Non-Minnesota NHL News XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northland Wild Man

Finnesotans?
Jun 14, 2011
Grand Forks, ND
They're probably just putting it at the back of the episode because they want the eastern conference teams to be completely covered first.

Yup, just saw it, Torts is full of ****. Honestly after hearing his explanation for what happened, he needs to be suspended for like 10 games to get his head straight.

They can't take away his toys!!

0:47....epic

Holy smokes

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
He's allowed to be pissed. But he handled it like a 3-year old. He always handles things like a 3-year old. That's the difference between a good coach that gets respect and one who becomes a joke.

Besides, it was his own team's childish antics in the past week that probably drove the Flames to start their goons.

Good point.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
According to McKenzie, Torts may get a month long suspension.

Just heard Bob McKenzie mention on SportsCentre that Tortorella is facing a suspension of up to a month. Hartley may get fined as well for player selection, though he did not break any rules.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
So, Calgary started a bunch of goons in order to possibly injured as many Vancouver players as possible, Torts gets pissed for a very legit reason and gets suspended? Yeah. Good job, NHL.

I hate Vancouver as much as anybody but Tortorella had every reason in the world to get mad. That was a cheap move by the Flames.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Oh come on. What he did was childish and completely unacceptable. even he said he was embarrassed for what he did.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Oh come on. What he did was childish and completely unacceptable. even he said he was embarrassed for what he did.

I never said that doing what he did was acceptable. I just said he had every reason in the world to be as pissed off as he was.

It's easy to analyze from home and berate someone when you're not involved in the heat of the moment. If I was a coach and saw the opposite coach line up a bunch of goons in order to injure my players (with a guy making his NHL debut on the ice), I'd be going for the guys' head, too.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
Man, what a joke. Lots of people saying it, but it's true--this is the stuff that's holding the NHL back from mainstream popularity in the US. I don't even want to take fighting out of the game, but a line brawl off the opening faceoff?

Suspend both coaches for a week.

And Jamie Benn. (I'm not bitter...)

Puckschmuck*

Torts is just endless entertainment.

So is this guy

zDwY9zv.jpg

OpRedDawn*

so... a 4th line can't start the game now? wtf lol

Why even have a 4th line or tough guys in the game then?

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
It's not just starting a game, it's also where they started. Westgarth taking the draw? Hartley knew exactly what he was doing.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
so... a 4th line can't start the game now? wtf lol

Why even have a 4th line or tough guys in the game then?

Lots of people have been asking this question lately...

Personally, I don't go quite that far, but a staged fight––especially on the first faceoff––is just ****ing stupid. I'm all for punishing both coaches for the conduct of their players in this case.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
so start your first line and go score

Tortorella said he didn't want to put the Sedins out there and get them injured or wrapped up in fights, since that's clearly what Calgary was going for. I don't know that I completely agree that it was justified, and I think he sort of took their bait, but I do at least see why he'd be irritated by the move.

Like I said before, embarrassing conduct by both teams and the coaches should be held accountable.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
The shootout will be interesting. Blackhawk firepower VS Tuukka Rask. With that said, it's a shame that such a game will have to end artificially, instead of by playing hockey like it should.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Tortorella said he didn't want to put the Sedins out there and get them injured or wrapped up in fights, since that's clearly what Calgary was going for. I don't know that I completely agree that it was justified, and I think he sort of took their bait, but I do at least see why he'd be irritated by the move.

Like I said before, embarrassing conduct by both teams and the coaches should be held accountable.

Tortorella (and i'm sure most sane people familiar with them) in no way believed the Sedins were going to get in fights or injured facing off against Calgary's fourth line. utter ********. The worse that could happen would be for them to get grabbed and turtle, sending out the offenders with lone game misconducts and shortening Calgary's bench the entire game without shortening Vancouvers. he really wanted the goonery that ensued.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
So, Calgary started a bunch of goons in order to possibly injured as many Vancouver players as possible, Torts gets pissed for a very legit reason and gets suspended? Yeah. Good job, NHL.

I hate Vancouver as much as anybody but Tortorella had every reason in the world to get mad. That was a cheap move by the Flames.

It's not so much that he was pissed off than it is how he handled things in a completely inappropriate manner by going to the opposing teams locker room and shouting at them.

And I think after the way the Canucks have been playing lately, gooning it up a bit more than usual, the Flames were justified starting their 4th line.

Wild48

Ski U Mah
Nov 10, 2011
Duluth
It's not so much that he was pissed off than it is how he handled things in a completely inappropriate manner by going to the opposing teams locker room and shouting at them.

And I think after the way the Canucks have been playing lately, gooning it up a bit more than usual, the Flames were justified starting their 4th line.

Another thing that muddies the waters on who's at "fault" is several Canucks were chirping in the media calling Calgary soft, and a bunch of pushovers.

Teams generally respond the way Calgary did when they get challenged like that.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Tortorella (and i'm sure most sane people familiar with them) in no way believed the Sedins were going to get in fights or injured facing off against Calgary's fourth line. utter ********. The worse that could happen would be for them to get grabbed and turtle, sending out the offenders with lone game misconducts and shortening Calgary's bench the entire game without shortening Vancouvers. he really wanted the goonery that ensued.

No, he didn't. Westgarth taking the face off tipped Hartley's hand. If Tortorella puts the Sedins in the position to take even one punch from those guys, he's not doing his job. He could've put out his 3rd line, but then he runs of the risk of losing his entire 3rd line for the game, instead of 4th line players.

And honestly, if this would've been us, and Yeo even had a sliver of a thought that this might happen, he puts out either Parise/Koivu or Granlund/Pominville, I'd want him fired at intermission.

Dampland

Mar 14, 2011
Gainfully Employed

Agree 100%, Torts knew exactly what he was doing, and now he is just trying to play mind games. He is a **** head of enormous proportions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad