Nolan Patrick, Part 2

Doodootheclown

Oct 24, 2011
DelCo
If he plays on PP1 all year he'll score 40. Healthy off season to train and get stronger and better for the first time in years. Guy has such soft hands around the net and knows where to be.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
If he plays on PP1 all year he'll score 40. Healthy off season to train and get stronger and better for the first time in years. Guy has such soft hands around the net and knows where to be.

40 might be a tad optimistic, but 30 is certainly within range.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Honestly though, his potential is sky high. Towards the end of the year he was making plays that even Voracek/Lindblom weren't prepared for. He was heralded as a franchise center before his draft year. A fully healthy offseason will do him wonders. As good as Couts was this year, I wouldn't be shocked if Patrick is better next year.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Honestly though, his potential is sky high. Towards the end of the year he was making plays that even Voracek/Lindblom weren't prepared for. He was heralded as a franchise center before his draft year. A fully healthy offseason will do him wonders. As good as Couts was this year, I wouldn't be shocked if Patrick is better next year.
I expect both to be between 50-65 points next year.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
This kid has stupid levels of potential. I've said it enough times, but I'm bored so I'll say it again: On a team with Ghost, Voracek, and Giroux, I think he's already a season or two away from becoming the best playmaker on the team. He already has the best touch on his passes. It's absurd. I think I could handle his passes with ease, and I suck.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
This kid has stupid levels of potential. I've said it enough times, but I'm bored so I'll say it again: On a team with Ghost, Voracek, and Giroux, I think he's already a season or two away from becoming the best playmaker on the team. He already has the best touch on his passes. It's absurd. I think I could handle his passes with ease, and I suck.

Don't sell yourself short, Beef, you're a tremendous slouch. :naughty:

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I echo the sentiment about handling his passes with ease....I used to play RW in HS but as a lefty I would have to receive hard passes on my backhand which I never mastered but I liked sniping shots on the goalie whenever I did handle a pass properly. Patrick would probably make me look like Brett Hull...

Reactions: Beef Invictus

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The biggest problem he had in the last few months was lack of strength - once he gets a chance to work out he'll be able to hold his ground in front of the net - and while Simmonds is one of the best in the league in that area, I think Patrick will be better because he has such soft hands and eye to hand coordination.

Really, the kid has no flaws, above average skater, shooter, passer, great defensive instincts, work ethic, hockey IQ.
He hits all the check marks, while he may not be elite in any one area, he's going to be a great all around center.
All he needs is to get stronger, build up his stamina and get a year or two of experience under his belt.

Last edited:

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
His play on pp1 is one of the reasons why i do suspect Simmonds to be traded. If simmonds is not on the 1st pp his value is greatly diminished and i don't see how you can have him on the PP over Patrick.

I Think patrick can get 60 points this next year.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
The biggest problem he had in the last few months was lack of strength - once he gets a change to work out he'll be able to hold his ground in front of the net - and while Simmonds is one of the best in the league in that area, I think Patrick will be better because he has such soft hands and eye to hand coordination.

Really, the kid has no flaws, above average skater, shooter, passer, great defensive instincts, work ethic, hockey IQ.
He hits all the check marks, while he may not be elite in any one area, he's going to be a great all around center.
All he needs is to get stronger, build up his stamina and get a year or two of experience under his belt.

It is a fair assessment, but I think you are selling his hockey IQ and passing short, he could very well become an elite player in both those facets.

Last edited:

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
The biggest problem he had in the last few months was lack of strength - once he gets a change to work out he'll be able to hold his ground in front of the net - and while Simmonds is one of the best in the league in that area, I think Patrick will be better because he has such soft hands and eye to hand coordination.

No flaws is correct, and What i am hoping for is his play to improve in his own zone once he get his legs underneath him. He imo was a bit of a non factor in his own zone and his line was constanly getting pinned. It made sense to put voracek on his line since jake is probably our best puck handling player in transition. If all of a sudden nolan can skate the puck out of the dzone and into the ozone with regularity we have an elite centerman on our hands. THat combined with his hands and iq would be the total package.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think one reason Patrick gets underrated and doubted is that nothing jumps out at you, especially last year.
Most of the top prospects have something special, Laine's shot, Nico's skating, etc.
With Patrick, even when his skating improved, it was good but not great, same with his shot, etc. And the more subtle aspects of the game don't jump out at you - like his defensive positioning, which right now is all instinct.

The second issue was the injuries, you have to go back to his pre-draft minus one season at 17, and that colors perceptions, gee, he only had 30 points as a rookie.
Then you look at the stats of the Lindblom - Patrick - Voracek line v Giroux - Couts - TK and they're practically identical, and that's with Lindblom adjusting to the NHL and Voracek adjusting to playing with two rookies.
At that point I start salivating, thinking about rolling two "1st lines."

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Patrick is great.

He's not gonna be better than Couturier any time soon, if ever.

Coots is, at minimum, a top 10 center in the league.

Reactions: Rebels57

johum7

Nov 8, 2017
Freddy
Patrick is great.

He's not gonna be better than Couturier any time soon, if ever.

Coots is, at minimum, a top 10 center in the league.
Top 15, maybe. For sure not top 10

I can think of 14 guys who are either better or just as good as Coots from 12 teams alone

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas

I can think of 14 guys who are either better or just as good as Coots from 12 teams alone

Nah.

McDavid
Kopitar
MacKinnon
Seguin
Crosby
Malkin
Tavares
Matthews

If you trade Coots for Stamkos, Bergeron, Toews, Getz, Kuznetsov, Backstrom at this point you're losing.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Nah.

McDavid
Kopitar
MacKinnon
Seguin
Crosby
Malkin
Tavares
Matthews

If you trade Coots for Stamkos, Bergeron, Toews, Getz, Kuznetsov, Backstrom at this point you're losing.

Who is better and who is worth more are different questions.

Reactions: johum7

johum7

Nov 8, 2017
Freddy
Nah.

McDavid
Kopitar
MacKinnon
Seguin
Crosby
Malkin
Tavares
Matthews

Bergeron is super Couturier’s in my opinion, so I don’t know how you could possibly lose that exchange. I’d take established point producers in Stamkos, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Getzlaf, etc over Coots who’s had one great offensive season, and 6 mediocre offensive ones any day of the week. I’d consider having both Barkov and O’Reilly better then Coots as well

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Hes a Selke Candidate coming off of a 30 plus goal, 76 point season. Unless you dont value defensive play at all?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Bergeron is super Couturier’s in my opinion, so I don’t know how you could possibly lose that exchange. I’d take established point producers in Stamkos, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Getzlaf, etc over Coots who’s had one great offensive season, and 6 mediocre offensive ones any day of the week. I’d consider having both Barkov and O’Reilly better then Coots as well

Holy terrible opinion Batman.

Reactions: Stizzle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad