Player Discussion Noah Hanifin

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I'd been in favour of using him to get that elusive scoring piece but it would make more sense to keep him at this point. But I wouldn't hesitate to move him if we found an upgrade first in that 26-28 age range. Hanifin feels like an uber-late bloomer

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Personally, I think the guys closer to Tyler Myers, than he is a star, but there's a lot of people around here that like to cheer for the underdogs. I'd do a Hanifin + Bennett for DeBrusk + Vaakanainen deal, in a heartbeat.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
He's alright but nothing special. Offense has all but evaporated this year and he's been good in his own zone but not spectacular either. He still has the draft stuff around him and I guess he is big, but I haven't been wowed by him in Calgary tbh.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
With Gio falling off a cliff people want to move Hanifin when he's probably been our most improved player this season? If we want to make a move for scoring help, trade Monahan+.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
With Gio falling off a cliff people want to move Hanifin when he's probably been our most improved player this season? If we want to make a move for scoring help, trade Monahan+.
How has he been improved? He's on pace for 12 points over 82 games. His defensive improvements are Tanev. Just look at the difference in Hughes this year, compared to last. If you're moving out underachievers, he's 100% on the list

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Count me as one of the ones who think Hanifin has been pretty stagnant in development this year. Still like him, but I don’t think he’s untouchable by any means. Just haven’t seen the strides necessary for me to value him super highly. On pace for a career low in points (yes I know we’re currently offensively inept in general). Having a good year defensively, but the tools have yet to come together.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
How has he been improved? He's on pace for 12 points over 82 games. His defensive improvements are Tanev. Just look at the difference in Hughes this year, compared to last. If you're moving out underachievers, he's 100% on the list

He's looked a lot more confident in all 3 zones since the season started, listen he's probably never gonna live up to his draft hype, but moving out a cost controlled young defence man in a position of need (again, with Gio on the decline, who's not getting any younger). Our defence looks a lot thinner without Hanifin there, unless we a get a comparable top 4 defensemen included in the trade.

Also, our offence has been underwhelming 5v5 (Flames are 16th in the NHL in GF in 5v5). Hanifin gets zero PP time, so I wouldn't read into his point totals too much.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
He can eat up the minutes effectively. Top 4 D, skates well, good size. I'd say keep him around.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
If you can get Debrusk in a Trade for Hanifin you should do it

I disagree. I don’t think DeBrusk is anything special. He’s a 45pt player. Hanifin should be able to get 30-35pts a season and he’s a good guy to have on your backend.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad