've seen it called as a major far more often than I've seen it as a minor. I can remember a few instances at all levels of hockey where I've seen it as a major .I can't off the top of my head recall a minor kneeing penalty, but I'm sure I've seen it.

As for the game, at least the chance of the Sudbury - NB series happening is more likely because of this result.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad