Non-Hockey Sports Thread VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Though it is concerning how his game vanished the 2nd half when Diggs was slowed by injury and Thielen started seeing the same double teams that Diggs was succeeding with.
What they really need is a reliable #3. I think that's a huge part of it too. Treadwell was absolutely zero threat.

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
Loons draw 3-3 in their first game at Allianz Field. The camera angle is great.

I hope the grounds crew can get the field better, looked really soft/lumpy and players seemed to be tearing it up pretty easily. With the heavy slate of home games upcoming it might be difficult to get ahead of all the wear and really let it establish deep roots.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
Loons draw 3-3 in their first game at Allianz Field. The camera angle is great.

I hope the grounds crew can get the field better, looked really soft/lumpy and players seemed to be tearing it up pretty easily. With the heavy slate of home games upcoming it might be difficult to get ahead of all the wear and really let it establish deep roots.
How much is because of the crappy weather? Also I thought it wasn't going to open for another year.

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
How much is because of the crappy weather? Also I thought it wasn't going to open for another year.
I'm sure the recent snow didn't help but they also laid the sod really late last year (late October) and then we immediately got hit with a significant cold snap.
I've been following people posting pictures from the open house a couple weeks ago and it looked like there was a sizeable portion that died during the winter that they re-sodded this past week (East sideline near the tunnel, South sideline by supporters section).

Here are the highlights from today, you can see the sod patches and how thin it looks on the right side of the field:

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
I'm sure the recent snow didn't help but they also laid the sod really late last year (late October) and then we immediately got hit with a significant cold snap.
I've been following people posting pictures from the open house a couple weeks ago and it looked like there was a sizeable portion that died during the winter that they re-sodded this past week (East sideline near the tunnel, South sideline by supporters section).

Here are the highlights from today, you can see the sod patches and how thin it looks on the right side of the field:

The amount of people who try and put sod/grass down in late October in this state will always amaze me. I can't count the number of times I put sod down for someone when I did landscaping only for us to get a phone call around this time of year yelling why their yard is all f***ed up.

Besides the quality of the field how is the stadium itself compared to the other teams in the area?

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
The amount of people who try and put sod/grass down in late October in this state will always amaze me. I can't count the number of times I put sod down for someone when I did landscaping only for us to get a phone call around this time of year yelling why their yard is all ****ed up.

Besides the quality of the field how is the stadium itself compared to the other teams in the area?
The stadium is awesome. It really is a gem There were some complaints I saw about the bathrooms not being big enough, and the concourses are a little tight, but once you're in your seat, it's simply fantastic. It's such an intimate venue, and the steep pitch of the stands makes for excellent sight lines.

And it's LOUD. The roar for Ozzie's goal, the first one at the stadium, was really something else.

I'm biased because I'm a STH, but I think it's right up there with any other stadium in this town.

The negative for me is the location. It's just kind of in this no man's land, with nothing around. The only thing around it is strip malls and fast food restaurants. Hopefully in the next year or so, new bars and such start popping up, to maybe revitalize that area a bit.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Here is my group's view. We're in the last two rows of the upper deck, because we like to be able to stand up whenever we want, without disturbing people behind us.

The sight lines are miles better than TCF was. You feel like you can almost reach out and touch the field.

20190413_153646.jpg

20190413_153649.jpg

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The location is very central, at least. Agree that the area isn't the most charming, but can also see development around there getting a badly needed shot in the arm.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN

The goal keeping ...:help:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think that area needs a huge resurgence and this will help with more people frequenting the area more.
Yeah. With a bit of help I can see Snelling/University crossing over from seedy to funky, in an interesting way. It's one of those areas that is on the verge of taking off in terms of real estate/livability, sort of like Nordeast did. It's a really convenient location.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Tiger wins the Masters. First major in 11 years. I'm not a big Tiger fan (in fact, I don't really like him), but watching that was pretty cool - seeing his reaction and the crowd go absolutely nuts.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
The amount of people who try and put sod/grass down in late October in this state will always amaze me. I can't count the number of times I put sod down for someone when I did landscaping only for us to get a phone call around this time of year yelling why their yard is all ****ed up.

If laying sod in Minnesota, mid August to mid September is the window of opportunity late in the season. October is simply too late.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
Here is my group's view. We're in the last two rows of the upper deck, because we like to be able to stand up whenever we want, without disturbing people behind us.

The sight lines are miles better than TCF was. You feel like you can almost reach out and touch the field.

View attachment 214287
View attachment 214291
Wow that place looks great! I'm not a huge soccer guy in general, but my brother played in college and follows a lot of the Euro leagues so I might take him to a game for a late birthday present.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Wow, the NFL hosed the TB on their schedule this year:
Week 4: @ LA
Week 5: @ NO
Week 6: in London vs Car (technically a home game)
Week 7: Bye week
Week 8: @ Tenn
Week 9: @ SEA

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
Grass still looks really soft at Allianz Field.

Any of you sodding professionals know if it will be able to root deeper over the summer while it is under near weekly use?

Also will the constant wear without proper time for recovery increase the risk of poa annua/trivialis spots ruining the perfect look?

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Any of you sodding professionals know if it will be able to root deeper over the summer while it is under near weekly use?

Also will the constant wear without proper time for recovery increase the risk of poa annua/trivialis spots ruining the perfect look?

I had just watched a UK comedy before I read that bolded part. It really changes the meaning of it when you read it as Brit slang. :laugh:

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
Loons end in a 0-0 draw. They played well but the Galaxy did well themselves.

Galaxy are probably happy with the draw but I don't think the Loons can walk away too disappointed. A clean sheet is nice when you give up as many goals as they do.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota

2-4wks for shallow roots and 5-7wks for deep.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
NFL draft tonight. The Vikings should go OL in the first, but let's be real. They won't.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
they will unless the top TE falls or a super talented DL drops out of the top 10
I've seen a mock with one of the Iowa TEs going to us, but I think it was the second one.

Just feels like they will draft another DB or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad