OT: Non Hockey Olympic Thread

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
All Non Hockey Olympic Talk here, so it doesn't get lost in the hockey talk.

Today the Qualification Runs for Womens Moguls, and Mens/Womens Snowboard Slopestyle took place.

Canadian Content

Womens Moguls - Chloe Dufour-Lapointe 2nd, Justine Dufour-Lapointe 3rd, Maxime Dufour-Lapointe 8th, Audrey Robichaud 9th. All Qualified for the Finals.

Mens Snowboard Slopestyle - Max Parrot 1st, Sebastien Toutant (3rd in his group) both qualified for the finals. Mark McMorris, Charles Reid need to go through the Semi Final to make it to final.

Womens Snowboard Slopestyle - Spencer O'Brien (3rd in her group) qualified for the final. Jenna Blasman will go to the Semis.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
I'm a fan of the Mexican ski team's uniform

XVexV3T.png

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Watching the figure skating...does anyone else think there could be some corruption in the judging sports this year? Perhaps more than usual?

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
So going into the weekend Canada has medal chances in:
Figure Skating Team Event
Womens Moguls (3-4 legit medal hopes)
Mens Snowboard Slopestyle (2-3 legit medal hopes)
Womens Snowboard Slopestyle
Mens Downhill Skiing

Could be an amazing start to the Olympics for Canada.

Wetcoaster

The Russian government is terrorizing journalists apparently as reported by CBC.

And maybe our Team Canada hockey team? Team bonding? Babcock can keep the forward lines together at night? Luongo, Price and Smith can hold strategy sessions?

cathalkelly ‏@cathalkelly
This isn't bad decorating. It's psychological warfare. @SWhyno A room Canada men's hockey team will stay in
BfoRofRIQAEhSEe.jpg

olympics5n-4-web.jpg

Wonder what Chara is going to do if there is similar accommodations for the Slovakian hockey team? Two beds end to end?

And it seems that the Sochi organizing committee has banned the Olympic event of toilet fishing.
olympics5n-10-web.jpg

In a column posted on Canada.com, National Post sportswriter Bruce Arthur provided a quick rundown of what’s going wrong:

“Almost every room is missing something: lightbulbs, TVs, lamps, chairs, curtains, Wi-Fi, heat, hot water. Shower curtains are a valuable piece of the future black market here.â€

There was also much tweeting and tweaking of the hosts over their double-toilet bathrooms, which are apparently no urban legend.

sochi-twin-toilets.jpg

A pair of biathletes posed on two adjoining commodes in a widely circulated shot.

article-2550427-1B25997500000578-502_634x445.jpg

Another newcomer, a German photographer arrived to find his media hotel room unfinished. He was moved to a second room — where still-busy construction workers had taken up residence.

His third room was occupied — by a stray dog.​

And there is the now legendary Sochi PooTin made famous (infamous??) by Puck Daddy (Greg Wyshynski).
Greg Wyshynski ‏@wyshynski
People have asked me what surprised me the most here in Sochi. It's this. Without question ... it's ... THIS.
BfpGUmiCIAA6ty2.jpg

Your Community Blog - Sochi Olympics reporters tweet hilarious, gross hotel photos

Yellow water, fire hoses in unusual places, and Chairs of Desolation are just a few of the surprises awaiting journalists in Sochi hotel rooms ahead of the Olympics.

Now just days away from the Opening Ceremonies, there are still uncompleted media hotels -- and what is finished appears to be in shambles for many out-of-towners.​

From Senior International Correspondent for The Globe and Mail Mark MacKinnon@markmackinnon
Ok, so my hotel doesn't have a lobby yet.

Mark MacKinnon@markmackinnon
For those of you asking, when there's no lobby in your hotel, you go to the owner's bedroom to check in. #Sochi2014

Per Acting Bureau Chief, BBC Moscow KEVIN BISHOP@BISHOPK
The reception of our hotel in #Sochi has no floor. But it does have this welcoming picture.
BfpHw6JIcAAdZzj.jpg

HARRY REEKIE@HARRYCNN
This is the one hotel room @Sochi2014 have given us so far. Shambles. #cnnsochi
Bfnep-rIEAAlan-.jpg

Moscow Correspondent of the Guardian Shaun Walker@shaunwalker7
Still waiting for "preparations" on hotel room to finish. Hoping they're origami-folding toilet roll, rather than, say, putting the roof on.

katiebakes@katiebakes
Made new pal from La Presse as we struggled to find hotel. When we got to our (temporary) rooms his doorknob came off in hand

Columnist for the Toronto Star cathalkelly ‏@cathalkelly
In my Sochi hotel. You're welcome to pop by and sit forlornly in my Chairs of Desolation.
BfugMCVIUAAK1M3.jpg

Firehose directly beside toilet. And now all I can smell is burning.
BfundxDCQAARRUK.jpg

'Yuri, first things first. Let's get that electrical socket installed a foot over the door.'
BfupjJ1CcAEXvxA.jpg

National Post sports columnist Bruce Arthur@bruce_arthur
Miss you, hot water in my hotel. You were great.

Chicago Tribune reporter Stacy St. Clair@StacyStClair
My hotel has no water. If restored, the front desk says, "do not use on your face because it contains something very dangerous."

Stacy St. Clair@StacyStClair
Water restored, sorta. On the bright side, I now know what very dangerous face water looks like.
BfmfjoTCMAAMPy0.jpg

Stacy St. Clair@StacyStClair
Also on the bright side: I just washed my face with Evian, like I'm a Kardashian or something.

Kathy Lally ‏@LallyKathy
Wondered why my #sochi2014 hotel room had a fire hose. Safest #Olympics yet?
BfeBkGECEAACT3C.jpg

UK Channel 4 News Producer Simon Stanleigh ‏@Stanleigh77
#sochi good news , I have Internet , bad news, it's dangling from the ceiling in my room...
BffCumJCUAAhTHn.jpg

Yahoo Sports columnist Dan Wetzel ‏@DanWetzel
To anyone in Sochi: I am now in possession of three light bulbs. Will trade for a door handle. This offer is real:
BfqcxV8IMAAANdC.jpg

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
A lot of the complaining about the amenities just comes off as a bunch of spoiled westerners complaining about the rest of the world not having it as good as they do.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
A lot of the complaining about the amenities just comes off as a bunch of spoiled westerners complaining about the rest of the world not having it as good as they do.

Ya, some of the complaining is but the door knob issue is a safety issue, apparently some people have basically been locked in the rooms because of the door knob falling off.

Some rooms have been double booked, and some rooms have doors that don't close properly.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
A lot of the complaining about the amenities just comes off a bunch of spoiled westerners complaining about the rest of the world not having it as good as they do.

I'd agree if this was just an event that everyone shows up for rather than one where they spend a bazillion dollars and years bragging about how great it's going to be.

This is probably the most expensive marquee cultural/sporting event going. They've spent billions on it, and the ****ing water might burn your face. It's basically a front-and-centre demonstration of how far off track the "Olympic Movement" has gone.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
Ya, some of the complaining is but the door knob issue is a safety issue, apparently some people have basically been locked in the rooms because of the door knob falling off.

Some rooms have been double booked, and some rooms have doors that don't close properly.

The biggest problem I see is the lack of usable water, heated water or heat in the rooms.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad