Non-Minnesota NHL News XIV - Seattle Expansion(?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Tom Lynn made the point that Columbus and Minnesota were basically punished for being expansion franchises - still made a conference final! (Management was far worse in Ohio by the way.) But as someone pointed out, Vegas was gifted an entire team of 2nd liners. What I wonder is whether Seattle will have to operate under a much more difficult set of terms, because this time the league went a little too far, arguably.

What was their franchise fees? Wasn't it under $100 million? I have a very hard time believing that anybody would pay as much as Vegas did operating under the 2000 expansion rules.

The owners wanted their $17 million checks and were willing to lose some decent players to get it.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
Does anyone dare count the Hawks out of the playoff race? Ill admit I laughed at all the people on main page that said they would miss the playoffs this year before the season, but they may be right

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015
Does anyone dare count the Hawks out of the playoff race? Ill admit I laughed at all the people on main page that said they would miss the playoffs this year before the season, but they may be right
It's a strong bet they are. 6 points out of spot, Crawford is likely done for the season (he was keeping them afloat), the defense isn't that good, and the offense has declined. Maybe they can get hot but they would be relying on Jeff Glass or Anton Forsberg to elevate their game. Do you really trust that to happen?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
They're not terrible, but they're in the wrong division to be not-great. With Crawford out and the Jets and Avs hitting their respective strides, Chicago's almost certainly toast.

Put them in the Atlantic and they'd have a real shot at it.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The Hawks looked pretty bad last night. Saad...don't see much there. Keith is finally showing his age. Sharp is a non entity. A couple of good looking young players, but nothing outstanding. Hawks have faked it before during the regular season then turned it on for the playoffs, but I just don't see it this year. There are no bad teams in the Central, making that approach near impossible.

Would be funny if they got Dahlin.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Reallllly good story by Russo on Brock Boeser at the Athletic today. Appears to be unlocked for anyone to read too.

NonsenseElimination

Jan 1, 2016
All-star skills comp gets worse every year. Is the goal of the NHL to try and make these guys look like beer leaguers? The small part I saw was dreadful.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Jagr placed on waivers. Sounds like this could be the end. Rumor has it he'll go play in Europe if unclaimed.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Jagr placed on waivers. Sounds like this could be the end. Rumor has it he'll go play in Europe if unclaimed.

I'd still like to have him on the Wild, he couldn't be any worse than Winnik or Ennis on the Staal or Coyle line (could he?). No contract spots sadly.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
My question is, why would the Wild scratch Stewart before Winnik or Ennis?

Stewie's last 6 games (since New Year) are 0's across the board: 3 shots (all in 1 game), 1 hit, 0 points, 0 blocks, 0 penalties, 0 +/-; it's hard to be anymore invisible.
Since Jan 1st:
-Foligno has 7p, 20 hits, 14 shots, +4
-Ennis with 3p and about 2 shots a game.
-Winnik with 4p, 14 shots, +4

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Stewart is not only probably the worst player on the team, he's one of the worst/least effective players in the entire league.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Apparently I'm just not paying enough attention to the NHL this season, but I had no idea Boston was having such a good season. They have points in 18 straight games, for a record of 14-0-4. Go back a bit further, and it's 23-3-4 in the last 30. Crazy!

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Stewart: GP: 43; G: 8; A: 4; P: 12; +/-: -2
Ennis: GP: 47; G: 6; A: 7; P: 13; +/-: -5
Cullen GP: 48; G: 4; A: 7; P: 11; +/-: -9
Cullen has been pretty bad himself, but he is asked to do things that would never be asked of Stewart. Wouldn't be too hard to make an argument that Stewart has been just as good if not better than both Ennis and Foligno though.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Stewart is propped up by his first 6 games playing on the top line; normal disappearing act soon followed.

I don't have any issues with anybody currently in the lineup playing over him.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I've been convinced that either Kane or Pacioretty would end up in Nashville, but I guess Poile's going another direction.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Interesting. How old is he now? Maybe he's pulling a Favre and didn't want to go through an entire season this late in his career. Favre was more preseason/ training camp I guess.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Interesting. How old is he now? Maybe he's pulling a Favre and didn't want to go through an entire season this late in his career. Favre was more preseason/ training camp I guess.
37, I think. Sounds like it was more Nashville convincing him to come back than him convincing Nashville to let him come back, which is interesting.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Just happened to see that Sean Bergenheim is retiring due to concussion effects. Sad for him though he had a decent career in the NHL that of course ended after his time with the Wild (or maybe just before).

It is somewhat funny how many times that 3rd round pick got traded but interesting (maybe just to me) that it ended up with Nashville, who picked Minnesota's own Rem Pitlick. The Wild took Braydyn Chizen with Florida's pick and he is actually having a nice season so far after struggling with offense earlier in his junior career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad