Nolan Patrick year 2 Review

How would you rate Patrick's year .

• Total voters

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
I liked some of Patrick's game last year and think he's a decent bottom-6 center right now (low-end third liner but elite fourth liner). I'm interested to see what he can do next season behind 1-2 UFA signings (someone like Hayes, Nelson, Johansson, Brassard, Wilson, etc.).

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yes Patrick is young and yes he is talented but watching him thus far, I can’t help but feel that he has more to give that he simply doesn’t.

That has nothing to do with age or talent. Hell, if you put TK’s attitude and drive in Patrick’s body, we’d have a second coming of Lindros. Hopefully it’s simply a learning curve that he’ll grow himself into.

On a more jovial note, Patrick falls on the ice as much as Hartnell in his prime. Must be the number. :)

I wonder if some of Patrick's game is subconsciously due to his injuries, that he's a little nervous about pushing it because he doesn't have confidence in his core. Something that should resolve itself with time.

zizbuka

Apr 4, 2017
I agree. It seems to me that he might be almost near his celling. I hope that I'm wrong.

I feel the same way. I know we all want Patrick to blossom, but I just don't see it. He needs to work with a skating coach. He just seems like one of those guys who doesn't want to stop, and often skates by the play. Maybe because he doesn't have confidence in his skating.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Patrick is more talented than Schenn, better skater, better defensive instincts, better passer.

Schenn didn't start until he was 20, and didn't play a full season until he was 22. Broke out at 26 in St Louis.
Schenn was a tough fit, he really didn't blossom until he got to St Louis and had two top wings.
Unlike Couts, Schenn couldn't elevate the play of his wings.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I remember when people claimed Couturier was at his ceiling as a 20-21 year old.
Couturier was a better player though. He produced nearly at the same rate while being used as a shutdown center. With Couturier the only criticism was his production. He still made players around him better. He's never been a liability.
Patrick on the other hand hasn't shown any of that so far.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Couts had 24 ES points as a rookie, 11 in 46 games his second season, 31 his third season, 29 his 4th season.
CorsiRel his first four seasons: -3.6, 1.0, -3.7, -1.8. Then it steadily rose each season.

It was his 5th and 6th seasons (23 & 24), where he was dinged and only played 63 and 66 games (scoring 31 ES points both seasons) when people underestimated him.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Couturier was a better player though. He produced nearly at the same rate while being used as a shutdown center. With Couturier the only criticism was his production. He still made players around him better. He's never been a liability.
Patrick on the other hand hasn't shown any of that so far.

Sure, but Patrick has still showed flashes.

Certainly enough to make it a questionable call to decree he's hit his peak already.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Sure, but Patrick has still showed flashes.

Certainly enough to make it a questionable call to decree he's hit his peak already.
He's showed flashes, no doubt. And I'm still hopeful. I'm just not as convinced anymore as I was 1-2 years ago.

I never said he's already peaked though. Was just wondering what his ceiling may be at this point.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I thought (and still think) of Patrick as a faster version of Couts, smart two way center who can get you 50+ ES points.
Couts has exceeded everyone's expectations.

I think Patrick will as well, it's easy to forget how serious those injuries were, look at Hollins on the Eagles, 2 sports hernia operations since last August and he's still out of commission. Cost Giroux a couple seasons of subpar play.

Now if Patrick doesn't step up this season, with another summer to work on his core strength (2 years away from surgery), then I'll start to worry - but I suspect he'll take a big step up this year, especially if paired with Lindblom - and 40+ ES points with his defense would make him a solid 2C.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
I thought Patrick's overall game improved last season, just not as much as I'd hoped.

His defensive game seemed better, and I'm sure the coaches were giving that a high priority.

His giveaways and takeaways both improved.

His face-off percentage improved to 51.2%, which is good for a second year center.

His shooting percentage was up a bit, but total shots were actually down from 2017-18. He was ninth among the forwards in shots per game last season.

His PP time was down a bit, along with PP scoring. He's got good hands around the net, so this should be an area of significant points improvement going forward.

With new coaches and an emphasis on getting in top condition during the off-season, next season should be a step up. A twenty goal season, with 25 helpers isn't out of the question.

The kid has skills. He's smart, very competitive and will get stronger. He'll be a valuable guy going forward.

One tip, Nolan; get a helmet that fits. Repeatedly taking a hand off your stick (during play) to adjust a helmet that's flopping around isn't a good look, and it's a needless distraction. :hit:

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
Patrick taking the next step is huge for this franchise. I’m confident it will happen. You can see he has much more to offer but it hasn’t clicked yet. It may be a Couturier-like timeline, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it happens in the next two seasons.

Agreed.. the hip surgeries may have affected his development more than we think. He looked like he lost significant acceleration in his 16-17 junior season.

He also joined the organization during some its worst, most underperforming years. There haven’t been good systems/coaching in place and there hasn’t been a winning culture.

With a nearly complete roster, solid coaching, finally a reliable goalie, a consistently performing squad, and more group confidence, the 19-20 season could see a number of players emerge as better than we expected.

Reactions: Nabrules

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I expect his play to be better this upcoming year, but there’s a chance his production doesn’t reflect it thanks to poor usage (quality and/or quantity).

Hopefully the coaches don’t f*** him over.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
As a third line C this year I hope he really has a breakout year. Not points wise, but just being able to be a more consistent play driving Centre! I predicting he has 18G, 26G - 44 points this year while growing into the player we envision.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
As a third line C this year I hope he really has a breakout year. Not points wise, but just being able to be a more consistent play driving Centre! I predicting he has 18G, 26G - 44 points this year while growing into the player we envision.
I know he'd be 3C, but he's still gotta have more than that. I think he has to sniff 60 points in order for management to not get antsy and impatient.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
I know he'd be 3C, but he's still gotta have more than that. I think he has to sniff 60 points in order for management to not get antsy and impatient.
That is truly concerning. Most of us can agree there are only so many points to go around. He almost certainly isn’t going to get first power play time. He will get similar ES time as Hayes.

If he goes above 50 this year, I think it’s an absolute win. 40-45 is a pretty good goal if there is some relative amount of consistency throughout the year. There are going to be droughts if you are at .5 ppg, but there can’t be another ice cold start for him. That, I think, will raise eyebrows from the flyers brass.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly

Sean Couturier didn't sniff 60 points until he was 25. Claude Giroux didn't sniff 60 points until he was 24, same as Jake Voracek. Kevin Hayes is still waiting to sniff 60 and likely never will.

Can we please have a little bit of patience for our not quite 21 year old?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Sean Couturier didn't sniff 60 points until he was 25. Claude Giroux didn't sniff 60 points until he was 24, same as Jake Voracek. Kevin Hayes is still waiting to sniff 60 and likely never will.

Can we please have a little bit of patience for our not quite 21 year old?
Different management group this time. Not saying you're wrong. But that's how I think they're going to see it. It's no secret from up top that immediate results are expected.

Vigneault's teams are notorious for slow starts as well, so we'll see how that plays into it as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->