Nolan Patrick year 2 Review

How would you rate Patrick's year .

• Total voters

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
I’d imagine that Patrick has high expectations for himself.

He’s probably disappointed, so I won’t pile on. The flashes of greatness are encouraging. I think he should perform next season with a better team and more consistent coaching.

Reactions: Unger9

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
The Flyers have had the misfortune of bad lottery luck. They missed out on the chance to draft a hall of famer in 07 (JVR is obviously well below Kane level). They missed out on a generational talent in 2015. In 2017, they missed out on drafting a more impactful player at # 1. Patrick isn't a franchise altering player. He's a good secondary piece. But the Flyers really couldn't of done "better" than nabbing him at second overall two years ago. It is what it is.

Flyrs21

Dec 17, 2006
So did Patrick get benched because he was arguing with Gordon during the Dallas game?

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
So did Patrick get benched because he was arguing with Gordon during the Dallas game?
Supposedly it’s due to an “upper body injury” that’s been “nagging him for a while.”

I didn’t know he was arguing with Gordon during the Dallas game, but if he was he ought to be benched. He’s nothing but an inconsistent 20 y/o kid. He should at least establish himself as a good NHL player before he starts jawing at his coach during a game.

Illini Flyer

Jan 30, 2019
Near St Louis
Supposedly it’s due to an “upper body injury” that’s been “nagging him for a while.”

I didn’t know he was arguing with Gordon during the Dallas game, but if he was he ought to be benched. He’s nothing but an inconsistent 20 y/o kid. He should at least establish himself as a good NHL player before he starts jawing at his coach during a game.

Would think the coach needs to establish himself as a good Nhl level coach as well then, no?

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
No. No 30-point, 2nd year, 20 year old kid should be mouthing off to his NHL head coach during a game. There's zero justification for it if that's what happened.
Agreed in concept. Don’t know if, or what, happened. But if the above is the case, that’s garbage. Gordon hasn’t been at the level to warrant a full mutiny so, again if this transpired, giroux and couturier need to slap some sense into him. He’s done nothing in the nhl.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Hopefully he trains hard this off season and next season is his breakout. He has the skills. If we add another top winger it will only help.

trigzter

Feb 3, 2011
PA
im dissapointed but he is so young that i know he will improve. just need to find wingers like lindblom that help move the puck and i believe we will see him capitalize on his good shot

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
Kid if he stays healthy (which imo is the big question) will be a solid 2nd line center that could emerge as a 1C impact center. His play improved even if his point totals didn't. He's still a kid looks like one and played like one for the first part of the year.

The last 25+ games he started to play like a man. He needs to continue to work on his strength, speed and shot. All 3 if just improved slightly will make him a great NHL player imo. Center's that can play a heavy game are huge when it matters most (the playoffs). I don't think anyone could say we weren't expecting more from a 2nd pick overall in terms of high end skill but if he continues to improve like he did the second half of the year and finds some chemistry with line mates with skill who knows how quickly he can become a #1c. He's shown more skill than Couts did his first 2 years and look how solid Couts has become (fans shouldn't forget that).

madlee

Mar 7, 2015
I think you have to compare him to the rest of his draft class:

2017 NHL Entry Draft | Hockey-Reference.com

If you go by point share, Pettersson is the best player. Patrick falls to fourth place. That being said, most of these players are 20 years old, and Giroux didn't even make the team until he was 21 and it took 2 more years after that for him to move up to being an elite player.

I think Patrick needs to work his ass off this off season.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I wouldn't compare Patrick to Giroux or Couturier. I don't see him having Hart/Selke nomination upside. He's closer to Mike Richards. Which if he can get to that level, will be terrific.

Edit: I realize Richards got Selke consideration but he's not in Couturier's class honestly.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Had 29 ES points in 72 games. If he had not gone MIA for 2 long stretches, that could have been around 40 instead which would have been a great 2nd year. He needs to have a great offseason and actually have a consistent year next year.

I am hoping they get the 2nd PP unit set and actually start to get some chemistry. Patrick, TK, Lindblom, Sanheim and Frost "should" be that unit. Patrick only had 2 PP points this year which will keep his points down. The flip side is, it should also keep his contract lower.

Don't expose these kids to our #1 unit until they are signed long term, please.

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
Comparing Patrick to Mike Richards? Man, I don't remember Richards laying on the ice sulking every time he took a hit or playing with such wild inconsistency.

That said, Patrick has about 200% of Richards' talent.

I don't know - perhaps we read too much into body language. But when I watch this kid, I'm not sure I see a guy who loves to compete.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Mike Richards was a special guy who played way above his means. The flame faded fast, but I’d take him anyday on my team.

I’m a little disappointed in Nolan’s year 2. I heard somewhere that there are more players under 25 in the NHL than over 25. I find it hard to believe a guy as skilled as Nolan, is only capable of 13 goals in back to back seasons. He’s gotta be upset, the fans expect more. I know he missed about 10 games but still.

I don’t want NP traded, I don’t want to write him off yet. But if this team is going to do anything next year, he needs to take a noticeable leap in terms of production. I think he will, but the pressure should rightfully be on for him in year 3.

I assume that he’s going to take his summer seriously, maybe work with Gary Roberts, and will come back buzzing in the Fall.

RonHextall27

Mar 12, 2008
Halifax, NS
I think he flashes good potential but he can be a soft player at times. Hopefully maturity takes care of that. What he'll be told though is that what he brings to next season will determine what his next contract looks like. The difference between a bridge or small AAV vs a 7-8 year deal would be enough for me to bust my ass all summer.

Reactions: The Palm Isle

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't think Patrick is a "soft" player, I just think he hasn't filled out yet, he couldn't work out for two summers and wasn't able to regain that opportunity to add strength in one offseason.

You can see the difference physical maturity has made in Lindblom, he's lb for lb probably the strongest player on the Flyers and can hold his own in the corner and front of the net with anyone, now his scoring touch is developing.

I think you'll see something similar with Patrick next year, more strength will allow him to play in the dirty areas in front of the net and be more effective on defense. Patrick isn't flashy, but he has above average skills in every area, his development will probably be more like Couts and Scheifele, gradually improving as he gains strength and experience. He's got the instincts to be a Selke top ten guy, he back checks as consistently as any Flyer forward at 20 and breaks up a lot of plays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad