Seravalli: Nolan Patrick hires new agent

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
Theres certainly plenty of blame to go around this year, don't get me wrong. But AV tried forcing square pegs in round holes, he's got noone to blame but himself.

Hope they can get this offseason right, but I have my doubts about Fletchers ability to win trades, and even more doubtful he can do it while navigating an expansion draft (see his time in Minnesota). I'm expecting another sad season, but will be happy to be proven wrong!

At least Morin getting some playing time. Might be the most exciting thing about this team XD XD XD

Here's to hoping I'm dead wrong

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
Didn't he start off really well and then took a massive nose dive ?

Did things change, or did he just start sucking ?

His rookie season was decent and his sophmore season was okay. He was about 30ppg both years. He missed entire junior season (3rd) due to migraines and came back this past year...and, well, you could tell he had some time off...a lot of 4th line minutes.

Now he wants to be treated like #2OA without ever having played like it :-/

Hopefully he has a great offseason and is ready to go 3c full-time. He had chances for 2c with Couts out this year (injury) but couldn't hang

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
It's tough to call someone a bust when they've been hampered by migraines among other things. It's an unfortunate situation and I do feel bad for him.

That said, he's not getting a raise. Nor should he.

Flyers will likely give Couturier a deal worth 9-10 million per season. They have Hart & young defenceman coming up for renewal too.

Here's the problem:

Forester and O'Brien are ready to play. Frost is ready to play.

Flyers are locked in w/ Hayes and Patrick is a complete unknown. Now we also have Laughton long-term but hes adaptable...

So whose gonna get ice time?? Resign Couts and we have Couts and Haye locked up. Now we have like 4 qualified guys fighting for 3c ice time ?? Not good asset management

Similarly defense is already logjammed with 3-6 players and York is ready to play.

I'd love to keep peeps but we need ice time and roster spots not just cap space.

Voracek should be dealt to SEA even if it costs a 2nd. He's been here 10 seasons and we've won 2 playoff series with him here and his amazing 0.5ppg in the postseason. He's a nice guy but not someone we build around....Couts is someone we build around.

Reactions: DarthProbert

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Here's the problem:

Forester and O'Brien are ready to play. Frost is ready to play.

Flyers are locked in w/ Hayes and Patrick is a complete unknown. Now we also have Laughton long-term but hes adaptable...

So whose gonna get ice time?? Resign Couts and we have Couts and Haye locked up. Now we have like 4 qualified guys fighting for 3c ice time ?? Not good asset management

Similarly defense is already logjammed with 3-6 players and York is ready to play.

I'd love to keep peeps but we need ice time and roster spots not just cap space.

Voracek should be dealt to SEA even if it costs a 2nd. He's been here 10 seasons and we've won 2 playoff series with him here and his amazing 0.5ppg in the postseason. He's a nice guy but not someone we build around....Couts is someone we build around.
Foerster just injured his collarbone. He won't be in the NHL next year.
O'Brien still has not left college. He won't be in the NHL next season.
Frost we hope he is and that he has no setbacks with his shoulder.

Let's see who is even exposed in the ED first, then who is taken, before we start figuring out lines. And also, have we not learned that injuries WILL happen. You need more than just your starting 12 forwards.

Couts missed 10 games
Frost missed all season

Having EXTRA bodies is a must.

And the D is not log jammed.

Provy, Sanheim, Myers, Ghost, Braun, Hagg....signed for next year....then York. You need 7.....and Hagg should not be in the top 6.

And that's why I said let's wait until after the ED.....we could lost Ghost...or Braun. That changes what we do vs if a F is taken.

But this thread is about Nolan. He has said this is the most important offseason of his life. That sounds like a motivated guy who knows he was not near good enough. He will be dirt cheap to re-sign, let's see what he does with that training time and possibly reap the benefits of it next year.

Reactions: BernieParent

ToasterStutzle

Aug 10, 2010
Manitoba, Canada
I watched a ton of Patrick as a Wheat King and he was one of those guys in junior who made something special happen everytime he was on the ice. Sad to see injuries de-rail he career so much.

That being sad, I'd love to see the sens give him a shot. Maybe Logan Brown and a 3rd/4th for Nolan Patrick? Honestly I think Brown straight up might even get it done at this point.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I watched a ton of Patrick as a Wheat King and he was one of those guys in junior who made something special happen everytime he was on the ice. Sad to see injuries de-rail he career so much.

That being sad, I'd love to see the sens give him a shot. Maybe Logan Brown and a 3rd/4th for Nolan Patrick? Honestly I think Brown straight up might even get it done at this point.
So the Flyers trade the younger player, who has actually had 2 seasons proving he is an NHLer, AND has the more upside....for just an older, worse player with
less upside?

Boy, where do we sign up?

Reactions: BillDineen

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
nowhere near the value Jones is worth.

Is it really that far off? Stone didn't return that much and he came with an extension. Karlsson got a large quantity of pieces but he was also an extremely overhyped player. I just can't see Jones getting what Karlsson got, and that package (1st/Patrick/Ghost) is similar to the Stone deal.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
If he can play RW then I wouldn't mind him in Boston as a 3C/RW. Bergeron could be a good mentor for him as a guy himsepf whose come back from head issues and has had a HOF career.

Last edited:

AZviaNJ

Setbacks, no Defeats
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Is it really that far off? Stone didn't return that much and he came with an extension. Karlsson got a large quantity of pieces but he was also an extremely overhyped player. I just can't see Jones getting what Karlsson got, and that package (1st/Patrick/Ghost) is similar to the Stone deal.
we’re talking a top 10 NHL defensemen who’s only 26, with size who plays 25 minutes a game. He has to return a 1C, at a minimum.

Patrick is a borderline NHLer at this point, Ghost was waived mid season (and cleared!) and the while the 1st is nice it would take a lot more.

I think the CBJ ask would be Couturier, the 1st and maybe a defensive prospect.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
With Danault possibly out, or at the very least not being signed because of the Seattle expansion.. I can see Montreal using some futures for his potential.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
we’re talking a top 10 NHL defensemen who’s only 26, with size who plays 25 minutes a game. He has to return a 1C, at a minimum.

Patrick is a borderline NHLer at this point, Ghost was waived mid season (and cleared!) and the while the 1st is nice it would take a lot more.

Ahaha thats hilarious. Couturier for Jones is pretty much even given they're both 1 year away from UFA. I don't like either team but you're significantly overrating Jones

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

You have the first and the prospect on the wrong side.

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011
Glad we didnt take him.

Once we won the lottery, I went back and forth between him and Nico for weeks until about mid-May where I concluded Nico was the better choice. Proud to call our young son our Captain.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019

Couts is actually a 1c. Jones is a 2-4D. He is far from the stud you make him out to be.

CBJ

Couts

PHI

Jones (w/ extension)
Roslovic
2021 2nd

ToasterStutzle

Aug 10, 2010
Manitoba, Canada
So the Flyers trade the younger player, who has actually had 2 seasons proving he is an NHLer, AND has the more upside....for just an older, worse player with
less upside?

Logan Brown is 23, Nolan Patrick is 22 lol age really isn't a concern.

What has Nolan Patrick proved so far in the NHL that makes him so valuable/untouchable? He had 30 and 31 points in his first 2 seasons and then regressed this season scoring 9 points in 52 gp.

Logan Brown in 23 gp last season had 8 points and has had 3 very good runs in the AHL, one of which he scored over a PPG and helped put Belleville in a position to go on a deep playoff run pre-covid.

By no means am I saying Logan Brown is an earth shattering can't miss prospect but value wise he's not far off Patrick, especially if he wants out. Both were top 10 draft picks, both are struggling to take the next step and move up the depth chart and both could use a change of scenery. I'm not sure what you value NP at but I doubt the rest of the league shares the same assessment.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
less upside?

I don't see a lot less upside or a worse player. About the only thing Patrick has going for him at this point is his draft position, and Brown himself was 11th overall.

1. They'll be the same age when the season starts. Brown is only 6 months older. Brown's also bigger and more productive as a Pro (see his AHL stats)
2. Brown's had a series of minor injuries that have kept him out of the NHL but they aren't career threatening like Patrick's. They've played a similar number of games since they've been drafted.
3. They have near identical NHL PPG (admittedly Brown has played far less).
4. Both are subject to waivers next season and need to be protected, both will be looking for similar money.

I think Patrick is more valuable, but I think it is a lot closer than you might think.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Ahaha thats hilarious. Couturier for Jones is pretty much even given they're both 1 year away from UFA. I don't like either team but you're significantly overrating Jones
that dude is on something....I wouldn't even do couts straight up for jones, let alone add a 1st and a d prospect lmao. wtf kinda trade is that hahahaaha

Reactions: JKG33 and Tripod

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Logan Brown is 23, Nolan Patrick is 22 lol age really isn't a concern.

What has Nolan Patrick proved so far in the NHL that makes him so valuable/untouchable? He had 30 and 31 points in his first 2 seasons and then regressed this season scoring 9 points in 52 gp.

Logan Brown in 23 gp last season had 8 points and has had 3 very good runs in the AHL, one of which he scored over a PPG and helped put Belleville in a position to go on a deep playoff run pre-covid.

By no means am I saying Logan Brown is an earth shattering can't miss prospect but value wise he's not far off Patrick, especially if he wants out. Both were top 10 draft picks, both are struggling to take the next step and move up the depth chart and both could use a change of scenery. I'm not sure what you value NP at but I doubt the rest of the league shares the same assessment.
What has Brown done to prove he is an NHLer?

Great...he had 8 points last year....then could not make the NHL this year.

Meanwhile Patrick has 70 career points despite being drafted a year earlier and having to miss a year....then play a year without training.

You say both are struggling to take the exit step....and for Logan that's to become a NHL regular. Nolan has proved he can be a 3rd line C. He needs an offseason to train to prove he can get back to it...but has proven he already has it in him.
I don't see a lot less upside or a worse player. About the only thing Patrick has going for him at this point is his draft position, and Brown himself was 11th overall.

1. They'll be the same age when the season starts. Brown is only 6 months older. Brown's also bigger and more productive as a Pro (see his AHL stats)
2. Brown's had a series of minor injuries that have kept him out of the NHL but they aren't career threatening like Patrick's. They've played a similar number of games since they've been drafted.
3. They have near identical NHL PPG (admittedly Brown has played far less).
4. Both are subject to waivers next season and need to be protected, both will be looking for similar money.

I think Patrick is more valuable, but I think it is a lot closer than you might think.
Hahaha....Brown is not more productive....you are comparing NHL to AHL.

Injuries....yup a concern. You mention how they have played a similar amount of games, but ignore Brown has 9 points and Patrick has 70. Oh wait, you didn't ignore it, you said Brown is the more productive pro....lol.

The Flyers will keep the younger player with more upside who has already proven more. You keep Brown.

ToasterStutzle

Aug 10, 2010
Manitoba, Canada
What has Brown done to prove he is an NHLer?

Great...he had 8 points last year....then could not make the NHL this year.

Meanwhile Patrick has 70 career points despite being drafted a year earlier and having to miss a year....then play a year without training.

You say both are struggling to take the exit step....and for Logan that's to become a NHL regular. Nolan has proved he can be a 3rd line C. He needs an offseason to train to prove he can get back to it...but has proven he already has it in him.

Hahaha....Brown is not more productive....you are comparing NHL to AHL.

Injuries....yup a concern. You mention how they have played a similar amount of games, but ignore Brown has 9 points and Patrick has 70. Oh wait, you didn't ignore it, you said Brown is the more productive pro....lol.

The Flyers will keep the younger player with more upside who has already proven more. You keep Brown.

Brown has 30 career NHL games vs Patrick's 197. I believe Condra was considering NHL/AHL games both as pro games/career. Which they are in a sense but you can't equate them. The big thing that is being overlooked here is the NP scored 9! points this season in 52 games and was -30. To give that some perspective, Austin Watson scored 10 points in 34 games and was a -7 on the sens. Both teams finished in the bottom 10 in the league in goal differential and only separated by -5. The gap between the 2 really isn't that big. In fact if I'd argue that if there wasn't an expansion draft this season he would of been on the taxi squad for Frost, but the organization didn't want to have to protect Frost from Seattle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->