North Bay Battalion 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

LuciferNB

Dec 29, 2018
I think you need to look at it again. It's too bad there is no slow-mo, but look right before impact. Walker transfers all of his weight into his left leg and clearly leans into him using that same leg. This has been a textbook penalty since the 90's.

Like someone above mentioned you can debate all day about it being a major or a minor. I've seen it called as both a minor and a major but it's such a rare penalty and when it does happen the contact always looks really bad, so I think I've seen it called as a major far more often than I've seen it as a minor. I can remember a few instances at all levels of hockey where I've seen it as a major .I can't off the top of my head recall a minor kneeing penalty, but I'm sure I've seen it.

As for the game, at least the chance of the Sudbury - NB series happening is more likely because of this result.

LuciferNB

Dec 29, 2018
I agree it was a penalty, I just don't agree with the major called. I think it was a reaction to the player trying to avoid the contact. I'm sure they called it a major because it was Walker that was involved.

Reactions: View from section 9

SpezzaNoLookDropPass

May 25, 2016
“Sudbury, which outshot the Battalion 18-9 in the frame, failed to capitalize on a major penalty and game misconduct for kneeing issued to Walker at 12:37 for contact with Cole Candella, who lay on the ice and milked the situation”
Nice post game write up on the battalions website, the rivalry is buzzing and I’m all for it

Reactions: Poster man

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
Still trying to figure out why DW11 still has an active roster spot on this team as he routinely does more harm than good. The knee on knee was blatant to my eyes (regardless of the perceived “milking”), the penalties were well deserved and league supplemental discipline is possibly just around the corner. Due to previous suspensions I wouldn’t be surprised if the league gives him a nice round number of 6 to take him through the balance of the schedule. If suspended the question then becomes how do they replace? I suppose bring up Jackson or Hardwick again for some spot duty or just say forget it, we’ll play 1 short heading into this crucial part of the season.

With seasonal GP of 56, 35 and 40 he is either injured or suspended about 1/3 of the time. GP 131, G 13, A 11, TP 24, PIM 238 for the career to date. He has eerily similar numbers to another Coach / GM fave, Mike Baird, who also hung around way too long. Numbers and behaviour are also out of the Zac Poirier playbook. At least GM didn’t burn a high draft choice (2nd and 1st for these latter 2 players) but restrained himself until the 10th round.

The Prophet

Apr 6, 2016
“Sudbury, which outshot the Battalion 18-9 in the frame, failed to capitalize on a major penalty and game misconduct for kneeing issued to Walker at 12:37 for contact with Cole Candella, who lay on the ice and milked the situation”
Nice post game write up on the battalions website, the rivalry is buzzing and I’m all for it
You do know that it is the identical article that was submitted to the Nugget ?
You do know that all game summaries that are sent to the Nugget are written by the Owner ( Abbott) ?
You do know that since Dave Dale left the Nugget , Abbott has done all the Battalion submissions to the Nugget ?
Have you ever heard the saying " Control the press , Control the people" ?

SpezzaNoLookDropPass

May 25, 2016
You do know that it is the identical article that was submitted to the Nugget ?
You do know that all game summaries that are sent to the Nugget are written by the Owner ( Abbott) ?
You do know that since Dave Dale left the Nugget , Abbott has done all the Battalion submissions to the Nugget ?
Have you ever heard the saying " Control the press , Control the people" ?
Ok what’s your point? I found it funny no need to get upset sonny boy

The Prophet

Apr 6, 2016
Ok what’s your point? I found it funny no need to get upset sonny boy
Point ? you pathetically lack knowledge about almost everything, especially hockey . Funny ? no you didn't , you quoted that to show us all that someone else other than you thought Candella "milked it " cause you have always had some sort of love affair with Walker. Upset ? not at all , just don't like stupidity . Sonny boy ? no again that's your name & you cant change it .

Reactions: Lycanthrope

SpezzaNoLookDropPass

May 25, 2016
Point ? you pathetically lack knowledge about almost everything, especially hockey . Funny ? no you didn't , you quoted that to show us all that someone else other than you thought Candella "milked it " cause you have always had some sort of love affair with Walker. Upset ? not at all , just don't like stupidity . Sonny boy ? no again that's your name & you cant change it .
Man it’s really not that deep. All I did was quote a post game write up, well aware it was written by the owner himself, it’s been discussed on the board before, sure I enjoy having a guy like walker being a goon it’s entertaining when other people get going with him but I’ve personally admitted that the things he does is dumb and he’s nowhere close to a candidate for an O/A spot next year. Why do you have to get so emotional over it?

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017

It is for you guys. Having attended yesterday (my first game in NB) it seems your fans in general care about it quite a bit, which is awesome. Some of the fans in Sudbury (including some in our forum) are currently/have embraced it but it still doesn't have the feel that the Barrie & SSM rivalries have to many of us. This is the biggest reason why I preach so much for the playoff series. That's how it can really ignite.

SpezzaNoLookDropPass

May 25, 2016
It is for you guys. Having attended yesterday (my first game in NB) it seems your fans in general care about it quite a bit, which is awesome. Some of the fans in Sudbury (including some in our forum) are currently/have embraced it but it still doesn't have the feel that the Barrie & SSM rivalries have to many of us. This is the biggest reason why I preach so much for the playoff series. That's how it can really ignite.
Once both teams are serious contenders in the same year I’m sure it will be taken to the next level. Gotta hate Sudbury but congrats on the success ;)

Reactions: WaW

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Man it’s really not that deep. All I did was quote a post game write up, well aware it was written by the owner himself, it’s been discussed on the board before, sure I enjoy having a guy like walker being a goon it’s entertaining when other people get going with him but I’ve personally admitted that the things he does is dumb and he’s nowhere close to a candidate for an O/A spot next year. Why do you have to get so emotional over it?
Well how about maybe because the hit he threw (and only he knows his intent) could have potentially side railed or even ended another, frankly more promising players’ career. Not cool, you want to fight, drop em, none of this sideways shite.

Reactions: The Prophet

SpezzaNoLookDropPass

May 25, 2016
Well how about maybe because the hit he threw (and only he knows his intent) could have potentially side railed or even ended another, frankly more promising players’ career. Not cool, you want to fight, drop em, none of this sideways ****e.
He tries to drop them every other shift lol

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014

I thought he "milked it" too....so I'm with Spezza!

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014
Well how about maybe because the hit he threw (and only he knows his intent) could have potentially side railed or even ended another, frankly more promising players’ career. Not cool, you want to fight, drop em, none of this sideways ****e.

No way to talk about a Sudbury boy!!

And by the way, you have a couple of meatheads (28&29) on your team. They've had there fair share of stupidity over the years.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
No way to talk about a Sudbury boy!!

And by the way, you have a couple of meatheads (28&29) on your team. They've had there fair share of stupidity over the years.

Each one of them has more points this year then Walker has in his entire OHL career. May be meatheads, but unlike walker they actually know what a puck looks like.

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
Similar to hit on battalion dman by generals player a few years ago. Injury was the result unfortunately however did not hear Oshawa responding like this. Diving, milking it, find the offending player entertaining is sad response from fan base that knows how dangerous this sort of player and hit can be. No place for this or the comments from fans or team officials. League should take note

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
Joe Vrbetic 9-1-2 in his last 12 with the Voodoo, 1st star 5 times + 3rd star twice. Also shares the NOJHL league lead for save percentage at 0.929

The Prophet

Apr 6, 2016
Similar to hit on battalion dman by generals player a few years ago. Injury was the result unfortunately however did not hear Oshawa responding like this. Diving, milking it, find the offending player entertaining is sad response from fan base that knows how dangerous this sort of player and hit can be. No place for this or the comments from fans or team officials. League should take note
Yep ... the Robbie Burt hit

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014

Then don't lay on the ice, have 3 people drag you off then return to the bench a minute later ready to play. That, my friend is faking a major injury to influence the refs call...#norespect.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Then don't lay on the ice, have 3 people drag you off then return to the bench a minute later ready to play. That, my friend is faking a major injury to influence the refs call...#norespect.

Agree 100%. I’d love to see embellishing be 2 min & 10 for unsportsmanlike and even subject to suspension just like intent to injure.
And 100%, every knee deserves a major penalty and be reviewed, intentional or not, imo.

Last edited:

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
Notes from Tue. afternoon’s workout:

DW11 skated as LW on the 3rd line switching places with Caines who was on the 4th. Speaking of our hired “thug” as described by some, he may well be, but at least he is equal opportunity. During an essentially non-contact close quarters scrimmage around a net, he plastered both ZM3 and PS5 into the boards within about a 10 second span.

There were 8 D-men on ice. David Maier was back fully participating, don’t know if he is ready for game action. And there was a “mystery man”, full face shield, no number on helmet. Possibly a call-up from Powassan, but for what purpose?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad