Nolan Patrick year 2 Review

How would you rate Patrick's year .

• Total voters

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
very disappointing. still way too early to write him off, but he needs to be better. yes, young players need time, but a 2nd overall pick should be showing a lot more consistency in their 2nd year than he did.

next year will be big. i think another 30 point season would be terrible. 50 points would be ideal to see, and not too unattainable.
Getting 50 will be hard unless our #2 PP improves a bunch.

40 ES points puts him roughly at #45 for centers...so mid 2nd line production.

50 ES points puts you at 1st line C production.

Just to show that he likely needs 10 PP points to jump to a 50 point guy....he has 2 this year with 29 ES points. So needs 10 more at each ES and PP. Could be tough.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ironmanrulez

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007

Just to show that he likely needs 10 PP points to jump to a 50 point guy....he has 2 this year with 29 ES points. So needs 10 more at each ES and PP. Could be tough.

i'm hoping he can get some PP1 time next season. maybe replace Jake for him.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
This season was basically a disaster for Patty but he showed enough that I have confidence that he'll get there.

I don't know what it is he's lacking, by all accounts he is confident to the point of cocky.

He needs to be more assertive on offense.

He hasn't had an even reasonably competent coach, there is no one in the Flyers' coaching system that has ever been a skilled forward in the NHL so maybe they should try to change that.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas

I said 45 points would be a solid second year for Patrick and thought that was ridiculous (on the pessimistic side).

I'm going with 40 points for him and Frost next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ironmanrulez

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
crap season but i disagree with the narrative that world is crashing.

young dmen take time to develop
and sometimes centers of his buils take time to develop.
and he hasnt had a real coach
and he's had injuey issues.

so im echoing a few people here.

talk to me in a year or 2 about him being a bust....or any of these players. i

when you buils with youth tjese growing pains happen.

maybe all of these guys are horrible but its far from decisive

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
A disappointing 1st half and surging 2nd half isn't a new thing with Patrick. He's fallen off as the team has fallen off the last couple weeks, but I'm not sure you need to read a ton into that.

Statistically, he's marginally better without the PP1 boost that last season offered (him never getting a crack there this season remains weird, but what the f*** wasn't weird about PP1 deployment?).

Visually? He's been making plays the 2nd half this season that he didn't make last 2nd half. Or at any point. More up on his skates, more comfortable spinning along the boards off of defenders (though core strength still needs work), more aggressive attacking defenders. It's hard for me to say he didn't take a step forward in using more of his skill-set and gaining confidence playing at NHL speed. Hopefully, that's just a taste for next season, with all the latent talent and smarts brimming.

There's no "Still Team Nico" option.There should be.

Well, there's no "Patrick is >>> Nico and Tavares Combined" option. We can't all win.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I mean, like last year his second half was just way superior. Played at "meh" 2C level the final half of the year... same as last year. Difference was at the start of last year he did not look NHL ready, this year he played well on D the first half, but looked like he lacked confidence in OZ.

2017-18:

First 40 games: 3g, 9p (6g, 19 point pace)
Last 33 games: 10g, 21p (25g, 52 point pace)

2018-19:

First 39 games: 5g, 11p (11g, 23 point pace)
Last 33 games: 8g, 20p (20g, 50 point pace)

Pretty crazy disparity, and also funny how similar the splits are.

Reactions: Foggy14

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
He hasn't had an even reasonably competent coach, there is no one in the Flyers' coaching system that has ever been a skilled forward in the NHL so maybe they should try to change that.

hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: Ruck Over

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
I hope you remember that he's only 20, don't you? Despite ups and downs, he's showed solid two-way game this season, especially after Hak was fired.

Reactions: Foggy14

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'm not worried about Patrick at all, disappointed he didn't make the big jump this year, but he didn't add as much strength as I hoped last summer, and being physical (like Couts) will be a big part of his game.

But he's smart, works hard and is responsible defensively, it's so much harder to find two way centers than figure skaters who can score and are also willing to pay the price in other facets of the game - take Lindblom's goal last night - that was a classic "Couts" play.

Given Patrick was a dominant CHL scorer at age 17 before the injuries, it's just a matter of time before he steps it up to the next level. I think another year to physically mature will work wonders, as will keeping him with Lindblom.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The issue the Flyers will have within the front office is optics. Patrick was a 'can't miss' guy, or at least on the outer edges of that at #2OV when the Flyers were handed a gift. The flash and spark Elias Pettersson has given the Canucks is exactly what they're looking for to be excited something despite a bad season, match that with what Carter Hart has already provided. That is of course assuming that Hakstol would've used him to begin the season, which wasn't a given.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Pettersson makes a good argument for Farabee playing next year.
Pettersson was 6'2 165 at the Combine. Farabee 6'0 162

Petttersson xGP -0.095, EV GAR 7.1, PP GAR 2.6, PEN GAR 5.7
Patrick xGP -0.054, EV GAR 1.8, PP GAR -1.0, Pen GAR 2.3

Interesting combine tidbits,
Ginning was 8th overall in aerobic fitness, 17th in mean power output, 6th in fatigue index, 11th in wing span, 23rd vertical jump
O'Brien 8th in VO2Max, 3rd in Agility (left), 14th in peak power output, 10th in body fat %, 16th in both jumps, 21st in squat jump
Farabee 15th in fatigue index, 2nd in body fat
(Tkachuk was 17th with 8.44% body fat, who would have thought?)

So O'Brien tested as an elite athlete, but Ginning is a bit of a surprise, maybe there is more upside than Hagg?
Farabee is obviously a loser, all he can do is play hockey, but tests like a wimp.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Patrick is going to be a stud, you can see it when he is on. I think having a real coach in here will drastically change things for these kids.
Yup. Gordons system is especially bad for players like Patrick. His skating is fine, but his acceleration isn't too good, so often having to enter the offensive zone from a standstill isn't helping him at all.

Oskar Man

Social Assassin
Nov 30, 2010
As we've seen with Coots, some guys take time to blossom. He's way too smart and skilled to end up a 3C. I think a big part of his issues were being physically bigger than his competition and injuries in important developmental years.

I have zero worries about him and think his floor will end up around 25g-30a type C that is real solid defensively

johum7

Nov 8, 2017
Freddy
Pettersson makes a good argument for Farabee playing next year.
Pettersson was 6'2 165 at the Combine. Farabee 6'0 162

Petttersson xGP -0.095, EV GAR 7.1, PP GAR 2.6, PEN GAR 5.7
Patrick xGP -0.054, EV GAR 1.8, PP GAR -1.0, Pen GAR 2.3

Interesting combine tidbits,
Ginning was 8th overall in aerobic fitness, 17th in mean power output, 6th in fatigue index, 11th in wing span, 23rd vertical jump
O'Brien 8th in VO2Max, 3rd in Agility (left), 14th in peak power output, 10th in body fat %, 16th in both jumps, 21st in squat jump
Farabee 15th in fatigue index, 2nd in body fat
(Tkachuk was 17th with 8.44% body fat, who would have thought?)

So O'Brien tested as an elite athlete, but Ginning is a bit of a surprise, maybe there is more upside than Hagg?
Farabee is obviously a loser, all he can do is play hockey, but tests like a wimp.
I have more upside then Hagg

alatos

Jun 12, 2011
As some others are saying, I still have high hopes for him. I see him being at least a great 2C. You see flashes from him that you don't really see from a 20 year old on their way to developing into a career third-liner.

Reactions: Adtar02

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
I'm not worried about Patrick at all, disappointed he didn't make the big jump this year, but he didn't add as much strength as I hoped last summer, and being physical (like Couts) will be a big part of his game.

But he's smart, works hard and is responsible defensively, it's so much harder to find two way centers than figure skaters who can score and are also willing to pay the price in other facets of the game - take Lindblom's goal last night - that was a classic "Couts" play.

Given Patrick was a dominant CHL scorer at age 17 before the injuries, it's just a matter of time before he steps it up to the next level. I think another year to physically mature will work wonders, as will keeping him with Lindblom.
What does "not worried" even mean?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad