Seravalli: Nolan Patrick hires new agent

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Brown has 30 career NHL games vs Patrick's 197. I believe Condra was considering NHL/AHL games both as pro games/career. Which they are in a sense but you can't equate them. The big thing that is being overlooked here is the NP scored 9! points this season in 52 games and was -30. To give that some perspective, Austin Watson scored 10 points in 34 games and was a -7 on the sens. Both teams finished in the bottom 10 in the league in goal differential and only separated by -5. The gap between the 2 really isn't that big. In fact if I'd argue that if there wasn't an expansion draft this season he would of been on the taxi squad for Frost, but the organization didn't want to have to protect Frost from Seattle.
No Flyer fan is saying Patrick had a good year. He didn't. But he also had not played a game in 19 months and has not been able to train in an offseason in 3 years.

And how did Brown do in the NHL this year? Oh....1 game.

As for expansion, you are not informed. Frost is expansion exempt even if he played every game this year. So there is no scenario where Seattle could have taken him. Sorry to squash your "theory".

So again, Patrick was drafted later. Is younger. Better draft petigree. Has a better history in the NHL -being a 3rd lineC. As shitty as he was this year, was still an NHLer, yet Brown wasn't. AND Brown has been able to train and Patrick has not.

Blaine8797

Nov 26, 2018
A bust, an overpaid defensive liabilitu and a 1st pick in a terrible draft doesn't net you Jones anyways
Did someone get hurt by me stating the truth you’d be lucky to get a bust 2nd overall pick and a defensive liability that just happens to have better defensive metrics then the so called superstar you’re talking about, and referring to this draft most of these kids haven’t had a lot of their last two seasons scouted most are likely to be better than thought of IMO more likely to have better players slip further

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Flyers should hold onto him.

Surely, he will be able to develop into a 35-40 point defensive 3C, no? Even if his injuries affect him long term?
well his first 2 years that's what he was...paced for 35 pts. So we at least we know he can be that if he just gets back to where he was.....whereas someone like Logan Brown has not proven that yet.

In the end, we will all likely have our answers next season. He knows how important this off season is and has stated so. If he comes back next year and has another year like this one, then he likely isn't bouncing back. If he comes back and puts up around 25-30 ES pts and another 5-10 on the PP....then he is back to where he was. And of course if he produces more,then it's bonus at this point.

In the end, he accomplished 2 things. The migraines have gotten under control, and he played all year without them coming back and had no injuries. Him being able to go into the offseason HEALTHY is a huge deal. Now it's up to him to make the best of it. He knows there is no big pay raises coming if he doesn't play better and become more than he is. But at least he seems to be able to put the healthy concerns behind him...for now.

And if I am Philly, I keep him and hope to be the beneficiary of his healthy offseason. You stuck with him thru the bad shit, why bail now when the payoff of waiting is about to be unveiled? I still would not COUNT on anything but a roster spot from him and I would not "trade Frost because we have Patrick". I go to camp with both players who have lots to prove and let's see how they do.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Flyers should hold onto him.

Surely, he will be able to develop into a 35-40 point defensive 3C, no? Even if his injuries affect him long term?
The other fear with him is that he will just be out of the league because of his injuries. So, his floor is zero, and because of his injury history, he has a greater chance to hit that floor than most players. His ceiling, which was obviously thought to be very high when he was drafted, is now much, much, lower. It's really hard to say, because of....injuries.

I am getting Doug Wickenheiser vibes from Patrick. Hope I am wrong

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
If he's available this feels like a Dubas move, Patrick is only 22, he's a center, if the Leafs could develop him into a #2 then JT could move to the wing eventually because Tavares is already 30, eventually you are going to need a new #2 center.

This seems like potentially a good buy low candidate IF he's truly available

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
I think he can easily rise from the ashes to another level like Couturier etc ... but it's not looking good, at all

I seriously doubt the agent was the real issue here :D

(I doubt he was behind Patrick's health problems)

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think he can easily rise from the ashes to another level like Couturier etc ... but it's not looking good, at all

I seriously doubt the agent was the real issue here :D

(I doubt he was behind Patrick's health problems)
No one is blaming the agent for anything.

Clearly he and the agent disagreed on something important to Patrick, or the agent would still be representing him. Obviously none of us know exactly what that is, but if I were to guess it is related to how aggressive to be this offseason. My guess is one side wanted him to shop for offer sheets as a RFA with not having arbitration rights, the other wanted a more conservative approach.

romulus augustulus

Oct 3, 2019
Patrick really got screwed just taking the QO his last contract. He had 2 decent 3rd line quality seasons in his first 2 years and then was out the entire 3rd year. He at least deserved a raise based on that respectable production, even if he missed a year to injury. No reason he shouldn't have gotten a 1 or 2 year deal at $1.5 to $1.75/yr. Now he has a terrible season and zero leverage. His agent definitely deserved to get fired.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Patrick really got screwed just taking the QO his last contract. He had 2 decent 3rd line quality seasons in his first 2 years and then was out the entire 3rd year. He at least deserved a raise based on that respectable production, even if he missed a year to injury. No reason he shouldn't have gotten a 1 or 2 year deal at $1.5 to $1.75/yr. Now he has a terrible season and zero leverage. His agent definitely deserved to get fired.
Contracts aren't just negotiasted on hat a player as done in the past, but rather what is expected in the future and accepting a QO made sense with the uncertainty of his health.

romulus augustulus

Oct 3, 2019
Contracts aren't just negotiasted on hat a player as done in the past, but rather what is expected in the future and accepting a QO made sense with the uncertainty of his health.
Oskar Lindblom got 3 years, $3m/yr. Patrick didn’t deserve that but he should have gotten better than a QO.

Reactions: themelkman

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Oskar Lindblom got 3 years, $3m/yr. Patrick didn’t deserve that but he should have gotten better than a QO.
There is a big difference between the two though.

Playing hockey isn't going to cause Lindblom to get cancer again, playing hockey could easily cause Patrick's migraines to return. Lindblom was also done treatment and cleared to return to training when the Flyers re-signed him, Patrick wasn't and was still a huge question mark when his QO was accepted it was at the latest date possible. Meaning if he hadn't accepted it and never got cleared this season, he wouldn't have made any money at all.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
The plan with Patrick was always just play this year. He stuck horribly so that wasn’t good, but it was always just to play. Now he can train for the first time in years. To me he was always about 1-0.5 seconds too late. I think that improved at the very end of the year. It’s a gap but something that will make a big difference if he can train up to it. I see him as a 30-40 pt player next year and if that happens a 50 pt player after that. Good for a very a good 3C.

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown
Would Logan Brown (6'6" center, 11th overall in '16, great numbers in AHL but struggling with consistency and injuries) for Nolan Patrick make any sense? Two players who could use a change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad