Seravalli: Nolan Patrick hires new agent

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Would Logan Brown (6'6" center, 11th overall in '16, great numbers in AHL but struggling with consistency and injuries) for Nolan Patrick make any sense? Two players who could use a change.
If im Philly, im trading him a more sure fire NHLer. Not another project type person.
You can easily get a 30-40ish point C on a decent deal for him IMO.
Patrick is still young, and not too removed from being a top pick.

A team will bite on him.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Teams that lack forward prospects/depth should take a shot at him as a lottery ticket, looking at the ducks,wings, blue jackets and Sabres imo
Yeah we like to take on former top picks that didn't pan out with their original team (Fleury, Gudbranson). I could see the Ducks swapping Sam Steel for Nolan Patrick.
Could also see Philly developing Steel better by having him focus on his offensive skills and stop turning him into a grinder defense first forward. Ducks might have a better chance at getting Patrick to turn into that defensive center they are grooming Steel to be given Patrick is a much larger man than Steel.

Reactions: TheNewEra

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
If im Philly, im trading him a more sure fire NHLer. Not another project type person.

A team will bite on him.
I don't see a team trading a decent 30-40 point C for Patrick right now. At best it would be one that's a borderline dump like Johnson, Henrique, Victor Rask, and maybe even Duchene. None would fit with the Flyers' plans though.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham

A team will bite on him.
How about Andrew Copp from Winnipeg

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Patrick really got screwed just taking the QO his last contract. He had 2 decent 3rd line quality seasons in his first 2 years and then was out the entire 3rd year. He at least deserved a raise based on that respectable production, even if he missed a year to injury. No reason he shouldn't have gotten a 1 or 2 year deal at $1.5 to $1.75/yr. Now he has a terrible season and zero leverage. His agent definitely deserved to get fired.
What leverage did Patrick have coming off a season where he was paid....but played no games...AND was still dealing with migraines?

Would Logan Brown (6'6" center, 11th overall in '16, great numbers in AHL but struggling with consistency and injuries) for Nolan Patrick make any sense? Two players who could use a change.
No. Backread and you can see it's already been discussed

How about Andrew Copp from Winnipeg

Copp is much better right now....and will be more expensive(rightly so). But the Flyers don't need any wingers and that's where Copp is much better, correct? Given what Lowry signed for, I assume Copp will be getting 3.5-4.25 million?

The Flyers are just better off keeping him and see if the offseason of training has a big impact and let him prove himself next year.

Reactions: BernieParent

C0DITH

Apr 30, 2017
Flyers sign him for a $1mil/1year and see what he brings over the off-season/next season. Zero reasons to give up on him based on the fact he missed so much time / then hit right into covid with barely any training camp/proper practices throughout the year.

Reactions: phil162888

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019

A team will bite on him.

Good thing you're not Philly bc thats a horrible take

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario

A team will bite on him.

Just like a team was for sure going to bite on Poolparty?

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Saw a PHI article on The Hockey Writers suggesting Patrick and PHI's 2021 1st for Hronek.

... I'm not advocating for or against it, I'm just throwing it out there for discussion.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I haven't seen him play that much, but he looks like a competent player when I have.
Good on the draw and has an offensive toolbox. Two 30+ point seasons.

How does he not deserve $1.5m as a 4C?

Did you miss the spot where he somehow went -30 in 52 games while only playing 13 minute a night. That means he wasn't even playing against the other teams top guys and still got lit up. He has had a tough run because of injuries, so I am rooting for him to turn it around, however no matter how you shake it he must have been brutal this year, stat watching or not.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Saw a PHI article on The Hockey Writers suggesting Patrick and PHI's 2021 1st for Hronek.

... I'm not advocating for or against it, I'm just throwing it out there for discussion.

I'm against it. That would be a middling-late 1st round pick and a massive injury/not a player risk as the add on.

Reactions: CairneBloodhoof

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

HAHAHA

The Flyers wouldnt trade 13th overall straight up for Hronek. He's not very good. Both assets could be used in much smarter ways.

Reactions: captainpaxil

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I'm against it. That would be a middling-late 1st round pick and a massive injury/not a player risk as the add on.

I wouldn't do it unless the pick was swapped to a 2022 1st, but then PHI probably wouldn't do it lol.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Good thing you're not Philly bc thats a horrible take
I guess if I was a Philly fan, I would be more concerned with getting better next year, than wishing a guy who seems to be a project hits his potential.

9 points in 52 games isnt exactly good results. His shooting % was just above 8 which isnt horrible, although below his career average of 10%.
Saying that, even if his shooting % goes back to where it was his first two years he would have had 5 goals instead of 4.

Could he have a massive breakout and get into the .5+ppg teritory? Sure, he is still young.
But that would be a sizeable increase on his .355 ppg he has played at through almost 200 games.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I guess if I was a Philly fan, I would be more concerned with getting better next year, than wishing a guy who seems to be a project hits his potential.

9 points in 52 games isnt exactly good results. His shooting % was just above 8 which isnt horrible, although below his career average of 10%.
Saying that, even if his shooting % goes back to where it was his first two years he would have had 5 goals instead of 4.

Could he have a massive breakout and get into the .5+ppg teritory? Sure, he is still young.
But that would be a sizeable increase on his .355 ppg he has played at through almost 200 games.
That is a bit misleading though.

His ppg was .42 going into this past year. Yes he had an awful year....but you seem to ignore that he missing a whole year, In fact....it was 21 months in between NHL games....so almost 2 years. AND he was not able to train hard in the offseason due to the migraines. So for sure he played all season out of shape....and it showed. He was always a step behind.

You say to just trade him for a 30-40 point C. Well we don't need to trade him for that since if he falters, we have Laughton who can be that. We also have Frost returning who can be that.

It's really easy to see that the upside of keeping him and his likely sub 1 million contract outweighs the flipside of trading him for a 30-40 point guy making an unknown amount. They stuck by him thru all the suffering, why give up on him now that he finally can train in the offseason and has the migraines under control? Patrick knows how big this offseason is....as do the Flyers. Let's see what Patrick does with it.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019

Flyer team had a bad season...really odd to pick 1 guy out as if the team succeeded or failed on his performance.

I'd rather chance Patrick hits closer to his #2 OA potential than settle for a reliable 3rd/4th line player. The Flyers team is loaded with 3rd liners...adding another does nothing for them.

Reactions: phil162888

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
The Flyers just got Farabee from the same type of placing....#14 vs #13.

Yeah, but you can't count on finding a really good player. It is just as easily turn out to be an Evgeni Svechnikov which would not be a good return for Hronek.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Yeah, but you can't count on finding a really good player. It is just as easily turn out to be an Evgeni Svechnikov which would not be a good return for Hronek.
Agreed. You have to trust your scouts if you woukd rather the picks.

from the Flyers perspective, we woukd rather the pick and keep Patrick given we have Myers for the middle pair RHD. We need a legit top pair RHD.

And from the DRW side, they 100% should just keep Hronek and hope Seider develops into the #1 Dman they hoped for, which would slot Hronek to the 2nd pairing where he should be.

Reactions: Oddbob

Wyzer Plan

May 11, 2011
HAHAHA

The Flyers wouldnt trade 13th overall straight up for Hronek. He's not very good. Both assets could be used in much smarter ways.

That's great because Hronek has out scored Patrick since coming into the league as a defenceman. On top of getting all the toughest assignments because he's detroits defacto number 1 because he's that much better than every other dman on the team. Give him a number 1 like provorov as a linemate he's going to look like a steal for a middling 1st round and a bust.

Reactions: CairneBloodhoof

the Chad Kilger

Apr 30, 2020
He's a good fit for the Flyers, he's just not a good fit with them at this time.

But Nolan Patrick no doubt was more than ready for the NHL, but is blocked out by guys like Giroux, Couturier and now Hayes. Patrick deserves another chance with a new and I believe Calgary to be the team that might be the best fit for him right now.

Probably Tkachuk/Gaudreau for Patrick+.

If not Calgary then I think either Arizona, Columbus, Minnesota, Detroit, or Ottawa. But I think Vegas might go after him considering McCrimmon goes after ex-Wheat Kings. Rumour was Vegas was planning on drafting him if they won the lottery.
bolded can't be serious. even johnny hockey as a rental carries way more value than Patrick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad