OT: Non-Hockey Sports Thread XI - Defense? Who Needs Defense?! (Wade Wilson Memorial Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
HELL NO!

Not a fan...

To be fair, Chicago was a terrible situation for him. KOC could probably coach him up to the point of respectability. I just wonder how much $$ he and his agent are going to demand...

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
To be fair, Chicago was a terrible situation for him. KOC could probably coach him up to the point of respectability. I just wonder how much $$ he and his agent are going to demand...
He doesn't understand the passing game. He's not a smart player.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Thank you.

A couple of coworkers told me that the running game has changed in that teams don't need a star RB anymore - like a Peterson, Sanders, etc. A lot of teams run by committee with a QB that can also rush. Is that true?

Do they have any strengths right now - seems like receivers with Jefferson and Addison?

Running QBs are a thing again, yes.

You need a good RB that can also catch, but the days of the great RB carrying the team are over. The rules favor the passing game too much.

The refs being awful is a leaguewide problem.

Reactions: Jbcraig1883

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
He doesn't understand the passing game. He's not a smart player.
Yeah i was surprised to see people want Fields but have no interest in Kyler when i mentioned him earlier in the year. Obviously what theyre making is vastly different but surprised. Hes hasnt shown anything in the next level of being able to throw the football and read defenses.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Alright fellas, don't take away my MN card...I haven't followed the Vikes since 2012sh. I have caught maybe 3 or 4 games the last year or two. All I know is that we have Cousins and Jefferson. So, explain to me like I am 5 who is good on the team, is anything going on with the coaching staff, etc. I am going to try to participate more this year re Vikes as I plan to get a football package so I can watch the games.

Elite players / High end players

Christian Darrisaw LT
Brian Oneill RT
Hock
Danielle Hunter (might be gone though)
Justin Jefferson
Jordan Addison

Weve got a good offensive minded HC and former QB in Kevin O'connell and a good former HC as our DC in Brian Flores. He may not be here much longer but we will see. KOC still needs some work when it comes to playcalling but i think he will. Flo is an extremely aggresive playcaller but its nice to see after watching our last DC

Defense is a work in progress and needs players on all 3 levels except maybe at LB but still could use another player there. Defense did improve this year with a better DC but still needs some time to marinate. Defense im not THAT worried about it because you dont need the best defensive in the league to win but it does help.

Offense is damn near set were just missing the most important piece in a QB. A lot of people are thinking we take our QBotF this upcoming draft so we will see. We dont have too many holes on offense outside of needing another player or 2 along the interior offensive line and another day 2 or day 3 pick at RB. I wouldnt mind taking another WR in the late to mid round this year either because the chances are we could get a good one with how deep this draft is.

Good news is a lot of our elite players are hitting their primes or in their primes and we have the cap space to sign them or are signed. Bad news is we dont have a QB lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Jbcraig1883

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Elite players / High end players

Christian Darrisaw LT
Brian Oneill RT
Hock
Danielle Hunter (might be gone though)
Justin Jefferson
Jordan Addison

Weve got a good offensive minded HC and former QB in Kevin O'connell and a good former HC as our DC in Brian Flores. He may not be here much longer but we will see. KOC still needs some work when it comes to playcalling but i think he will. Flo is an extremely aggresive playcaller but its nice to see after watching our last DC

Defense is a work in progress and needs players on all 3 levels except maybe at LB but still could use another player there. Defense did improve this year with a better DC but still needs some time to marinate. Defense im not THAT worried about it because you dont need the best defensive in the league to win but it does help.

Offense is damn near set were just missing the most important piece in a QB. A lot of people are thinking we take our QBotF this upcoming draft so we will see. We dont have too many holes on offense outside of needing another player or 2 along the interior offensive line and another day 2 or day 3 pick at RB. I wouldnt mind taking another WR in the late to mid round this year either because the chances are we could get a good one with how deep this draft is.

Good news is a lot of our elite players are hitting their primes and we have the cap space to sign them or are signed. Bad news is we dont have a QB lol
Thank you. This is very helpful. I'll try to keep up with you guys regarding the draft, etc.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Is there a prevent defense in soccer or is it a thing at all? I swear every time NUFC has a lead late in the match they go into this "shell" or atleast it seems like they do. Their style or aggression seems to completely fade away and are completely cool with letting the opponent dominate the TOP late in the game. Reminds me of Dave Hakstol during his Philly days.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Is there a prevent defense in soccer or is it a thing at all? I swear every time NUFC has a lead late in the match they go into this "shell" or atleast it seems like they do. Their style or aggression seems to completely fade away and are completely cool with letting the opponent dominate the TOP late in the game. Reminds me of Dave Hakstol during his Philly days.
Yes, a 5-4-1 or 4-4-2 formation are pretty much just to keep the game close or protect a lead, similar to a prevent defense or neutral zone trap. Designed for defense and counter-attacking.

Reactions: Sad People

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Oh yeah, but far less than they used to. In the pre Howe days, even under Benitez, NUFC used to hand the ball over to the other team at the opening whistle, then run back to their own end and form a defensive shell.

At least now, they have the talent to counterattack (Barnes, Gordon, Wilson, Isak) and score from a defensive posture. In the past, there was nothing. Mitrovic was good for a while, but he didn't have the speed for an open field run. Joelinton was useless as a striker.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Sweet thanks fellas. Its frustrating as hell to watch. I swear theyve given away a few matches this year because of it.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Sweet thanks fellas. Its frustrating as hell to watch. I swear theyve given away a few matches this year because of it.
As 57special said, growing up that is all we ever saw out of our teams due to the huge skill gap. It was truly like the early 2000 Wild teams.

Clarification - I was speaking more towards US teams, not NUFC. I misread the response and was still speaking from the macro level of the original question about playing prevent-like defense in soccer.

Last edited:

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
As 57special said, growing up that is all we ever saw out of our teams due to the huge skill gap. It was truly like the early 2000 Wild teams.
I dont know why he does it. I usually watch atleast one match a week and recently started watching Real Madrid and it doesnt seem like any other clubs do it. Is it a Howe philosophy? Or do more managers do it and im just not noticing it?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I dont know why he does it. I usually watch atleast one match a week and recently started watching Real Madrid and it doesnt seem like any other clubs do it. Is it a Howe philosophy? Or do more managers do it and im just not noticing it?
Many, many other teams do it. The Italians in particular are very good at it, but like i said, the key is to have some talented players who can take advantage of a breakdown in possession and score against the run of play.

Newcastle has lost confidence after a great year last year. They have had a really bad run of injuries/suspensions to their top players, so they are not able to play the way they would like to.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Many, many other teams do it. The Italians in particular are very good at it, but like i said, the key is to have some talented players who can take advantage of a breakdown in possession and score against the run of play.

Newcastle has lost confidence after a great year last year. They have had a really bad run of injuries/suspensions to their top players, so they are not able to play the way they would like to.
Yeah their defense seems like booty this year after what it seemed to be one of their strengths last year. Isak is a great player he just has a hard time staying healthy. Seems like he has a groin issue every 2-3 months.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
On another note Vinicius Jr on Real Madrid seems to be one hell of a player. Had a beautiful goal earlier today.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Heart wants the Niners to win because id like to see Shanny get atleast one ring and i always gotta root for the California team. Mind says Chiefs though.

My pick is the Niners to win.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Heart wants the Niners to win because id like to see Shanny get atleast one ring and i always gotta root for the California team. Mind says Chiefs though.

My pick is the Niners to win.
I originally wanted the Niners to win, but now I want the Chiefs because I think it would be funny to see a certain collective of people lose their GD minds over Taylor Swift

• Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad