Player Discussion Noah Hanifin

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Basically the same as last year but that doesn’t change the fact that Markstrom is an upgrade this year over what Talbot did last year. Talbot wasn't able to steal periods or games like markstrom has.
I don't know, when Talbot is on, he's pretty good. The problem is, can you trust him to be on consistently. I know I feel a lot more comfortable with Markstrom in net and I'm sure the players do too.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I don't know, when Talbot is on, he's pretty good. The problem is, can you trust him to be on consistently. I know I feel a lot more comfortable with Markstrom in net and I'm sure the players do too.

Yea that's what I was getting at, Talbot can be great or meh. With Markstrom he always seems to be on his game which makes a big difference in goals allowed by any defense pairing

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
This. Right now I'd feel more comfortable with Talbot as a backup that BSD.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Tanev has been incredible. But Hanifin absolutely deserves credit for the way he played. He’s realized that he’s bigger and faster than everyone and that he doesn’t need to get the puck back on every play. He just needs to stay with his guy and maintain his gap and beat his player to the most dangerous places on the ice. Hanifin has always needed to simplify his game to become a top pair guy, and he has done that.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I do wonder what Hanifin without Tanev would look like. Obviously I think Tanev is awesome but just any of our top 4 would be a massive upgrade on Hamonic.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Tanev has been incredible. But Hanifin absolutely deserves credit for the way he played. He’s realized that he’s bigger and faster than everyone and that he doesn’t need to get the puck back on every play. He just needs to stay with his guy and maintain his gap and beat his player to the most dangerous places on the ice. Hanifin has always needed to simplify his game to become a top pair guy, and he has done that.

This.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
So in other words; Hanifin is what everyone thinks Bennett is?

Mostly joking but going from a poor partner in Hamonic and relied on for breakouts and the "feeling like he needs to get the puck back on every play" sounds like the reasons people have said Bennett has struggled and I think that's kinda funny that all along it was the 'dumb' Hanifin who would be nothing more than a 4D

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I do wonder what Hanifin without Tanev would look like. Obviously I think Tanev is awesome but just any of our top 4 would be a massive upgrade on Hamonic.

Depends on who the other guy is.
Hanifin - Andersson was lights out for most of the playoffs too.

Essentially, as a Flame, minus Hamonic falling off a cliff in year two, he’s been a really solid player for Calgary. That growth in his first year was great. This year he’s taken a big step. Playing with Tanev is a Godsend.

People like to act like Karlsson didn’t play the best hockey in his life plugged in beside a defence first meat-and-potato guy. Nick Lidstrom, arguably one of the greatest all-time defender, had a 60 point rookie season playing with Brad McCrimmon.

These high skill, good skating players guys don’t need another skill guy beside them; they need a defensive guy who’s not a boat anchor.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
So in other words; Hanifin is what everyone thinks Bennett is?

Mostly joking but going from a poor partner in Hamonic and relied on for breakouts and the "feeling like he needs to get the puck back on every play" sounds like the reasons people have said Bennett has struggled and I think that's kinda funny that all along it was the 'dumb' Hanifin who would be nothing more than a 4D

Hockey stan logic 101:
Player I like isn’t better because he’s not put in a position to succeed.
Player I dislike is bad even though he’s not not in a position to succeed.

2019-onward Hamonic is like Bennett only playing with Nordstrom and Rinaldo.

Reactions: Mazatt

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Depends on who the other guy is.
Hanifin - Andersson was lights out for most of the playoffs too.

Essentially, as a Flame, minus Hamonic falling off a cliff in year two, he’s been a really solid player for Calgary. That growth in his first year was great. This year he’s taken a big step. Playing with Tanev is a Godsend.

People like to act like Karlsson didn’t play the best hockey in his life plugged in beside a defence first meat-and-potato guy. Nick Lidstrom, arguably one of the greatest all-time defender, had a 60 point rookie season playing with Brad McCrimmon.

These high skill, good skating players guys don’t need another skill guy beside them; they need a defensive guy who’s not a boat anchor.

I was specifically thinking of Hanifin - Andersson it would let us try to have Tanev play with Valimaki.

Reactions: NinjaTurtle

badi

Jan 21, 2008
Seems strange that he does not get any PP Time and barely any Pk ice Time and still ends up at around 20 minutes a night....

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Seems strange that he does not get any PP Time and barely any Pk ice Time and still ends up at around 20 minutes a night....

I would like to see him get some PP time. He walks the line very well. He does make the odd big mistake so could expect a shorty or two when he's out there.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
He should 100% get PP time. If I had to guess, the coaches are probably not wanting to wear him out. He is still young and logging the most important 5-on-5 minutes of his career against the hardest competition he has faced. I think as he keeps developing, this will be added onto this workload and he will be a true #1 on our team.

badi

Jan 21, 2008
From an outside view Hanifin should be the defenseman traded in order to get some scoring depth

He still has good value and
Other teams may see the upside he would have playing on there PP or PK

With the Flames he is not needed for that .

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Thing is, we can’t trade a D without significantly hurting our group. If you move Hanifin you’re expecting 1) Valimaki to regularly play top 4 and 2) Nesterov/Mackey bring regulars in the lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad