OT: Non-Hockey Sports Thread IX - Let's Go Bowling! (Two-Minute Tommy Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
We're pissing this away to a team that isn't very good. Deer in headlights time. Time for someone to step up.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
About to be 17 in a row. 17 consecutive playoff losses. No team in the history of North American sports has ever been that pathetic.

17 straight.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
This ump is cheeks. Thielbar had him struck out
I thought he was relatively even, though.

This loss should be owned by:

1. Polanco for his 9th inning f*** up
2. Rocco having no idea what run expectancy is and not having Buxton bunt. Having a f***ed up catching situation should be included under Rocco territory.
3. Rosario and Sano combining for 7 men left of base and 3 of the 4 RISP.

Props to the pitching for giving up 1 earned run.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Rocco is off the rails.

Spots Alex Kirilloff into the lineup today who has not played in an actual game since September 2nd of 2019 in an elimination game. The team has struggled at the plate all season, dealt with injuries all season, and we choose to now to bring him into a game. This isn't even taking into account the fact that Jose Urquidy has held left handed hitters to an OPS of .377 while righties have an OPS of .858.

I have to assume Buxton is dealing with the concussion issues, and if he is not, Rocco should get fired for this decision.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Rocco is off the rails.

Spots Alex Kirilloff into the lineup today who has not played in an actual game since September 2nd of 2019 in an elimination game. The team has struggled at the plate all season, dealt with injuries all season, and we choose to now to bring him into a game. This isn't even taking into account the fact that Jose Urquidy has held left handed hitters to an OPS of .377 while righties have an OPS of .858.

I have to assume Buxton is dealing with the concussion issues, and if he is not, Rocco should get fired for this decision.
Eh, apparently Kirilloff was hitting .800 in St. Paul plus I feel like pitcher struggle with batters they never seen before. Plus it seems like the fanbase has been clamoring to see him so for many this is a welcomed move.

Gotta try something since the bats were cold yesterday and the Twins seem to get the yips in the playoffs.

Jesus comma Brodin

Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Eh, apparently Kirilloff was hitting .800 in St. Paul plus I feel like pitcher struggle with batters they never seen before. Plus it seems like the fanbase has been clamoring to see him so for many this is a welcomed move.

Gotta try something since the bats were cold yesterday and the Twins seem to get the yips in the playoffs.

He had all season to give him a shot. His last game he played was almost 13 months ago against a team called the Montgomery Biscuits. I am sure his simulation at bats were great, but this is nowhere near the same thing.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
It's the opposite. Batters struggle with Pitchers who are unfamiliar. It's a huge ask to expect a minor leaguer to go against elite MLB pitching. They are at a different level than what he faces.

What sticks out to me is the inability of the Twins to scratch out a good AB against top pitching. There is no adjusting, for the most part. It's I'm going to hit a homer, or go down swinging. Forget about taking an outside pitch the other way for a single, laying down a bunt, running up pitch counts, taking walks, or simply valuing contact. I know those things have gone out of fashion, but once it comes to the playoffs when you are running into elite pitching, you have to win by doing the little things right. For all their talent, guys like Sano, Buxton, and Rosario seem like they don't have a clue about those things. Guys like Arraez do.

Polanco has been pretty bad at the plate for at least a month now, I think. His swing looks terrible - off balance. At this point he is a black hole of a player both offensively and defensively.

At this point, can Kirilloff be much worse? I do know that he has been a top prospect for a while now. Too bad he doesn't play 3rd.

Last edited:

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
It's the opposite. Batters struggle with Pitchers who are unfamiliar.
I'll believe this since I'm not really a baseball fan. Full disclosure I grew up in a pro-Yankee family. Dad isn't from Minnesota so he wasn't a Twins fan when coming here. I always felt when watching games with him the young guys seem to hit homers in their first at bats when coming up.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Rocco is off the rails.

Apparently Kirilloff is the first player in MLB history to make his MLB debut in the starting lineup of a postseason game.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Someone who knows their baseball is telling me that Berrios was loading up the baseball with something from his arm. Said it was obvious.

Jesus comma Brodin

Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
The umpiring has been inconsistent for both sides, but man, that missed ball 4 to Rosario was not close. He should know better than to jaw but that's a brutal missed call at this stage.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
its never a good sign when the umpire is deciding games. I certainly hope he won't be in any more games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad