Non-Minnesota NHL News XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
I think everyone agrees that Chicago and St.Louis are the class of the division and will finish 1, 2 in the division, with the new playoff format and the top 3 in the division make it The Wild are now 7 points behind Colorado already. I know we are less than 10 games in, but is anyone concerned we may fall to far behind Colorado early? A young team that starts off hot can be dangerous if they start to believe they can win. You dont ever want to fall behind double digits in points very hard to make that up with the 3 point games. Am I worried to early?

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
we already have fallen behind the Avs early...but not too far.

but not particularly worried. pretty much thought they'd be right behind us at the end of the year. still think that.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
I have concerns, yet at the same time, we don't have to look that far back to remember the Wild at the start of 2011. It's very early, and teams that start off hot can crumble, while those slow out of the gate can peak at the right time later in the season. We've seen it with so many teams. We are barely into a new season.

The Avs still have many flaws, and thankfully for them, they have good goaltending. That's something we use to ride for many years. I'm not sold on them at all. Will they finish ahead of the Wild. Could very well do so. But will they completely turn over a new leaf? That remains to be seen. Get back to me in January on that.

LOTS of hockey to be played.

purexed

Sep 1, 2013
Minnesota
Am I worried to early?

Yes, it's too early to dread. I doubt Colorado's success is sustainable long term. Conversely, the Wild's drought will end soon enough. You never know though, the Wild were 1st place and then dropped of the face of the earth the second half of the season in 2011

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
They have one of the most promising young cores the league has seen for a while, and they're currently playing with confidence. That's deadly - but I doubt they can keep it up long-term.

Billy Mays Here*

Not trying to turn this into another bash Koivu thread, but what I wouldn't give for a center like Duchene.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
SoH was right all along!

1. Sell all vets for picks.
2. Lose badly for years, collect top five draft picks
3. Lose several more years while they're learning.
4. Profit. Maybe.

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
SoH was right all along!

1. Sell all vets for picks.
2. Lose badly for years, collect top five draft picks
3. Lose several more years while they're learning.
4. Profit. Maybe.

Sounds familiar. KIND OF like the Edmonton Oilers.

Billy Mays Here*

yeah, it'd be great to wind up with a top 3 pick, wouldn't it? :laugh:

Would still be better than finishing about 10 points out of a playoff spot and drafting around 10th overall. I definitely wouldn't want it to happen three or more times like Colorado or Edmonton, but can anyone here say looking back on it now that they would've absolutely hated the idea of losing a bit more one of those seasons and getting a top 3 pick rather than a top 10 pick? Outside of 2011 when we drafted Brodin of course because he's awesome. I like Granlund and am really rooting for him but imagine if we would've gotten to draft second overall and gotten Seguin instead? Or imagine if instead of Dumba we got Galchenyuk?

Northland Wild Man

Finnesotans?
Jun 14, 2011
Grand Forks, ND
Patrick Roy's stuff will wear off soon enough. I still think they crash hard at some point this season.

As for being really bad to become better, It works for some teams, but not for others. LA, Chicago, and Pittsburgh were all pretty bad not so long ago. Edmonton is the reason this is a dangerous strategy, at least so far.

MNjens

Sep 27, 2013
2 years a go Edmonton came out on fire and faded quickly. I expect something similar to that. Their goaltender has been on a remarkable run, but it won't last forever. Still wouldn't be surprised if they finish 4th or 5th in our division.

Seriously have a man crush on Duchene though. The kid is so sick. His speed and hands are amazing.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
I think the Avs are kinda like the Wild last year, but with better offense and worse defense. So I think they barely make the playoffs and get eliminated in the first round.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
IMO, no way in hell can the Avs maintain that, especially with their craptastic D. Their goaltending cannot continue at the rate it has been going, and the forwards will start to get bogged down by opposing teams d and forecheckers.

I might be wrong about this, but I also think Roy, with his style of coaching, will burn out the players over the next couple years, similar to what Tortorella does.

We wish we had a fiery coach, but it needs to be in balance, and those coaches frequently have short shelf lives.

Burnaby_Joe*

Still too early in the season. Of course I'm happy the way things are going, but we'll come back down to earth soon enough. We're enjoying it while we can :)

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
i was all "damn the corsi!" when we were on top then numbers punched me in the balls. :(

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
Would still be better than finishing about 10 points out of a playoff spot and drafting around 10th overall. I definitely wouldn't want it to happen three or more times like Colorado or Edmonton, but can anyone here say looking back on it now that they would've absolutely hated the idea of losing a bit more one of those seasons and getting a top 3 pick rather than a top 10 pick? Outside of 2011 when we drafted Brodin of course because he's awesome. I like Granlund and am really rooting for him but imagine if we would've gotten to draft second overall and gotten Seguin instead? Or imagine if instead of Dumba we got Galchenyuk?

with hindsight, yes--you can always say it would be great to do this or that but putting yourself in that situation right now...would you sell your car and have no way to get to work, risk losing your job and house, just to buy a couple hundred shares of this little company your friend was starting? hell no you wouldn't. would it be painful to look back 10 years from now and see that you'd be a millionaire if you'd done it? yes. would you take that chance on someone else (same situation, though a different industry and person) a year from that? probably not.

Willie Plett

Cold Lampin'
Oct 18, 2008
Stasney is a UFA at the end of the year. McKinnon and Duchene are gonna center the top 2 lines for a while and Stasney isn't gonna be happy with third line minutes. i don't see how the Av's don't shop him for D at some point this year. if they're goaltending holds up,the Av's are gonna be a problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad