Nolan Patrick, Part 2

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I think he easily could have finished with 40-45 points if he played on the #1 PP all season long. I think he will put up about 50 ES points next year with minimal power play time.

Reactions: Jtown

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Nico is the one with the 50 point rookie season who Patrick still has to catch up to. There's a reason it was up for debate. And there's also a reason Nico went #1. He still has a lot of MAN strength to build too. I think Patrick could be just as good, and better is always a possibility because anything can happen with two hotly debated prospects, but regret? Stop. They'll both be great.

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Yeah Nico had a great season. Not sure people realize how well.

He had 45 ES points and only 6 PP points. He can easily add another 10+ PP points to his totals going forward.

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Nico is going to be a top scorer, but watching Patrick skate, I think he's going to be better than most people thought once he fills out, he's an above average skater already and may get more explosive as he finally gets to build up core strength. And he's much bigger than Nico, so he can be a physically dominating center - which is what I'd prefer in the playoffs.

Nico went #1 because he was a safer bet, you knew you were getting a top offensive center.
Nolan had some serious health issues, but watching him the last month or so, they look to be behind him.
When you look at his numbers at 17, when he was healthy, he dominated juniors, and stepped it up in the playoffs that year.
21g 13-17 30 +19
We're just starting to see the guy that kid would have become if he hadn't gone through two serious surgeries.
Next year (fingers crossed) we'll finally get to see the "real" Nolan Patrick.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Yeah Nico had a great season. Not sure people realize how well.

He had 45 ES points and only 6 PP points. He can easily add another 10+ PP points to his totals going forward.
He's really money in transition and neutral zone. That Datsyuk like goal was no fluke.

Still Patrick is already a solid second liner center. Both him and Hischier had hockey gods do them a great favor the way ping pong balls fell.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think Nico will outscore Patrick on a regular basis, but not by a huge margin, though Patrick will get more PP goals b/c he has such great hands around the net.
But Patrick will be the better defensive player because of his size and instincts.

Depends on the style you want to play, Nico's a better fit for a more wide open scheme with his speed, but to me Patrick is a better cultural fit for the Flyers, they may not be the broad street bullies anymore, but a Flyers team that doesn't play physical is an aberration and a sin against the Hockey Gods.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Nico is going to be a top scorer, but watching Patrick skate, I think he's going to be better than most people thought once he fills out, he's an above average skater already and may get more explosive as he finally gets to build up core strength. And he's much bigger than Nico, so he can be a physically dominating center - which is what I'd prefer in the playoffs.

Nico went #1 because he was a safer bet, you knew you were getting a top offensive center
Nolan had some serious health issues, but watching him the last month or so, they look to be behind him.
When you look at his numbers at 17, when he was healthy, he dominated juniors, and stepped it up in the playoffs that year.
21g 13-17 30 +19
We're just starting to see the guy that kid would have become if he hadn't gone through two serious surgeries.
Next year (fingers crossed) we'll finally get to see the "real" Nolan Patrick.

There were legitimate concerns that Nico might have to transition to wing at draft time
Can you please stop?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I didn't watch a lot of Devils games but did Nico start out right away getting big minutes on a scoring line? He got a full three minutes more per night than Patrick and I imagine the gap was much bigger earlier on but I don't know fo sho.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I didn't watch a lot of Devils games but did Nico start out right away getting big minutes on a scoring line? He got a full three minutes more per night than Patrick and I imagine the gap was much bigger earlier on but I don't know fo sho.
He started on 3rd line...but had little issue outplaying their other centres.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I think Nico will outscore Patrick on a regular basis, but not by a huge margin, though Patrick will get more PP goals b/c he has such great hands around the net.
But Patrick will be the better defensive player because of his size and instincts.

Depends on the style you want to play, Nico's a better fit for a more wide open scheme with his speed, but to me Patrick is a better cultural fit for the Flyers, they may not be the broad street bullies anymore, but a Flyers team that doesn't play physical is an aberration and a sin against the Hockey Gods.

Nico is already outstanding defensively. Probably costing him points at this point

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Sucks that Nico went to the Devils....not so much that we didn't really have the chance to draft him. As has been said...we were playing with house money anyway. We lucked out and still got a solid player.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Nolan is the guy i wanted for one simple reason. If He hadn't gotten hurt he would have been picked number 1 overall. I don't know what NIco does better than Patrick. Nico may be a better skater east to west but that is it. Patrick can score in everyway, he has the softest hands, makes no look passes, lifts sticks with ease. We are just witnessing the beginning. It is only going to get better.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
One of the most interesting things in this series will be to see how Patrick fares against Crosby/Malkin/Brassard. He could be key for an upset.

If in the middle of this series we are talking about Konecny and Patrick, we will be winning this series. Coots stepped up in 2012, so did Schenn. We are going to need a big effort from our young guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad