OT: Non-Hockey Sports Thread IX - Let's Go Bowling! (Two-Minute Tommy Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
I do mortgage underwriting for work and seeing the housing prices in the Seattle area, SF, CA area, etc. is just absolutely mind-blowing. I just wonder about the fact that working from home is going to be such a thing going forward and how that may impact some of this stuff. Why move to San Francisco and/or Seattle if you can do the same job remotely in a much more affordable area? Obviously that's not always possible depending on the job you have to do, but do think it's going to have a significant impact.

Gonna be crazy when all these foreclosures that are on hold hit the market from covid. Im waiting to purchase until this happens

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
I do mortgage underwriting for work and seeing the housing prices in the Seattle area, SF, CA area, etc. is just absolutely mind-blowing. I just wonder about the fact that working from home is going to be such a thing going forward and how that may impact some of this stuff. Why move to San Francisco and/or Seattle if you can do the same job remotely in a much more affordable area? Obviously that's not always possible depending on the job you have to do, but do think it's going to have a significant impact.

Funny thing is I was already remote when I moved there (or traveling,) my sig other took a job in Seattle. We love it, but the cost of living and breathing is just staggering. At least there is no State income tax, that's something, right? :dunno:

But I think you're onto something regarding the WFH effecting the markets.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Just across the border in Vancouver is even crazier, even taking into account the currency differences. Both Seattle and Vancouver have their attractions(I would move back in a minute, wife wouldn't), but the cost of housing is exorbitant, once again. there was a point around 2012 where the prices in Seattle had come down. We were trying to help a family friend to buy a condo at that point, but she dithered, and now she can't afford anything.

Reactions: GuerinUp

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
I'm sitting here in suburban Minnesota with a 2,600sqft house thinking, "What the actual f***. That's more than double my mortgage"

Id be willing to bet most 2 bedroom apartments in the twin cities are also more than your mortgage. i pay more for my apartment than my parents do on a mortgage of a property valued at 500k on leech lake.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Seattle and the surrounding suburbs have among the highest median incomes in the country. Sammamish, Bellevue, Kirkland, and Redmond all have household median incomes of well over $100,000 while Seattle has something right around $100K. There is just a ton of money in that area, and housing/cost of living prices will reflect that. With WFH being more common and probably more common in the future, I think the demand for houses may go down along with the prices. Seems like half the town is transplants for Microsoft, Amazon, T-Mobile, Century Link, Starbucks, Costco, Nordstrom, REI, and the list goes on. With no office requirement, I would see folks flocking back home for cost of living reasons.

Depressing conversation aside, no Kendricks this weekend worries me for the Vikings.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
You forgot Boeing and the Navy up north, and in Bremerhaven. Way back when, they ruled the town.

GordieGallant

Oct 6, 2020
East Metro, soon to be Up North.
Get rid of the field goal and kicked extra point all together. Have a PAT where you would get 1 point for scoring from the 5 yard line 2 points from the 10, and 3 from the 15. The kickoffs are already a joke.
Makes more sense than some skinny guy running on the field to win or lose a game where 300 pound guys have been battling all day.

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019

I’m trying to remove my hate from the equation, (and I’m genuinely curious for a Packers fan perspective) but do you think the Packers could make it to the super bowl if they don’t get the bye? I think they’re in trouble if they have to play two of the Rams, Saints, and Bucs. I don’t feel like they’re as fraudulent as last years Packers but I feel like a top tier defense is going to put them in a bad position

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I’m trying to remove my hate from the equation, (and I’m genuinely curious for a Packers fan perspective) but do you think the Packers could make it to the super bowl if they don’t get the bye? I think they’re in trouble if they have to play two of the Rams, Saints, and Bucs. I don’t feel like they’re as fraudulent as last years Packers but I feel like a top tier defense is going to put them in a bad position
The Tampa game was really the only game where I thought the offense was the problem. Usually it’s the Packers defense getting shredded by a RB that is the problem. Do I think the Packers can make it to the Super Bowl without the bye? Yes, I do. Do I think the Packers can lose in the playoffs without the bye? Yep, I do. It’ll be what it’ll be. I’m just here for the ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->