North American Pro Hockey of the Near Future

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Still an investment. It shows some perceived need on the part of the NHL teams. I'm not saying that the two tiers won't end up collapsing into one; just showing evidence which seems to point to the contrary.

Teams get 50 contracts...why I have no idea. Not needed.

So they stash the worst they have. The only interest is maybe a goalie but the position is fickle as can be really. So few teams are "set"

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Milwaukee isn't a 3 city sport. There's no way they'd do hockey and NBA well. But that radius stuff is ********. Its not like a slew of people are coming from Milwaukee nightly for Hawks games or to the point that it'd cripple the Hawks.

Pretty funny when you consider that thousands of Milwaukee area people still have season tickets for Packers games. Try Google for Gold Package.

This season it is the Eagles in preseason with the Chiefs and Lions for home games 2 and 5. Some STH have both packages.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Well that certainly is a more radical alignment, although at least you came to your senses about Hamilton :sarcasm:

I think the Nashville market is growing too much for relocation to ever happen. They did essentially absorb the Atlanta market after the Thrashers left(Nashville's AHL team would probably do well there.) I would say move the Devils before moving the Preds. Even with their past success that market is being choked off by the Rangers. I wonder if far off into the future we might even see the Rags push the Islanders out.

One last thing, you keep ignoring my beloved city of Abbotsford, think they ever get a professional franchise again? I know a year ago the Canucks' owner wanted to bring their AHL team here but he also wanted to buy the arena as well so it didn't happen. Personally I just hope we can get a WHL team and be done with it, I would hate having to cheer for anything Vancouver affiliated. :help:

Nashville will have the largest population in Tennessee in a few more years, passing Memphis. Being the state capital helps. The Preds had 98% of capacity this year.

Atlanta isn't getting any more pro hockey teams. There is already a team in Duluth (Gwinnett Gladiators) in the ECHL and the Phillips Arena will not allow any hockey teams, which is one reason that the Thrashers had to move out.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Gwinnett is not actually in Atlanta. Its a whole different city and truthfully I can't imagine its easy for Atlanta residents to get to. No Atlanta doesn't deserve another team but Gwinnett isn't in Atlanta either.

As for Tennessee I don't get the hype. It truly is Hicksville USA but I guess different strokes for different folks. I'm amazed they draw well and all because its the South and they love football. Market size has jack to do with relocation. Atleast if its not the following cities: Chicago, LA or NY.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Gwinnett is not actually in Atlanta. Its a whole different city and truthfully I can't imagine its easy for Atlanta residents to get to. No Atlanta doesn't deserve another team but Gwinnett isn't in Atlanta either.

As for Tennessee I don't get the hype. It truly is Hicksville USA but I guess different strokes for different folks. I'm amazed they draw well and all because its the South and they love football. Market size has jack to do with relocation. Atleast if its not the following cities: Chicago, LA or NY.

I was unaware that 1-85 was that difficult to drive.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee

It is hard to figure out where to start in responding to your opinion piece!

Downtown Atlanta to Duluth is 27 miles or a 30 minute drive according to Google. Gwinnett is a county with 805K people just outside of I-285. About half of Gwinnett County borders on Fulton County, where the city of Atlanta is located.

I don't recall having seen a post on HF that maligns an entire state.

What hype? I posted facts! Do you deny that Nashville is the capital of the state? As of 2013, Nashville has 658K people, Memphis has 653K, so Nashville has already passed the population of the city of Memphis.

Fortune 500 companies with offices within Nashville include Dell, HCA and Dollar General. HCA is the largest private operator of hospitals in the world. I am using a Dell to respond. Nashville has had an NHL team since 1998, 17 years, and will continue to have that team for the foreseeable future.

BTW: The New Jersey Devils looked into breaking their lease and relocating to Nashville before the Predators were awarded to Nashville. The Devils were considered as a third NYC area team. So much for your big market idea.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I was unaware that 1-85 was that difficult to drive.

Ah, yes...but the traffic that exists probably makes it less than an ideal seeker for people to want to fight through to watch AA hockey. Atlanta isn't even a good sports market to begin with. The hawks had a banner year this year and they needed nights like a tinder night to draw fans. Yeah...an internet dating app night. The braves couldn't sellout playoff games in their glory years. Granted, Turner Field is way too big and shame on them for 20 years later getting a new stadium. If I were a tax paying resident I'd be pissed.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
It is hard to figure out where to start in responding to your opinion piece!

Downtown Atlanta to Duluth is 27 miles or a 30 minute drive according to Google. Gwinnett is a county with 805K people just outside of I-285. About half of Gwinnett County borders on Fulton County, where the city of Atlanta is located.

I don't recall having seen a post on HF that maligns an entire state.

What hype? I posted facts! Do you deny that Nashville is the capital of the state? As of 2013, Nashville has 658K people, Memphis has 653K, so Nashville has already passed the population of the city of Memphis.

Fortune 500 companies with offices within Nashville include Dell, HCA and Dollar General. HCA is the largest private operator of hospitals in the world. I am using a Dell to respond. Nashville has had an NHL team since 1998, 17 years, and will continue to have that team for the foreseeable future.

BTW: The New Jersey Devils looked into breaking their lease and relocating to Nashville before the Predators were awarded to Nashville. The Devils were considered as a third NYC area team. So much for your big market idea.

Ahh I wouldn't consider them a NY team and neither would new yorkers. Hell they wouldn't even consider the islanders one. One plays in jersey and the other is in a suburb in one of the boroughs. I more the less meant the Rangers. Its a bit different then LA where the Clippers and Lakers both play actually in LA and downtown. Hell by definition NY doesn't have all the sports teams they are accredited for. Devils and islanders have both been the sources of relocation in the past. The rangers? Never....the one team who actually plays in NYC.

You really think people from Atlanta want to fight the traffic on said highway just to watch AA hockey? I don't. They aren't even great sports fans in that city. The braves glory years in the playoffs weren't sellouts. We all know about the Trashers. One of those transplant cities where a lot of people aren't actually from.

Dollar General is like an even cheaper version of Wal-Mart. Not exactly sure I'd brag about stores like those. Money makers but shady business and to the educated folks wouldn't be popular(most of society isn't highly educated and cheap and the suits of these companies realize that) Dell and computer companies in general in the future won't be what they are today. Tablets are becoming a big thing. Sure, companies will still need computers but I think more people are shifting towards phones and iPad's. You can do about anything on them you can on a computer besides maybe printing things off. They are more convenient because you can have them in your lap while watching TV on the couch so you can multi-task.

Maybe it is bigger than Memphis, I never said it wasn't. I just said I don't get the hype of it unless you adore the heck out of country music. I'm not sure though why it matters much. Let's be honest....they don't care about the Admirals except on developing players for them. Nothing more or less and that's really how it is for almost every team. Developing>Winning.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Ah, yes...but the traffic that exists probably makes it less than an ideal seeker for people to want to fight through to watch AA hockey. Atlanta isn't even a good sports market to begin with. The hawks had a banner year this year and they needed nights like a tinder night to draw fans. Yeah...an internet dating app night. The braves couldn't sellout playoff games in their glory years. Granted, Turner Field is way too big and shame on them for 20 years later getting a new stadium. If I were a tax paying resident I'd be pissed.

This is almost like reading Hutch's posts, only with correct grammar and spelling.

It's not that hard to get from Atlanta to Duluth. The rest is immaterial.

Disengage

Nov 11, 2007

Truthfully, you're wrong. At it's very worst traffic, it's a 45 minute drive. This coming from my friend's wife who drove both ways 5 days a week for 8 months. But please, don't let it get in the way of what you think. Your opinion is more important than facts.

js957

Jun 24, 2015
First off, please note that I have no personal investment in any hockey team or league or even in the sport itself. My main interests are in (1) organizing teams into geographic conferences and divisions and (2) trying to realistically and objectively anticipate league and franchise changes, regardless of the sport. When predicting, I make no claim that "this is how things will be." I'm just going for plausibility. So do not take it personally if your team relocates or anything like that in the scenario(s) I present.

~~~~~~

In this scenario, Las Vegas for whatever reason doesn't pan out as an NHL site, and Seattle and Quebec receive expansion teams instead. Also for whatever reason, the Coyotes and Panthers end up relocating to Hamilton and Milwaukee, respectively. I dare not go into detail as to how these changes happened, but ultimately it came down to money, as it always does.

With the NHL at 32 teams, the AHL and ECHL expand to 32 in kind. Following the recent trend, additional AHL franchises are purchased and relocated to sites closer to their new owners. Most vacated AHL sites receive ECHL franchises as compensation. A cascades of affiliation changes occur in concert with this, leading to a one-to-one correspondence between NHL parent, AHL affiliate, and ECHL affiliate by 2025.

So, without further ado, I present below how the three leagues could look as of 2025.

~~~~~~

Key:
() = NHL affiliate in parentheses
* = NHL parent team owns minor league franchise

All relocation notes [in brackets] are relative to the expected 2015-16 league composition.

~~~~~~

NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Atlantic Division
Boston Bruins
Buffalo Sabres
Detroit Red Wings
Montreal Canadiens
Ottawa Senators
Quebec Nordiques [expansion]
Tampa Bay Lightning
Toronto Maple Leafs

Metropolitan Division
Carolina Hurricanes
Columbus Blue Jackets
New Jersey Devils
New York Islanders
New York Rangers
Philadelphia Flyers
Pittsburgh Penguins
Washington Capitals

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Central Division
Chicago Blackhawks
Dallas Stars
Hamilton Bulldogs [was Arizona]
Milwaukee Admirals [was Florida]
Minnesota Wild
Nashville Predators
St. Louis Blues
Winnipeg Jets

Pacific Division
Anaheim Ducks
Calgary Flames
Colorado Avalanche
Edmonton Oilers
Los Angeles Kings
San Jose Sharks
Seattle Totems [expansion]
Vancouver Canucks

~~~~~~

AMERICAN HOCKEY LEAGUE

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Northeast Division
Binghamton Senators (OTT)
Laval Canadiens (MTL*) [was St. John's]
Providence Bruins (BOS)
Rochester Americans (BUF*)
Springfield Falcons (NJD*) [was Albany]
Syracuse Crunch (HAM)
Toronto Marlies (TOR*)
Trois-Rivieres Draveurs (QUE) [expansion]

Atlantic Division
Atlanta Gladiators (NSH*) [was Portland]
Bridgeport Sound Tigers (NYI*)
Charlotte Checkers (CAR)
Hartford Wolf Pack (NYR*)
Hershey Bears (WSH)
Lake Erie Monsters (CBJ)
Lehigh Valley Phantoms (PHI)
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins (PIT*)

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Central Division
Chicago Wolves (CHI*)
Grand Rapids Griffins (DET)
Green Bay Gamblers (MIL*) [was Milwaukee]
Iowa Wild (MIN*)
Peoria Rivermen (STL*) [was Rockford]
San Antonio Rampage (TBL)
Texas Stars (DAL*)
Thunder Bay Bombers (WPG*) [was Manitoba]

Pacific Division
Bakersfield Condors (EDM*)
Fresno Firebirds (VAN*) [was Utica]
Las Vegas Wranglers (COL*) [was Springfield]
Oakland Seals (SJS*) [was San Jose]
Ontario Reign (LAK*)
Reno Renegades (SEA) [expansion]
San Diego Gulls (ANA*)
Stockton Heat (CGY*)

~~~~~~

"ECHL"

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Northeast Division
Manchester Monarchs (NYI*) [was Idaho]
Portland Pirates (NJD) [expansion]
St. John's IceCaps (QUE) [expansion]
Worcester Bruins (BOS*) [was Brampton]

Empire Division
Adirondack Wildcats (MTL*) [was Rapid City]
Albany Senators (OTT) [expansion]
Elmira Jackals (BUF)
Utica Blizzards (TOR*) [was Gwinnett]

Atlantic Division
Norfolk Admirals (CAR*) [was Tulsa]
Reading Royals (PHI)
Toledo Walleye (DET)
Wheeling Nailers (PIT)

Southeast Division
Florida Everblades (TBL)
Greenville Road Warriors (NYR)
Orlando Solar Bears (NSH)
South Carolina Stingrays (WSH)

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Midwest Division
Cincinnati Cyclones (CBJ)
Fort Wayne Komets (WPG)
Indy Fuel (SJS)
Kalamazoo Wings (HAM)

Central Division
Evansville IceMen (MIL)
Missouri Mavericks (STL)
Quad City Mallards (MIN)
Rockford IceHogs (CHI*) [was Alaska]

Southwest Division
Allen Americans (DAL)
Houston Aeros (LAK*) [was Manchester]
Tulsa Oilers (EDM*) [was Norfolk]
Wichita Thunder (VAN)

Mountain Division
Colorado Eagles (COL)
Idaho Steelheads (SEA) [expansion]
Rapid City Rush (CGY*) [was Adirondack]
Utah Grizzlies (ANA)

~~~~~~

Questions, comments, and constructive criticism as to the plausibility of the changes in this scenario are welcome and encouraged! I'm certainly willing to revise the scenario based on such feedback (and have already done so several times). :)
if i where the NJD i would chose Manchester over Springfield the monarchs have have been the most successful non bruins affiliate in New England in terms of fan support

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Truthfully, you're wrong. At it's very worst traffic, it's a 45 minute drive. This coming from my friend's wife who drove both ways 5 days a week for 8 months. But please, don't let it get in the way of what you think. Your opinion is more important than facts.

45 minutes isn't exactly what I'd call ideal to go to somewhere close. But I also live in a place where everything is about 5 minutes away and traffic hardly ever exists so to me 45 minutes to go see not so great minor league hockey isn't worth it. Plus you're talking about one of the bigger cities in the country who have pro franchises in the major league sports minus NHL. I highly doubt the demand or interest is there to go see minor league sports regardless of any of this. And that's a big piece.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
This is almost like reading Hutch's posts, only with correct grammar and spelling.

It's not that hard to get from Atlanta to Duluth. The rest is immaterial.

Yet...don't you live in lame upstate, NY? So how would you truthfully know?

Even so I highly doubt the demand or interest is there for residents in a big city like Atlanta to do any kind of traveling OE having to put forth minimal effort to go watch subpar minor league hockey. Why would they be? They had no interest in watch NHL hockey. Its not a money issue.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
if i where the NJD i would chose Manchester over Springfield the monarchs have have been the most successful non bruins affiliate in New England in terms of fan support

They don't care about fan support. Hell most teams don't even care about winning. For them(and other NHL teams who have AHL teams)its just a nice tax write off.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Yet...don't you live in lame upstate, NY? So how would you truthfully know?

Even so I highly doubt the demand or interest is there for residents in a big city like Atlanta to do any kind of traveling OE having to put forth minimal effort to go watch subpar minor league hockey. Why would they be? They had no interest in watch NHL hockey. Its not a money issue.

I have traveled on I-85 numerous times as I used to have business meetings in Atlanta every six weeks and have family in Duluth, so that drive is very familiar to me. So, yes, I truthfully know it's not that hard of a drive.

I don't live in NY, which should have been obvious as my location just to the left of this post says "Worcester, MA".

Nerdlinger

Hockey Noob
Mar 31, 2015
Not Vietnam

I figured the AHL would want to keep a team in Springfield because it's where their league office is located. If the current Falcons were relocated without replacement, the AHL would lose quite a bit of face. So here I had the Avalanche purchase the Falcons and move the franchise to Las Vegas. The Avalanche appeased the league and greased the wheels a little by compensating the Devils for simultaneously relocating their struggling Albany affiliate to Springfield. This of course is just one possible scenario. I'm not saying it would definitely go down like this.

js957

Jun 24, 2015
I figured the AHL would want to keep a team in Springfield because it's where their league office is located. If the current Falcons were relocated without replacement, the AHL would lose quite a bit of face. So here I had the Avalanche purchase the Falcons and move the franchise to Las Vegas. The Avalanche appeased the league and greased the wheels a little by compensating the Devils for simultaneously relocating their struggling Albany affiliate to Springfield. This of course is just one possible scenario. I'm not saying it would definitely go down like this.

i forgot the league was based in Springfield do you think the isles will work out a deal with the rangers which will allow the sound tigers to move to the Coliseum with the rangers moving the wolf pack to Bridgeport to honor the lease

Nerdlinger

Hockey Noob
Mar 31, 2015
Not Vietnam
i forgot the league was based in Springfield do you think the isles will work out a deal with the rangers which will allow the sound tigers to move to the Coliseum with the rangers moving the wolf pack to Bridgeport to honor the lease

I recall reading that rumor somewhere, and actually incorporated it into earlier versions of the scenario in the OP. There was also skepticism from somewhere else (perhaps on this site?) that the Coliseum would ever be used for hockey again. I regret not keeping track of the sources.

Nerdlinger

Hockey Noob
Mar 31, 2015
Not Vietnam
Here's what I consider a fairly plausible vision of a farther-off future, say by 2040 perhaps, where the NHL has expanded to 36 teams, as have both pro minor leagues. Unlike the radical scenario, the NHL tenaciously clings to all its existing Sunbelt markets (except Phoenix) and even goes so far as to expand into Houston. As in the previous two scenarios, there is significant relocation and reaffiliation, leading to a greater western AHL presence and a one-to-one correspondence between NHL parent and minor league affiliate on each tier. And similar to the radical scenario, the ECHL eventually ends up absorbing the strongest SPHL franchises and finally changes its name.

So below is what the leagues look in like this scenario by 2040 or so.

~~~~~~

Key:
() = NHL affiliate in parentheses
* = NHL parent team owns minor league franchise

All relocation notes [in brackets] are relative to the expected 2015-16 league composition.

~~~~~~

NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Atlantic Division
Boston Bruins
Buffalo Sabres
Detroit Red Wings
Florida Panthers
Montreal Canadiens
Ottawa Senators
Quebec Nordiques [expansion]
Tampa Bay Lightning
Toronto Maple Leafs

Metropolitan Division
Carolina Hurricanes
Columbus Blue Jackets
Hamilton Bulldogs [expansion]
New Jersey Devils
New York Islanders
New York Rangers
Philadelphia Flyers
Pittsburgh Penguins
Washington Capitals

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Central Division
Chicago Blackhawks
Colorado Avalanche
Dallas Stars
Houston Aeros [expansion]
Milwaukee Admirals [expansion]
Minnesota Wild
Nashville Predators
St. Louis Blues
Winnipeg Jets

Pacific Division
Anaheim Ducks
Calgary Flames
Edmonton Oilers
Las Vegas Black Knights [was Arizona]
Los Angeles Kings
Portland Rosebuds [expansion]
San Jose Sharks
Seattle Thunderbirds [expansion]
Vancouver Canucks

~~~~~~

AMERICAN HOCKEY LEAGUE

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Northeast Division
Binghamton Senators (OTT)
Bridgeport Sound Tigers (NYR*) [was Hartford]
Laval Canadiens (MTL*) [was St. John's]
Providence Bruins (BOS)
Rochester Americans (BUF*)
Springfield Falcons (NJD*) [was Albany]
Syracuse Crunch (HAM)
Toronto Marlies (TOR*)
Trois-Rivieres Draveurs (QUE) [expansion]

Atlantic Division
Atlanta Gladiators (NSH) [expansion]
Charlotte Checkers (CAR)
Florida Everblades (FLA) [expansion]
Hershey Bears (WSH)
Lake Erie Monsters (CBJ)
Lehigh Valley Phantoms (PHI)
Nassau Islanders (NYI*) [was Bridgeport]
Orlando Solar Bears (TBL*) [was Portland]
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins (PIT*)

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Central Division
Chicago Wolves (CHI*)
Colorado Eagles (COL*) [was Springfield]
Grand Rapids Griffins (DET)
Green Bay Gamblers (MIL*) [was Milwaukee]
Iowa Wild (MIN*)
Missouri Mavericks (STL*) [was Rockford]
San Antonio Rampage (HOU)
Texas Stars (DAL*)
Thunder Bay Bombers (WPG*) [was Manitoba]

Pacific Division
Bakersfield Condors (EDM*)
Fresno Firebirds (SEA) [expansion]
Long Beach Ice Dogs (POR) [expansion]
Oakland Seals (SJS*) [was San Jose]
Ontario Reign (LAK*)
Reno Renegades (LVG) [expansion]
Sacramento Comets (VAN*) [was Utica]
San Diego Gulls (ANA*)
Stockton Heat (CGY*)

~~~~~~

UNITED HOCKEY LEAGUE

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Northeast Division
Adirondack Wildcats (MTL*) [was Rapid City]
Albany Devils (NJD) [expansion]
Elmira Jackals (BUF)
Hartford Wolf Pack (NYR*) [was Florida]
Manchester Monarchs (NYI*) [was Orlando]
Portland Pirates (POR) [expansion]
St. John's IceCaps (QUE) [expansion]
Utica Senators (OTT*) [was Gwinnett]
Worcester Bruins (BOS*) [was Wichita]

Atlantic Division
Brampton Beast (TOR)
Cincinnati Cyclones (CBJ)
Greenville Road Warriors (SEA)
Knoxville IceBears (NSH) [expansion]
Norfolk Admirals (WSH*) [was Alaska]
Reading Royals (PHI)
South Carolina Stingrays (CAR)
Toledo Walleye (DET)
Wheeling Nailers (PIT)

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Central Division
Evansville IceMen (SJS)
Fort Wayne Komets (MIL)
Huntsville Havoc (FLA) [expansion]
Indy Fuel (WPG)
Kalamazoo Wings (HAM)
Pensacola Ice Flyers (TBL) [expansion]
Peoria Rivermen (STL) [expansion]
Quad City Mallards (MIN)
Rockford IceHogs (CHI*) [was Missouri]

Frontier Division
Alaska Aces (EDM*) [was Norfolk]
Allen Americans (DAL)
Arizona Coyotes (LVG) [expansion]
Idaho Steelheads (VAN)
Oklahoma City Barons (LAK*) [was Manchester]
Rapid City Rush (CGY*) [was Adirondack]
Tulsa Oilers (HOU)
Utah Grizzlies (ANA)
Wichita Thunder (COL*) [was Colorado]

~~~~~~

As always, questions, comments, and constructive criticism are welcome! :)

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I have traveled on I-85 numerous times as I used to have business meetings in Atlanta every six weeks and have family in Duluth, so that drive is very familiar to me. So, yes, I truthfully know it's not that hard of a drive.

I don't live in NY, which should have been obvious as my location just to the left of this post says "Worcester, MA".

Couldn't see that. I'm on mobile and that doesn't show, sorry lol

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere

Well ECHL league office is near Trenton and the league president worked for Trenton, still couldn't save them. Springfield is a chore to keep around, eventually unless somebody bored shows up all pompous on his dark knight like Lou Lamirello they will run out of time. Doubt the league wants to actually run a team or could.

Last edited:

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I'm not saying these future scenarios are what should happen; I'm just proposing that they could happen quite plausibly.

True. I'm surprised at Houston though. It is a Top 5 major city in the country. You'd expect they'd have a team before Dallas. Sounds like they will make the gamblers happy and add Vegas lol

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
Tampa Bay / Florida will stay in the same division as Bos / Tor / Mtl / Buff - not because it seems to make geographic sense, but because those markets rely on the vacationers from up north for a large chunk of their ticket sales. As on example, if you look at the Panthers / Lightning schedule, they are always at home over Christmas, during which time they host the Habs / Leafs / Bruins. Those are the only games the Panthers come close to filling the arena.

Then there's the factor of Boston and Tampa Bay having had a rivalry in MLB for years, and Buffalo and Miami's storied rivalry in the NFL (which was at its peak when Jim Kelly and Dan Marino were both in the league).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad