Nolan Patrick year 2 Review

How would you rate Patrick's year .

• Total voters

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Very disappointing. He was terrible for 3 months. Looked great for 1 month. And stunk his last 20 games when they really needed him. Somehow failed to improve on his stats from his rookie season, & it’s not for lack of opportunity or linemates.

Reactions: Johnk0728

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
He's status quo. Always capable of delivering a good game, but not expected to. The one thing I saw from him this year in SSS that was enjoyable is his engagement in physical activity. I wish the Flyers would be a harder team to play against, finish checks, make other teams pay a price. NP has notably, within the game flow and legally, retaliated against opponents who've played him tough. Atta boy.

Moar points, better defense, do something positive on the PP.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
He's improved somewhat. Better grip on the game overall, looks more complete in everything he does. The stat line might end up exactly identical to last season's, but I think that's a bit deceptive: Last year he had a nice late-season productivity boost as a fill-in on (the once-good) PP1. His even strength output is marginally better and more consistent this time around. I'd like to see the power play torn down and rebuilt entirely...with him somewhere in it.

I notice him more as a 200-foot player these days, with the aforementioned physical play and some good backchecks/D-zone coverages. If he keeps all that up the offense will come along, and he'll be a hell of an asset in no time.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Just like with the defensemen, let's wait until he has legitimate professional coaching before we make too many hard and fast determinations on him. He has played his entire (brief) pro career in system chaos.
I don't know... I think almost 150 games is enough to definitively judge a player. It's not as if players continue developing, especially offensively, throughout their early 20s.

Especially not big skilled centers.

Especially not big skilled centers on the Flyers.

Nope. That doesn't happen.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
He doesn't play the type of game that develops quickly at the NHL level. So judging much of anything at all of 20 years old is pretty foolish. He could stagnate and always be a 20-30 guy, sure, but he's still growing into his frame and learning to leverage it against opponents.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Last year 22 ES points...8 PP points
This year 29 ES points...2 PP points

His points went up at ES, but not nearly enough. He played with Giroux a bunch later in teh season and did not produce. He seemed to produce the most when he was the #3C playing behind G and Couts....likely due to easier matchups.

Overall, very disappointing season. He had a healthy offseason for the first time in 2 years, and we saw little improvement. Wildly inconsistent. Bothyears he has done very little until mid-late Jan. Needs to be ready for game 1 next year. His development is very important to our future....and could see Frost pass him in an offensive role if he waits too long.

He is 71st in ES points for C....so 3rd line C production. He AND Lindblom need to produce more if they are playing on the top 2 lines.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Cucumber.
Cucumber is a precursor to pickle. If you're saying NP has potential to reach Pickle Rick status, I am pleased.

Umbrella.
Only punks use umbrellas. However, if that means NP will be keeping the rain off of lessor players, then hopefully those peacocks will be able to fly with their dry wings. NP being an umbrella is a promising projection, one of those huge oversized golf ones, with a trick handle that can disassemble and house a blade, plus at the tip of the umbrella is a gun muzzle, and there's various gasses ensconsed within for situations at an ad hoc need. NP is the ultimate, the Penguin tool, one of Batman's most cunning and deadly foes, a man without mercy, who loves fish.

These are all good things.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Cucumber is a precursor to pickle. If you're saying NP has potential to reach Pickle Rick status, I am pleased.

Pickle Rick RULES. There is a company called Funko that makes figurines and they have a ton of Rick and Morty merch.

51WuDuB2fYL._SX425_.jpg

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
Last year 22 ES points...8 PP points
This year 29 ES points...2 PP points

His points went up at ES, but not nearly enough. He played with Giroux a bunch later in teh season and did not produce. He seemed to produce the most when he was the #3C playing behind G and Couts....likely due to easier matchups.

Overall, very disappointing season. He had a healthy offseason for the first time in 2 years, and we saw little improvement. Wildly inconsistent. Bothyears he has done very little until mid-late Jan. Needs to be ready for game 1 next year. His development is very important to our future....and could see Frost pass him in an offensive role if he waits too long.

He is 71st in ES points for C....so 3rd line C production. He AND Lindblom need to produce more if they are playing on the top 2 lines.
My biggest concern is the lack of impact away from the scoring. With couturier you could see that he was consistently impacting the game positively. I don’t see it with Patrick—yet. If he isn’t physically involved and driving the net, then he’s invisible. He may need a kick in the ass.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
My biggest concern is the lack of impact away from the scoring. With couturier you could see that he was consistently impacting the game positively. I don’t see it with Patrick—yet. If he isn’t physically involved and driving the net, then he’s invisible. He may need a kick in the ass.
I honestly think it's a confidence issue because when things are going in, he seems to get many chances to score.

But that's what is scary about next year. You have two very good talents in Patrick and Frost...but don't know what they are going to be next year at all. If Frost doesn't make the team and Patrick has a 30 point ES season, it will be a disaster for us again.

But if Frost gets that 30 ES points and Patrick jumps to 40 at ES, then we can live with that.

What we also need, is for our #2PP unit to actually produce too. Patrick, Sanheim, Provy, Lindblom, Konecny SHOULD be able to produce. And getting those extra points as well as confidence can go a long way. Of course the flipside is, it "should" keep their contracts lower.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
I honestly think it's a confidence issue because when things are going in, he seems to get many chances to score.

But that's what is scary about next year. You have two very good talents in Patrick and Frost...but don't know what they are going to be next year at all. If Frost doesn't make the team and Patrick has a 30 point ES season, it will be a disaster for us again.

But if Frost gets that 30 ES points and Patrick jumps to 40 at ES, then we can live with that.

What we also need, is for our #2PP unit to actually produce too. Patrick, Sanheim, Provy, Lindblom, Konecny SHOULD be able to produce. And getting those extra points as well as confidence can go a long way. Of course the flipside is, it "should" keep their contracts lower.
I’m apprehensive about the two of them as our middle center depth as well. I think @Magua said we have the break glass in case of giroux at center option, which is a valid short term fall back. But we need to insulate the roster if we are serious about competing for the playoffs next year—identify a good third line center to pick off to add depth.

I honestly feel a bit more confident about frost than I do patrick. There are times that patrick just seems lackadaisical. He’s young enough that a coach that is larger than life could kick him in the ass and motivate him to use that top gear more often.

Reactions: Tripod

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I thought he looked good. Just needs to put points on the board. Showed a lot of confidence this year I don't think he had last year.

Reactions: flyersfan187

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
very disappointing. still way too early to write him off, but he needs to be better. yes, young players need time, but a 2nd overall pick should be showing a lot more consistency in their 2nd year than he did.

next year will be big. i think another 30 point season would be terrible. 50 points would be ideal to see, and not too unattainable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad