Non-Hockey Sports Thread VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Barr backed out of the Jets deal and came back to the Vikes! Wow! I don't know how they're going to have the cap space for that. The terms haven't been announced yet, but he was expected to get $14M-$15M per year with the Jets.

Edit: 5 years, $67.5M. Average of $13.5M.

Last edited:

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Barr backed out of the Jets deal and came back to the Vikes! Wow! I don't know how they're going to have the cap space for that. The terms haven't been announced yet, but he was expected to get $14M-$15M per year with the Jets.

Griffen is going to take a pay cut or he's going to be released.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota

Griffen is going to take a pay cut or he's going to be released.

His cap hit for 2019 is only $5.6M so feasably, we can fit without the pay cut but I think they'll rework Griffen for more flexibility.

The remaining cap hits for Barr:

2020: $12.7M
2021: $15.5M
2022: $15.6M
2023: $18.1M

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Gophers BB is doing pretty well so far in the tourney. Beat Purdue a 2nd time tonight.
They're now at a 9 or 10 seed in the tourney. They're going to draw one of the top-tier mid-majors in the first round, and they're going to lose. Book it.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
They're now at a 9 or 10 seed in the tourney. They're going to draw one of the top-tier mid-majors in the first round, and they're going to lose. Book it.
Likely, but they are peaking at the right time. There is no law that says the Gophers ALWAYS have to lose, is there?

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
His cap hit for 2019 is only $5.6M so feasably, we can fit without the pay cut but I think they'll rework Griffen for more flexibility.

The remaining cap hits for Barr:

2020: $12.7M
2021: $15.5M
2022: $15.6M
2023: $18.1M
Seems like a lot of money. Aren't the Vikings really close to the cap?

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Seems like a lot of money. Aren't the Vikings really close to the cap?
Yup. They seem to work cap magic every year somehow. The NFL salary cap rules are impossible to follow, especially with restructuring contracts and all that, so I don't know how it ends up working every year. Sounds like they saved something like $4M on the cap this year with Griffen restructuring, but they basically have no money to upgrade the OL as of now... which is baffling year after year.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Yup. They seem to work cap magic every year somehow. The NFL salary cap rules are impossible to follow, especially with restructuring contracts and all that, so I don't know how it ends up working every year. Sounds like they saved something like $4M on the cap this year with Griffen restructuring, but they basically have no money to upgrade the OL as of now... which is baffling year after year.
I have little knowledge of how salary works in the NFL. If Minnesota were to draft the OL they need would they be able to sign them? I know in year's past teams have avoided drafting QBs in the 1st round due to not having enough cap space to sign them.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I have little knowledge of how salary works in the NFL. If Minnesota were to draft the OL they need would they be able to sign them? I know in year's past teams have avoided drafting QBs in the 1st round due to not having enough cap space to sign them.
Yeah, to be honest I don't know too much about it either, including contracts related to draft position and all that. I mostly meant they won't have money to upgrade the OL in free agency.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
For me it's the most complex cap system in all of sports.
tenor.gif

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I had no idea that the Gophers were the worst 3-point shooting team out of ALL 5 power conferences.

Put Brodin on the point, he'll make it rain.
I thought Duke was the worst 3-point team in the tourney actually. Are they talking number of made 3s or percentage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad