OT: Non Hockey Olympic Thread

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
You know, a lot of these "doping" incidents seem to indicate some mindlessness from athletes. At least, that's what I want to believe. A lot of it seems to come from cold/flu medicine or certain foods.

Wetcoaster

You know, a lot of these "doping" incidents seem to indicate some mindlessness from athletes. At least, that's what I want to believe. A lot of it seems to come from cold/flu medicine or certain foods.
Or being in a room where others are smoking pot like Ross Rebagliati. :)

Wetcoaster

Canadian snowboarder Sarah Burke a pioneer in free style skiing died in a training accident in 2012 preparing for Sochi.

BURKE_S_MEMORY_FREESTYLE_SKIING_256742311-930x600.jpg

A number of her fellow athletes were intending to wear helmet stickers in remembrance but Olympic athletes in Sochi have been banned from wearing helmet stickers remembering her.

So her coach came up with another idea.

Trennon Paynter called it a “stealth mission.â€

After training had begun for the Olympic women’s halfpipe, but before the competition, the Canadian freestyle ski coach waited for quiet moment, hiked a little ways down the course, and removed a cylindrical container from its tooled leather case.

In it were the ashes of Sarah Burke, the Canadian pioneer who led the effort to get the women’s X-Games sport into the Olympics but who died in a January 2012 training accident before she could see her dream realized.

Paynter spread some of her ashes on the halfpipe course, unbeknownst to Olympic officials, and so — in essence — the entire competition was skied over the remains of the woman whose memory the International Olympic Committee had refused to honour in any official way.

They’ve honoured her now, like it or not.

“Well, honestly I’ve known for almost a couple of years now that these Games, for us especially as a team, were really going to revolve around Sarah’s memory,†said Paynter.

“Myself and Rory (Bushfield), Sarah’s husband and one of my closest friends, we discussed it a long time ago that we wanted to bring Sarah here and decided we would bring some of her ashes here and spread them around the event, and try to get some in the pipe, if we could pull it off.â€

The actual operation, he said, was where the stealth was involved.

“It was, for one, a very sort of private personal moment so we didn’t want to make any noise about it in advance. It’s probably not entirely following all the rules, but it was something we were going to make happen, regardless,†said Paynter. “And I know that we’re certainly not alone (as Canadians) in feeling that the debut of ski halfpipe at the Olympics was so much about Sarah. Every other competitor from every other nation in halfpipe skiing feels the same.â€​
http://www.canada.com/olympics/news/sarah-burkes-ashes-spread-in-sochi-halfpipe

Nolan Bombgardener

Dec 23, 2005
Does anyone know why the ski cross results are being disputed? The news is only reporting the French skiers' pants were altered to be more aerodynamic. Is that a rule violation?

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Kaillie Humphries and Heather Moyse are named flag bearers for closing ceremony.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
With the lead in 4-men bobsled too...
Russia probably won the Olympics...
While Canada finished third.
It was a pretty good Olympics...
And honestly...
I tuned in more for Sochi than Vancouver.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Canada had a great Olympics on home soil, as did Russia this year. Nice to see.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
interesting how almost all the traditional power countries finished below projections (ie norway, usa, germany) and the canadian overall performance, while having the best olympics ever aside from vancouver, is seen as a bit of a disappointment

pretty easy explanation for the above...russia has been so much stronger than expected with the home field advantage (both legit and questionable) and having the netherlands take all the long track medals have definitely had an effect

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
interesting how almost all the traditional power countries finished below projections (ie norway, usa, germany) and the canadian overall performance, while having the best olympics ever aside from vancouver, is seen as a bit of a disappointment

pretty easy explanation for the above...russia has been so much stronger than expected with the home field advantage (both legit and questionable) and having the netherlands take all the long track medals have definitely had an effect

Those damn Dutch! :rant:

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009

Yeah...
The Dutch really messed up the medal count for a lot of countries.
Nobody thought the team would be this dominate.

23 medals in one discipline is almost unheard of.
:amazed:

Sweden also took away Norway's many projected medals too.
The perceived failure received so much anger...
That many in Norway demanded a inquiry...
Mainly on the wax...
Which the government claimed to have spent a million dollars on.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Hard to believe the Olympics are over. Going to be weird coming home after work and not turning on CBC/TSN to watch what happened during the day of the games.

Solidius

#TankLivesMatter
Jul 7, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
With the lead in 4-men bobsled too...
Russia probably won the Olympics...
While Canada finished third.
It was a pretty good Olympics...
And honestly...
I tuned in more for Sochi than Vancouver.

I tuned in more for Sochi than Vancouver because I was always out with my friends partying at the different venues. What a magical two weeks it was with the two weeks off at UBC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->