Player Discussion Noah Hanifin

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Reading the general comments in here Hanifin has great value around the league and I agree
That’s the reason the Flames should use him in a trade to help in another area of need

What area of need?
We getting a top line centre for Hanifin?

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Interesting stat. There are only 6 defensemen in the entire NHL that get more EV TOI/GP and less SH TOI/GP, than Hanifin.

Jakob Chychrun
Torey Krug
Morgan Rielly
Shea Theodore
Thomas Chabot
Mike Matheson

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Give Valimaki or Kylington those 20 minutes opposite Tanev, they will make us forget Hanifin ever existed. We might even play watchable hockey again.
2000% this. Valimaki has a partner that is 50x worse, is already being given more PK responsibility than Hanifin has over the past 3 years, and is somehow much more productive offensively despite WAY less TOI and 375 less NHL games. Not to mention Kylington or Mackey would could provide close to Hanifin’s (5v5 only) value at 1/5th of the cost while giving us a valuable trade chip.

badi

Jan 21, 2008
2000% this. Valimaki has a partner that is 50x worse, is already being given more PK responsibility than Hanifin has over the past 3 years, and is somehow much more productive offensively despite WAY less TOI and 375 less NHL games. Not to mention Kylington or Mackey would could provide close to Hanifin’s (5v5 only) value at 1/5th of the cost while giving us a valuable trade chip.
Exactly
Its not a knock on Hanifin but he could blossom elsewhere given some PP minutes and pk time
Given his usage in Calgary he is obviously expendable

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Give Valimaki or Kylington those 20 minutes opposite Tanev, they will make us forget Hanifin ever existed. We might even play watchable hockey again.

Once I see either guy ready for that, sure. What I’ve seen from both guys is bottom pair defending.

It doesn’t matter how much you scream it from the rooftops, you go full Oilers when you move unprepared defencemen into top pair roles.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
lol hanifin has never been and will never be "prepared" for any kind of top pair roles, that sure didn't stop anybody from playing him there
I think he could play top pairing but it would have to be an ideal situation, with a much better partner. He would probably look alright with McAvoy. Anyone thats hangs out mostly in reality and has watched him a significant amount of time, knows his numbers are a smoke show, largely in part to Tanev. The fact that the organization won't even give him a sniff of PK time, is pretty telling about how they really feel about his defensive capabilities. He has good size and skates well, which makes him a prime candidate to defend against the rush but under sustained pressure they want no part of him. I have no problem believing that Valimaki could slide in next to Tanev and eat up those minutes. He was more defensively aware than Hanifin before he was even drafted. Of course it is all together possible that they want Valimaki to grow his offensive game before playing tougher matchups but I think he actually has the mental capacity to walk and chew gum at the same time.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Once I see either guy ready for that, sure. What I’ve seen from both guys is bottom pair defending.

It doesn’t matter how much you scream it from the rooftops, you go full Oilers when you move unprepared defencemen into top pair roles.

Like the flames were preparing to do with Andersson until kadri didn’t waive his movement clause?

Mkay then.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Like the flames were preparing to do with Andersson until kadri didn’t waive his movement clause?

Mkay then.
What point are you trying to make? Andersson would be in over his head as he is now, but that doesn't make it a good thing or something being advocated. Giordano - Andersson was a good pairing when utilized last season anyways, it wouldve been more swallowable than what happened this year where we don't have Brodie either way. Instead we would have a forward spot used on a talented centre and have much more flexibility down the middle.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
lol hanifin has never been and will never be "prepared" for any kind of top pair roles, that sure didn't stop anybody from playing him there

This!

He was a clear bottom pair defenseman in Carolina, we trade for him and suddenly he gets elevated because that's what Tre wants.

He has a horrible season last year, only rescued by an injury to Hamonic where Andersson could carry him, and now he gets to play with Tanev.

He's never been a dominant player in any role, but keeps getting elevated because he's big and skates a little well.

Hanifin - Tanev isn't even a great pair, our record is evidence of that.

You can talk about going full Oilers.... but our team is worse than the Oilers right now with Hanifin getting spoonfed all the minutes so what does that even mean.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
This!

He was a clear bottom pair defenseman in Carolina, we trade for him and suddenly he gets elevated because that's what Tre wants.

He has a horrible season last year, only rescued by an injury to Hamonic where Andersson could carry him, and now he gets to play with Tanev.

He's never been a dominant player in any role, but keeps getting elevated because he's big and skates a little well.

Hanifin - Tanev isn't even a great pair, our record is evidence of that.

You can talk about going full Oilers.... but our team is worse than the Oilers right now with Hanifin getting spoonfed all the minutes so what does that even mean.

For a guy that likes to cherry pick stats, how come there’s nothing of substance in this post regarding how bad Hanifin?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Mkay then.

And how are we doing this year with Gio/Ras as our ‘top pair’

you literally just proved my point rather than proving your own.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Hanifin is fine, not great but not bad either. I wound like to see him away from Tanev, Tanev should be paired with our most offensive defenseman because he can help cover up mistakes. I'd like to see Ras with Hanifin and Tanev with Gio or Vali

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Hanifin is fine, not great but not bad either. I wound like to see him away from Tanev, Tanev should be paired with our most offensive defenseman because he can help cover up mistakes. I'd like to see Ras with Hanifin and Tanev with Gio or Vali
Has it ever occurred to you that this is exactly what they were hoping for? Hanifin had been our most offensive defenseman, outside of an aging Gio. I feel the organization was looking for his offense to take the next step, with added defensive support, in Tanev. I have a hard time believing that there isn't severe disappointment in his season, throughout the organization. He was rumored to be offered at the deadline and available in the offseason.....I highly doubt that has changed.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Has it ever occurred to you that this is exactly what they were hoping for? Hanifin had been our most offensive defenseman, outside of an aging Gio. I feel the organization was looking for his offense to take the next step, with added defensive support, in Tanev. I have a hard time believing that there isn't severe disappointment in his season, throughout the organization. He was rumored to be offered at the deadline and available in the offseason.....I highly doubt that has changed.

Yes it has occurred to me but it has failed put tanev with gio if you want to try and getting gio going or put him with vali to try and help him take the next step

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad