Non-Minnesota NHL News XIV - Seattle Expansion(?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Losing Crawford around X-mas sunk their season. They've been treading water at 7-7-3 without him, but a .500 record just won't work in the Central.

They're in rough shape. One of those teams where the obvious thing to do - getting younger value back for Kane, Seabrook, or Keith even - is painful, difficult and unpopular. Oh well, three Cups is an amazing legacy to rest on for a while.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
They're in rough shape. One of those teams where the obvious thing to do - getting younger value back for Kane, Seabrook, or Keith even - is painful, difficult and unpopular. Oh well, three Cups is an amazing legacy to rest on for a while.

Don't all 3 of those players have full NMC's?

Seabrook and Keith are in their 30's and declining (to different extents) have long and expensive contracts. They'd get about as much as Parise would in trade, if they'd accept it.

Kane as good as he is, still has a $10.5m cap hit attached to him. I don't think he'll fall off a cliff, but be has 900+ NHL games played and 18,000+ mins ToI, and he's not even 30. That is a lot wear and tear over the years.

The Saad for Panarin trade hasn't worked out well for them either.

They are an older core with expensive contracts, but thy are also playing half a dozen guys on their ELCs.

Hossa probably gets shipped out to a cap floor team. $5.3m cap hit, but only $1m in salary for the next 3 years. He has a NMC, but what will he really care if his playing career is over?

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
I was going to ask why Hossa's contract wouldn't be mostly relieved while he's on LTIR, but then I looked up LTIR to find out how it works and my eyes developed an allergy to it. I think the example equation they used here is only super coincidentally pretty close to Chicago/Hossa's numbers:
LTIR FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Maybe it's not that close. I don't know. Eye allergy.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I was going to ask why Hossa's contract wouldn't be mostly relieved while he's on LTIR, but then I looked up LTIR to find out how it works and my eyes developed an allergy to it. I think the example equation they used here is only super coincidentally pretty close to Chicago/Hossa's numbers:
LTIR FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Maybe it's not that close. I don't know. Eye allergy.

LTIR basically raises just the amount a team cap spend over the cap, but only for the duration of time the player on LTIR. It doesn't actually save a team any money.

So instead of a $75m cap, the Hawks have an ~$80m cap because of Hossa on LTIR.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
From the point of view of someone not writing the checks, it's effectively the same thing as not having him on the roster though, right? It doesn't cost the Hawks cap space to keep Hossa around, but he's $1m or so wasted money every year for the owner?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Don't all 3 of those players have full NMC's?

Seabrook and Keith are in their 30's and declining (to different extents) have long and expensive contracts. They'd get about as much as Parise would in trade, if they'd accept it.

Kane as good as he is, still has a $10.5m cap hit attached to him. I don't think he'll fall off a cliff, but be has 900+ NHL games played and 18,000+ mins ToI, and he's not even 30. That is a lot wear and tear over the years.

The Saad for Panarin trade hasn't worked out well for them either.

They are an older core with expensive contracts, but thy are also playing half a dozen guys on their ELCs.

Hossa probably gets shipped out to a cap floor team. $5.3m cap hit, but only $1m in salary for the next 3 years. He has a NMC, but what will he really care if his playing career is over?

He doesn't play a "wear and tear" type of game, ala Parise. Same kind of deal as Kessel.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
From the point of view of someone not writing the checks, it's effectively the same thing as not having him on the roster though, right? It doesn't cost the Hawks cap space to keep Hossa around, but he's $1m or so wasted money every year for the owner?

Most contracts are insured so they don't cost the owners much real money if a players gets LTIRed. There is a cap floor that all teams have to meet.

That $1m spent on a $5m hit could be looked at as saving $4m for a cap floor team. If the cap floor (tanking) is $60m and the team is at a $55m the owner can:
A. pay me to sit in the pressbox and make popcorn for $5m/yr, and get to $60m
B. trade for Hossa and pay only $1m (but has a $5m cap hit), and got to $60m

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Some interesting names on waivers today:
-Marcus Kruger
-Josh Jorris
-Brendan Smith

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Pittsburgh just beat Saint Louis 4-1. We're now 5 points back of them with 3 games in hand.

You could toss a blanket over SJ, LA, Ducks, Flames, Stars, Blues, Wild, and Avs in the standings right now. Jets are having some goalie injury issues currently so they could easily fall back into that mess too.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011

They'd be lucky to trade Kane or Seabrook - Both have crazy contracts.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Eichel got another high ankle sprain last night. If the guy didn't have bad luck, he'd have no luck at all.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
You could toss a blanket over SJ, LA, Ducks, Flames, Stars, Blues, Wild, and Avs in the standings right now. Jets are having some goalie injury issues currently so they could easily fall back into that mess too.
Newcastle just won one game and went from 18th to 13th in the Premier League.:banana:

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
St.Louis loses, Winnipeg loses and Dallas down 5-0 so far a good day for the Wild

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
If Buffalo can pull out a win over Colorado it'll be a superb day. Probably not likely, but Colorado's hurting with MacKinnon out and Buffalo did just beat Boston last night...

Wabit

May 23, 2016
If Buffalo can pull out a win over Colorado it'll be a superb day. Probably not likely, but Colorado's hurting with MacKinnon out and Buffalo did just beat Boston last night...

Buf gave up a goal in the first minute of the game to the Avs. The game might as well be over for Buffalo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad