OT: Non Hockey Olympic Thread

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
hard to believe the jacobs rink that played today was the same rink that could barely make a shot in the first few rounds of the tournament...well done to those guys

hopefully it encourages other curling rinks to start working out a bit more

Wetcoaster

Day 14 in Sochi was a very good day with four medals.

Two golds (men's curling and women's ski cross), a silver (women's ski cross) and bronze (500 m short track) today and Team Canada to the men's gold medal hockey game Sunday.

Like Team Canada women's hockey team, Canada comes from behind late in the Games.

GO CANADA!!!!

Congratulations to:

The rink of Brad Jacobs, Ryan Fry, E.J. Harnden and Ryan Harnden (gold)

Marielle Thompson (gold medal) and Kelsey Serwa (silver medal) in the women's ski cross final.

Charle Cournoyer (bronze) in men's 500 m short track.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
So Canada owns curling again this year. I was little worried with the early losses for Jacob's team, but he took care of business.

hard to believe the jacobs rink that played today was the same rink that could barely make a shot in the first few rounds of the tournament...well done to those guys

hopefully it encourages other curling rinks to start working out a bit more

Yeah...
I still do not like the team...
But they took care of business.
Well done.

China really shocked me...
In a bad way.
That was the team that went 7 and 2?
2 hog line violation in one game...
At the Olympics.
Unbelievable.
:shakehead

Wetcoaster

Germany's two-time Olympic cross-country skiing champion Evi Sachenbacher-Stehle and Italian four-man bobsleigh member William Frullani were thrown out of the Sochi Olympics on Friday after testing positive for drugs.

Sachenbacher-Stehle, who was competing in the biathlon in Sochi but did not win a medal, tested positive for the stimulant methylhexanamin with the second sample tested on Friday.

Frullani, a police officer by profession, was dropped from the team due to compete on Sunday after testing positive for the substance dymetylpentylamine, and left the village.

The substance, identified as a stimulant in the World Anti-Doping Agency code, can be found in nasal decongestants.
http://olympics.cbc.ca/news/article/olympic-doping-drugs-vancouver-sochi.html

WADA holds samples for up to 10 years and are testing samples from the 2010 Vancouver Olympics and the 2006 Turin Games.

The International Olympic Committee has started retesting a "handful" of doping samples from Vancouver's Olympic Games in 2010, a clear signal that it is targeting some athletes for potential doping infractions.

The IOC announced last year that it would retest samples from the 2006 Turin Olympics, just as it has gone back to test samples retroactively from the 2004 and 2008 summer Olympics in Athens and Beijing.

Until recently, the IOC stored samples for eight years, allowing for retesting if authorities obtain information and more sophisticated detection methods become available. Under the new World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) code, the window for storing samples has now been increased to 10 years to further deter potential cheats.

Still, authorities have waited just four years to go back and re-analyze some samples from the winter Olympics in Canada.​

And there apparently may be a number of positive tests coming from 2006 and 2010.

"We will target the samples from Vancouver who we have very specific intelligence about, specific substances that might have been abused for which we might have different tests that we can do," IOC medical director Dr. Richard Budgett told CBC.
Officially, the IOC has said it's waiting until after the Sochi games to reveal results of the retests, which include some 350 samples from the Turin Olympics.
"All I know is that there have been a number of positive tests arising out of Torino, but we haven't got the information or what they call the … document package to say who it is, whether it's more than one person or even what the substance is," Canadian IOC member and former WADA head Dick Pound told CBC.

In the week before these Games started, reports emerged that three biathletes — two Russians and one Lithuanian — were suspended for failed tests and wouldn't be competing in Sochi.​

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I hear that Karol Wojtyła fellow is a very good long track skater.

Baseball is his sport.
They say he has God-given talents.

In all seriousness...
Zbigniew Bródka won the 1500m gold...
And the Polish team finished in third place in the last long track championship.
It will be hard to beat these guys.

Solidius

#TankLivesMatter
Jul 7, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
Baseball is his sport.
They say he has God-given talents.

In all seriousness...
Zbigniew Bródka won the 1500m gold...
And the Polish team finished in third place in the last long track championship.
It will be hard to beat these guys.

When I was starting out as a journalist for the local Catholic paper, I was asked to look into that video and it just turns out that he's a guy who made some money impersonating JPII. I think he's even portrayed him in some movies.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
When I was starting out as a journalist for the local Catholic paper, I was asked to look into that video and it just turns out that he's a guy who made some money impersonating JPII. I think he's even portrayed him in some movies.

Huh...
Boy...
I have been bamboozled for over two years now.
For a while...
I used the video to explain why baseball is cool.
I even posted this on my facebook.

Though disappointing...
It is good to know.
Thanks.

Solidius

#TankLivesMatter
Jul 7, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
Huh...
Boy...
I have been bamboozled for over two years now.
For a while...
I used the video to explain why baseball is cool.
I even posted this on my facebook.

Though disappointing...
It is good to know.
Thanks.

There is this, however:

He often played football (soccer), as a goalkeeper, and was a supporter of Polish club Cracovia. School football games were often organised between teams of Jews and Catholics, and due to the anti-Jewish feelings of the time, there was a potential for events to sometimes turn ‘nasty’. Karol, however, cheerfully offered himself as a substitute goalkeeper on the Jewish side if they were short of players.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
There is this, however:

He often played football (soccer), as a goalkeeper, and was a supporter of Polish club Cracovia. School football games were often organised between teams of Jews and Catholics, and due to the anti-Jewish feelings of the time, there was a potential for events to sometimes turn ‘nasty’. Karol, however, cheerfully offered himself as a substitute goalkeeper on the Jewish side if they were short of players.

Were you raised in the Catholic faith Solidius?
I was pleasantly surprised by the Pope reference.
:laugh:

Solidius

#TankLivesMatter
Jul 7, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
Were you raised in the Catholic faith Solidius?
I was pleasantly surprised by the Pope reference.
:laugh:

Yes, raised and currently practising. It has been a side mission for me to see how many Catholics I can find this Olympics. There's Yuna Kim, Wotherspoon-Gregg, and Luongo I know for sure. I saw a Pole in long track mark himself with the Cross before his race (he lost) as well as Duchene before the Austria game and I noticed Fortino wearing a crucifix following the gold medal game (of course these signs are used by other denominations as well so I can't know for sure). One day I would like for an athlete to defect to Vatican City and win a medal just for the giggles.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
so do we have a chance at getting to 10 gold medals before the hockey game? That would be nice to have a chance at taking the outright lead in Gold Medals with the hockey game, but I bet Norway will get another gold tomorrow too

Solidius

#TankLivesMatter
Jul 7, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
so do we have a chance at getting to 10 gold medals before the hockey game? That would be nice to have a chance at taking the outright lead in Gold Medals with the hockey game, but I bet Norway will get another gold tomorrow too

Well, the Norwegians swept 30km cross country so that brings them to 11. Canadians have an outside chance at bobsled right?

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Well, the Norwegians swept 30km cross country so that brings them to 11. Canadians have an outside chance at bobsled right?

Very...
Very...
Outside shot.
Bronze is more likely...
But that too is an outside shot.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
so Canada appealing Men ski cross

http://www.ctvnews.ca/sochi/canada-appealing-results-in-men-s-skicross-1.1699342

Canada appealing results in men's skicross
SOCHI, Russia -- Canada is appealing the final results of the men's skicross at the Sochi Olympics in an effort to get fourth-place finisher Brady Leman of Calgary bumped up to gold.
The French team swept the podium in the event.
The Canadian Olympic Committee, along with the Slovenian Olympic Committee, are alleging that French team staffers changed the shaping of the athletes' ski pants for better aerodynamics

The ad hoc division of the Court of Arbitration for Sport is scheduled to hear the case Saturday night.
Leman finished fourth in the final to Jean-Frederic Chapuis, Arnaud Bovolenta and Jonathan Midol of France in Thursday's competition. Slovenia's Filip Flisar placed second in the small final and would be bumped to bronze if the appeal is won. Russia would win the silver.
The Canadians and Slovenians initially requested that the world governing body of skiing disqualify the French competitors. But the FIS competition jury decided the protests couldn't be heard because they weren't filed on time after the race.
A decision by the CAS is expected Sunday.
The Canadian Olympic Committee didn't immediately respond to an email request for comment.
Leman reached Thursday's final after dominating the two previous rounds, but got off to a slow start in the medal round and then fell while trying furiously to catch up.
"I was in disbelief, almost, when I was lying there," he said after the race. "But it's part of skicross."
It was a second Olympics in a row to end in disappointment for Leman. At the Vancouver Games, he didn't get to compete after fracturing a leg during a practice run.
"I just feel slightly better, right now, than I did in Vancouver," he said. "It sucked watching my teammates from the stands, and all I wanted here is a chance.
"I gave myself a really good chance today, and that I'm really proud of that, but it sucks to be so close to the podium."
Leman shrugged off talk he may have been intentionally shut out by the French skiers. He fell too far behind from the start and only briefly had a one-on-one battle with the last of the three leaders.
"No, they were all trying for it, they were going for it," he said. "They skied the same as if it had been three different nations."
"Everyone was trying to pass and that's in part why I ended up getting stuck on the outside. I probably should have tried going inside, but we have to make split-second decisions. You can't get them all (right) over a day of skicross. At some point you run out of luck -- like I did a couple of hundred metres short."

Wetcoaster

Feeling like a dope????

A Latvian hockey player and a Ukrainian cross-country skier failed drug tests at the Sochi Olympics, bringing to four the number of doping cases at the games.

The International Olympic Committee said early Sunday that Vitalijs Pavlovs and Marina Lisogor were both expelled from the games.

Pavlovs tested positive for the stimulant methylhexanamine following Latvia's loss to Canada in the quarter-finals on Thursday. The 30-year-old Lisogor tested positive for trimetazidine on Tuesday after the women's team sprint.

The latest positive tests follow those of German biathlete Evi Sachenbacher-Stehle and Italian bobsledder William Frullani.

All four cases involve stimulants that can be found in food supplements. They are all classified as a "specified stimulant" on the World Anti-Doping Agency's prohibited list. Specified substances are considered more susceptible to inadvertent use and can carry reduced penalties.

Pavlovs was tested after Latvia's 2-1 loss to the Canadians in the men's hockey tournament. Latvia finished in eighth place.

Pavlovs said he had been taking food supplements on the recommendation of the doctor of his Latvian club team, Dynamo Riga.

"The disciplinary commission unanimously concluded that the athlete had been negligent and had therefore committed an anti-doping rule violation," the IOC said in a statement.

The Latvian's doping violation was announced early on the final day of the Sochi Games.

Lisogor competed in two cross-country events in Sochi, finishing far out of the medals. She said she had been taking medication for a thyroid condition but "forgot to declare" the drug on her doping form.

Lisogor admitted she was at fault and did not request the backup "B'' sample to be tested.

"The disciplinary commission unanimously concluded that the athlete had, at the very least, been negligent," the IOC said.

The IOC is conducting 2,453 drug tests in Sochi, a record for the Winter Games.​
http://sports.ca.msn.com/winter-olympics/news/two-more-athletes-test-positive-at-olympics

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad