OT: Non-Hockey Sports Thread IX - Let's Go Bowling! (Two-Minute Tommy Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Home plate umpire is a job that is no longer required. Technology has made it obsolete. Rosario should keep his cool but a guy feels he needs to make an impact in a playoff game because someone said something that hurt his feelings after you screwed up your only job? Joke.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Home plate umpire is a job that is no longer required. Technology has made it obsolete. Rosario should keep his cool but a guy feels he needs to make an impact in a playoff game because someone said something that hurt his feelings after you screwed up your only job? Joke.

This. I was against the virtual strike zone when that was brought up a few seasons ago, but with the amount of baseball I have watched this season, I am all for it now.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm not going to blame Stashek, or any of our pitchers. We're not showing up at the plate.

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
People like Joe West think they’re the reason fans watch baseball. His job could be done by a computer

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Find a way to have every play reviewed and signaled down to the field. This is not like football where holding and PI are judgement calls. It’s either a strike or not. It’s either an out or not.

Reactions: Wild11MN

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Reminds me of when the Expos had some of their great teams in the early 80's and they brought in a guy to pinch run just up from the minors . The announcers went on at length about how fast he was, and what a dangerous bases stealer. He got picked off.

The loser's name? HOF'er Tim Raines.

Reactions: Wild11MN

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Someone who knows their baseball is telling me that Berrios was loading up the baseball with something from his arm. Said it was obvious.
Every pitcher has been doing that all season long basically challenging MLB to do something about it. Trevor Bauer openly admitted as much on his Twitter account a ways back.

Ever since the Houston Cheaters got a slap on the wrist, pitchers have decided to cheat with pine tar. Ball rotation/revolutions has confirmed this.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Reminds me of when the Expos had some of their great teams in the early 80's and they brought in a guy to pinch run just up from the minors . The announcers went on at length about how fast he was, and what a dangerous bases stealer. He got picked off.

The loser's name? HOF'er Tim Raines.
The Oakland A’s did a similar thing with a sprinter called Herb Washington. To this day he is the leagues only designated runner.

he was used in the 9th inning of the World Series and was picked off.

Before the 1974 World Series, team captain Sal Bando said that he did not think Washington should be used in the World Series, noting that Washington might not have a second chance to make up for any mistakes committed during the series. Appearing as a pinch-runner for Joe Rudi in game two of the World Series, Washington was picked off first base in a crucial ninth-inning situation by Dodgers reliever Mike Marshall.

Reactions: 57special

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Second pitch wild pitch by Duffy. It's like they waited all year to play their worst in the playoffs.

Last edited:

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Every pitcher has been doing that all season long basically challenging MLB to do something about it. Trevor Bauer openly admitted as much on his Twitter account a ways back.

Ever since the Houston Cheaters got a slap on the wrist, pitchers have decided to cheat with pine tar. Ball rotation/revolutions has confirmed this.
Pine tar has been used long before the Astros were using it. It’s pretty much an unspoken rule at this point. You can’t call out the other team using it since your team is using it too.

there is a growing argument that it should be legalized within reason since there is a point with it making the game safer. With an increase in breaking pitches and pitchers throwing faster and faster there are batters out there that are ok with pine tar being used it that means less guys are getting hit with 95+ mph pitches. Some batter would take the increase in control even if there is a trade off in tougher pitches.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
I mean, it truly is an impressive streak when you think about it. Logic would dictate that dumb luck would have resulted in at least ONE win in the past 18 games.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Pine tar has been used long before the Astros were using it. It’s pretty much an unspoken rule at this point. You can’t call out the other team using it since your team is using it too.

there is a growing argument that it should be legalized within reason since there is a point with it making the game safer. With an increase in breaking pitches and pitchers throwing faster and faster there are batters out there that are ok with pine tar being used it that means less guys are getting hit with 95+ mph pitches. Some batter would take the increase in control even if there is a trade off in tougher pitches.
You misread what I said or you just didn't comprehend it very well.

Either way I'm not accusing the Cheaters of using pine tar. I'm accusing everyone. I'm not saying I disagree with it, just that it has really become a point of conversation now that the Cheaters were given a slap on the wrist by Manfred and now everybody knows the league doesn't take cheating seriously so they openly do it now.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
You misread what I said or you just didn't comprehend it very well.

Either way I'm not accusing the Cheaters of using pine tar. I'm accusing everyone. I'm not saying I disagree with it, just that it has really become a point of conversation now that the Cheaters were given a slap on the wrist by Manfred and now everybody knows the league doesn't take cheating seriously so they openly do it now.
No i was saying that pitchers were using pine tar long before the Trashros were using it and got their slap on the wrist. Hell the Pineda on the Yankees was caught using it in 2014.

You said:

that sounds like you are saying pitcher weren't before hand. I was pointed out that they always have been. I would argue that technology has gotten to the point that it actively outs pitchers that use it. If you could track spin rates in the 90s and you'll find pine tar. Pitchers using pine tar is as old as the game. This isn't a new development.

Last edited:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
My guys point about the substance on his forearm was how blatant it was, not that it was being used. Like Berrios wasn't even trying to hide it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad