Seravalli: Nolan Patrick hires new agent

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
I'm against it. That would be a middling-late 1st round pick and a massive injury/not a player risk as the add on.

If the Wings draft Clarke with their first pick I might be good with this. It won't be a late 1st. 15th at worst I think. Draft Svechkov and then try to grab Cossa with Washington's first.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
I wouldn't touch this guy because of the injury history but this is a smart move on his part. Its your career and these seasons are critical for the future.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
It's a figure of what the trade would be around. I'd say 1-for-1 if I said Nolan Patrick for Johnny Gaudreau.

But probably Gaudreau for Patrick, Frost, Ghost and 1st 2022.

So the Flyers are trading 2 1st rounders....and a #2 overall pick...and Ghost....for a potential rental?

Oh, and they trade 2 centers...when they need one....for a LW when they have Giroux, JVR, Laughton and Lindblom at LW?

That's a very poorly thought out deal.

Reactions: Don Nachbaur 26

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
So the Flyers are trading 2 1st rounders....and a #2 overall pick...and Ghost....for a potential rental?

Oh, and they trade 2 centers...when they need one....for a LW when they have Giroux, JVR, Laughton and Lindblom at LW?

That's a very poorly thought out deal.

No they'd be trading for a hometown star player they could potentially sign long-term.

Yakupov lost value too and he was a first overall pick.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
No they'd be trading for a hometown star player they could potentially sign long-term.

Yakupov lost value too and he was a first overall pick.
Sign long term instead of Giroux or Couturier?

Even ignore Patrick and Ghost...Gaudreau is not worth Frost+1st in a cap world where it also means we can't sign one of Giroux or Couts.

I would take Giroux for another 2-3 years+Frost+1st+Patrick+Ghost vs Gaudreau for 7 years

Last edited:

MorgantiDrinksBlood

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
As a Flyers fan, I see Patrick as a 3C ceiling type of guy, who could fill in at the 2C but could never be that on a Cup-winning team. He's not bad, he has hands, he clearly has some talent but he doesn't have the toolbox to put it all together. His quiet, reserved personality really translates to the way he plays on the ice, he's too relaxed and seems disconnected from the game far too often. Dunno just what I think, could become something more? Sure, but I highly, highly doubt it. I think he needs a change of scenery, the Flyers need to rebuild, they're a middle-of-the-pack team that has an aging core that couldn't get it done, so if management doesn't see him as a building block he could be on the move.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
As a Flyers fan, I see Patrick as a 3C ceiling type of guy, who could fill in at the 2C but could never be that on a Cup-winning team. He's not bad, he has hands, he clearly has some talent but he doesn't have the toolbox to put it all together. His quiet, reserved personality really translates to the way he plays on the ice, he's too relaxed and seems disconnected from the game far too often. Dunno just what I think, could become something more? Sure, but I highly, highly doubt it. I think he needs a change of scenery, the Flyers need to rebuild, they're a middle-of-the-pack team that has an aging core that couldn't get it done, so if management doesn't see him as a building block he could be on the move.
the Flyers did not hire AV, Therrien and Yeo....to rebuild(like it or not).

Fletch will make some moves this offseason, and likely lose those deals. They will be to win now moves...not rebuild ones.

Patrick doesn't need a change of scenery. He needs a healthy offseason to finally be able to train properly. And that's what he has in front of him. It will be up to him to take advantage of it.

Reactions: MorgantiDrinksBlood

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
the Flyers did not hire AV, Therrien and Yeo....to rebuild(like it or not).

Fletch will make some moves this offseason, and likely lose those deals. They will be to win now moves...not rebuild ones.

Patrick doesn't need a change of scenery. He needs a healthy offseason to finally be able to train properly. And that's what he has in front of him. It will be up to him to take advantage of it.
Actually what he needs is to go visit this guy

1*CcNby-0eT3A17ai9RHJnQQ.jpeg

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
If the Wings draft Clarke with their first pick I might be good with this. It won't be a late 1st. 15th at worst I think. Draft Svechkov and then try to grab Cossa with Washington's first.

Who will play on our blueline for 23+ minutes a night then? Seider is going to be a rookie and will not be ready for that workload even if he is good. All our other vet blueliners struggle with the current workload, adding more will turn that into a train wreck. There also isn't a lot of high minute UFA D this summer, with Martinez being one of the few.

To me for the Wings, the only way you trade Hronek is if you add at least one blueliner that is better than he is, and even then he wouldn't be high on my to trade list as we are ridiculously low in talent as is.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
HAHAHA

The Flyers wouldnt trade 13th overall straight up for Hronek. He's not very good. Both assets could be used in much smarter ways.

Imagine thinking Hronek isn't very good or that 13th in this draft is very good.

... Or that Patrick has much value at all, at this point.

Reactions: winger7020

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Agreed. You have to trust your scouts if you woukd rather the picks.

from the Flyers perspective, we woukd rather the pick and keep Patrick given we have Myers for the middle pair RHD. We need a legit top pair RHD.

And from the DRW side, they 100% should just keep Hronek and hope Seider develops into the #1 Dman they hoped for, which would slot Hronek to the 2nd pairing where he should be.

FWIW, I think the whole concept of Detroit floating Hronek on the market would be that Detroit drafts Brandt Clarke.

That being said, I think even if Detroit drafts Clarke, Yzerman ain't trading Hronek while Seider is a rookie and Clarke is not even in the league or close to it. He made it clear in the Mantha/Vrana trade that he still needs roster players to be competitive.

Max Bultman (DRW Athletic) also made an interesting point that if Detroit grabbed Clarke, Hronek could still potentially go to the left side, as he's suited for it with his one-timer anyways.

Reactions: Tripod

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Definitely the sort of thing i'd be kicking tires on for Vancouver. The idea of Patrick getting "a raise" doesn't really register as anything to me. The guy is making near enough, minimum salary, which he took as a "coming off a lost year" sort of "just get back on the ice" deal. It obviously didn't go to plan, but of course he's still going to be looking for a raise. Can really only go up from where he was at this year. The leverage isn't there to land anything more than a modest bump on the merits of what he did prior to this mess of a season, but that doesn't seem unreasonable to me - that's what anyone acquiring him would be envisioning he can be for them.

I'm not so convinced his health issues haven't taken a toll on his development that he might not recover from...but there's enough skill and potential there to take the swing on hoping he can get back on track with a change of scenery and not coming off a pretty much altogether lost season.

From a Canucks perspective...it's the sort of swing they kinda need to take. I'd probably be looking at him more as a guy you can try to plug in as a "filler" Top-6 Winger on a relatively cheap contract, and hope he can catch a spark and chip in there. As opposed to trying to rely on him as a #3C. Just think there's a better chance of getting something useful out of him by putting him in a position to succeed offensively, rather than trying to lean on him to anchor a line and shoulder a burden defensively as a pivot with lesser minutes. Less responsibility, with more opportunity sort of plan. And the Canucks could darn sure use someone like that if it works. But having some positional flexibility would be nice.

Reactions: Tripod

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
Imagine thinking Hronek isn't very good or that 13th in this draft is very good.

... Or that Patrick has much value at all, at this point.

which kind of leads you to think, those trade rumours are complete garbage, no? Hronek is not someone that would all of a sudden solve the issues at the backend for Philly. His stats are massively inflated due to playing high minutes on a non playoff contender. Why would the Flyers be compelled to trade Patrick while they own his rights, and before he’s even had a full offseason to train for the first time in over 2 years? His value can only go up, if he stays healthy, and it will.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
which kind of leads you to think, those trade rumours are complete garbage, no? Hronek is not someone that would all of a sudden solve the issues at the backend for Philly. His stats are massively inflated due to playing high minutes on a non playoff contender. Why would the Flyers be compelled to trade Patrick while they own his rights, and before he’s even had a full offseason to train for the first time in over 2 years? His value can only go up, if he stays healthy, and it will.

Imagine thinking that playing on one of the worst offensive teams in 25 years leads to, “Massively inflated stats.” :laugh:

Reactions: winger7020

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Imagine thinking that playing on one of the worst offensive teams in 25 years leads to, “Massively inflated stats.” :laugh:
I think what they mean is that he plays more minutes and especially PP minutes due to lack of other options. Whereas someone like Sanheim, can barely get PP time on the Flyers due to Provy and Ghost.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I think what they mean is that he plays more minutes and especially PP minutes due to lack of other options. Whereas someone like Sanheim, can barely get PP time on the Flyers due to Provy and Ghost.

I mean, realistically Hronek played 10 seconds more on the PP than Provy, a minute less 5 on 5, and still produced the same.

All I’m saying is the suggestion that Hronek isn’t good is laughable, and the idea that his stats are somehow inflated playing for DETROIT is even worse.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I mean, realistically Hronek played 10 seconds more on the PP than Provy, a minute less 5 on 5, and still produced the same.

All I’m saying is the suggestion that Hronek isn’t good is laughable, and the idea that his stats are somehow inflated playing for DETROIT is even worse.
agreed on those points.

But he does get those minutes in large part because he is on Detroit and there are a lack of other options. That can't be ignored if he was potentially being traded to the acquiring team. Just like Sanheim can't get the prime PP time.

And in this example, Philly, He very likely doesn't play on the PP, so to acquire him, and then not get those PP pts from him, would be a waste given the cost to trade for him.

Know what I mean?

In the end, as I said before, Detroit should 100% keep him and let Seider naturally become better than him at the NHL level and let Hronek slide into a much better suited 2nd pairing role. Same thing if they drafted B Clarke. Let him develop on the 3rd pairing and if/when he pushes Hronek to the 3rd pairing...THEN you look to possibly move him. So that move is likely years away...not this summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad