Speculation: Noah Juulsen on waivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The guy I quoted was laughing that Juulsen use to be in trade proposals as a valuable piece and now we are talking about waiving him. I pointed out the reason is his career has been derailed by concussions and its not particularly funny. Not sure how any of that was hard to follow.

Do you see people laughing in the Nolan Patrick thread about how Philly hasn't gotten any production out of a 2nd overall pick? Why do you think that is?
Off topic...but it's hard to believe that Patrick is #5 from that draft in career points despite all the issues he has had.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I feel like his chances of getting claim are about 30%. I don't see how Mete, Juulsen and Fleury are on the team next season anyway, all 6th/7th D, wouldn't be a big lost. Even if you trade Kulak, MTL has 5 others D that are already lock (Weber, Petry, Edmundson, Chiarot, Romanov). While his chance of becoming an NHL regular are decent, I don't think he could develop into something you really end up regretting if he gets claimed.

Maybe. Maybe not,

He still has a decent potential as a top 4...but just as decent potential as perennial 7th and 8th.

I prefer him over Mete because even though is ahead of him, he's also a question mark as a top 4. With better size.

Thankfully we have a line-up of prospects.....

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
50/50 he clears. a team weak on D could probably use him as a #7-8 and hope he can play himself onto the bottom pair

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I'm pretty certain he'll get claimed, zero reason not to for a rebuilding team. Best case you have a young defenseman with top 4 upside, worst case you throw him back on waivers. Whatever bottom pairing journeyman that is currently on the team will be fine sitting out a few games. Teams love former 1st rounders.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm pretty certain he'll get claimed, zero reason not to for a rebuilding team. Best case you have a young defenseman with top 4 upside, worst case you throw him back on waivers. Whatever bottom pairing journeyman that is currently on the team will be fine sitting out a few games. Teams love former 1st rounders.

Two issues at play...

1) Covid flat cap and most teams can't add any salary at all without sending someone down to the AHL that they might have to put on waivers. There are only a few teams that can fit him in without risking another asset of their own. So who's looking for a RD and also has a roster spot open where they can slide him the NHL? Juulsen has to play games vs sit and be a depth piece.

2) Eye Injury which caused serious issues and he has not played much over the last 2 years. He only appears to be healthy at this point but we thought that last year too.

I say there is a 25% chance he might get claimed. Here is another question... who has a higher chance to get claimed? Mete or Juulsen?

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I would think that Mete would be much more likely to be claimed. There are still a lot of questions regarding Juulsen's health, while Mete is a known commodity.

Fair. It's an interesting conversation cause one of them is going on waivers and it's probably Juulsen. Taking him on waivers when he had injury issues over the last two years? I don't see it but it's possible. If someone takes him on waivers with NHL depth plans for him, that's not good for Juulsen. He needs to play games so if he is not playing on the NHL roster, he should be in the AHL. You can't claim him for the AHL though so I wonder about what team has room for him in the NHL? Seems like a reach

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
I feel like his chances of getting claim are about 30%. I don't see how Mete, Juulsen and Fleury are on the team next season anyway, all 6th/7th D, wouldn't be a big lost. Even if you trade Kulak, MTL has 5 others D that are already lock (Weber, Petry, Edmundson, Chiarot, Romanov). While his chance of becoming an NHL regular are decent, I don't think he could develop into something you really end up regretting if he gets claimed.
This is spot on

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
No one will claim Juulsen. Every team has a Juulsen equivalent prospect in their own system who they would try before claiming a guy who has not played much at all over the last two seasons.

Reactions: Altimus

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Would disagree with waiving him, Habs have no right shot D after Weber/Petry. I'd waive Kulak before him TBH.

According to Gagnon, Fleury is higher than Juulsen on the depth chart for RHDs. He thinks a team like Winnipeg should claim him if Juulsen is put on waivers. Also thinks Fleury is still more likely to play in Laval given his waiver-exempt status.

De tous les joueurs qui devront été soumis au ballottage par le Canadien, je crois que Juulsen est le seul qui pourrait vraiment intéresser une autre équipe de la LNH. Les Jets de Winnipeg et leur défensive remplie de brèches devraient sauter sur lui s’il est disponible.

Cale Fleury devance toujours Juulsen selon mes observations. Mais comme il n’a pas à franchir le ballottage avant d’être retourné dans les mineures, ça pourrait lui jouer des tours cette année avec le CH en raison des nombreux aller-retour qui seront multipliés pour respecter le plafond salarial.

Reactions: FedorTyutin

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
According to Gagnon, Fleury is higher than Juulsen on the depth chart for RHDs. He thinks a team like Winnipeg should claim him if Juulsen is put on waivers. Also thinks Fleury is still more likely to play in Laval given his waiver-exempt status.

De tous les joueurs qui devront été soumis au ballottage par le Canadien, je crois que Juulsen est le seul qui pourrait vraiment intéresser une autre équipe de la LNH. Les Jets de Winnipeg et leur défensive remplie de brèches devraient sauter sur lui s’il est disponible.

Cale Fleury devance toujours Juulsen selon mes observations. Mais comme il n’a pas à franchir le ballottage avant d’être retourné dans les mineures, ça pourrait lui jouer des tours cette année avec le CH en raison des nombreux aller-retour qui seront multipliés pour respecter le plafond salarial.
Makes no sense to lose Juulsen if Fleury is waiver exempt. Unless of course Fluey has improved so much...or Juulsen lays eggs.

Reactions: montreal

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Juulsen has played 0 nhl games and 13 ahl games the last 2 years (730+ days)

I cant see a team claiming him and have him play in the nhl when he has barely played any hockey games the last 2 years.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015

I cant see a team claiming him and have him play in the nhl when he has barely played any hockey games the last 2 years.
Exactly, even if he might still have decent NHL potential in the eyes of a rebuilding team, his health is a major concern. There should be plenty of better options on waivers for these teams anyway. I might be wrong but I'd be very surprise to see him picked up.
The real question is : will Bergevin waive Byron? If so, will he get picked?
Bad move for the room and on the ice, but good move salary cap wise for the habs.

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
Would disagree with waiving him, Habs have no right shot D after Weber/Petry. I'd waive Kulak before him TBH.
But then we lose Kulak which is starting to look real good. Mobile and fast, he's showing better decision making and defensive reliability... Defensemen development takes time and he's gaining maturity and consistency. I'm starting to like Kulak on a 3rd pair or 7th D... I like Mete but size is an issue... if we could send Mete down and not lose him, i'd do that instead but the kid has value and i'd really think we'd regret losing him. Kulak/Mete could swap on the third and I'd be good with that. We'll see what happens with Seattle...

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
You might want to review the 2015 draft as the first two taken have over 350 games played and Juulsen is stuck at 23 games.
Irrelevant comment. He was taken 26th - obviously not expected to be a 1st line player and he is a defenseman. The first 2 guys better be stars in the NHL or their teams goofed. There are several other players taken ahead of him - 2 wastes by Boston for example - who will never be anything. He could still be something if he can stay healthy.

Reactions: FedorTyutin

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site

Djoos was just picked by a team early in the waiver wire priority. There’s probably more than one team that put in a claim on Djoos. Tells me there’s a decent chance a team might take a chance on Juulsen if he’s put on waivers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad