Player Discussion Noah Hanifin

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Not the past few games, couple goals against that were largely on Hanifin.
He's young. Young players make mistakes. Hell old players make mistakes. At age 21 Gio probably made more than the occasional mistake. Gio still makes mistakes. Thats what hockey is... a game of mistakes and the team that usually wins is the team that can capitalize on those mistakes more often than the other team.

Hanifin, with 2 or 3 more years under his belt will be a defensive stud for the Flames.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

If we look at it over the year, for sure though.
Can't complain about a pairing that gets some tough matchups, is really great... Hanifin is quietly having a career season :laugh:
Toughest matchups of his career, more than 2 minutes extra ice-time per night, less sheltering, will easily break his point totals.

The dude's rounding out for sure. That doesn't even account for how much of a Stud Hammer's been for us this year.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

The goal last night was mostly on Monahan, IMO. Sure Hanifin could have received the pass, but Mony threw a blind pass right at Hanifin’s skates and he wasn’t able to handle it. The rest was a botched play. I don’t fully blame Monahan either, it was a flukey play, but I don’t feel like Hanifin deserves to shoulder that one.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Can we take a moment to appreciate how good he has been this year? He's been one of our top three players along with Markstrom and Tanev.

The way he played on the PP last night was exciting to watch. I hope he gets a larger role in that regard. A D that could walk the line like Noah can could be game changing. 5 on 5 he has been suffocating. Almost nothing gets by him and Tanev so they very rarely defend. It has been fun to watch his evolution into the player that was picked 5th overall.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Can we take a moment to appreciate how good he has been this year? He's been one of our top three players along with Markstrom and Tanev.

The way he played on the PP last night was exciting to watch. I hope he gets a larger role in that regard. A D that could walk the line like Noah can could be game changing. 5 on 5 he has been suffocating. Almost nothing gets by him and Tanev so they very rarely defend. It has been fun to watch his evolution into the player that was picked 5th overall.
He's been good but nothing remotely close to what you're trying to make it out to be. In a large part, I think its more about Tanev than it is Hanifin. The security and confidence he gives young players is undeniable.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Putting him on PP2 is a must happen. No way Gio should consistently lead our D in minutes anymore.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
He's been good but nothing remotely close to what you're trying to make it out to be. In a large part, I think its more about Tanev than it is Hanifin. The security and confidence he gives young players is undeniable.
I think it's hard to separate them. Tanev has an impact but tbh not playing with the blackhole that is Hamonic is a massive upgrade for Hanifin and he is playing a standalone excellent game. I think Hanifin's offensive game might be improving due to Tanev giving him extra leeway to jump into the rush but he just seems a lot better than in the past.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
I think it's hard to separate them. Tanev has an impact but tbh not playing with the blackhole that is Hamonic is a massive upgrade for Hanifin and he is playing a standalone excellent game. I think Hanifin's offensive game might be improving due to Tanev giving him extra leeway to jump into the rush but he just seems a lot better than in the past.

Hanifin also made it a point to be more offensively involved this year, in an interview he had before the season he said he was going to show his offensive skills more (or something to that effect). I think that’s what we’re seeing, he’s a lot more confident in all three zones.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
At least they are gelling esrly and look to be a very strong pairing. Hell, look at how much Tanev is activating up in the play, or carrying up past the center red line and making passes to teammates! Chris Tanev "of old", aka Canucks era would 90% of yhe time look for the long stretch pass out of his , zone dump pucks in deep for forwards to chase down. There is a new surge in Tanev's game, jumping up on loose pucks in our zone and rushing it up to start viable offensive plays. Hanifin's play, positioning, and showing capability and maturity in clearing bodies out of our net-front and scoring zones, is giving Tanev confidence to activate. They are a great pairing so far.
A positive for growth in the Flames as a team, irregardless of fans expectations for how many points Hanifin should be getting or scoring on his own.
Chris Tanev is showing a huge improvement in Travis Hamonic's previous 2 seasons as a Flame. Yes, they both play a very similar style and have shown similar skills, play style. So far so good that Tanev is being durable and he is improving his play every couple games. Not like with the Hammer you would get glimpses of a great game every now and then, but then would digress quickly to mere tough guy in our zone, shot blocker, clears pucks away and then disappear for a few games.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Pretty stark contrast. I wonder how many here still wish TJ was playing for the Flames instead of Tanev?

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The Leafs also have a much stronger group surrounding Brodie
On defense? That's extremely debateable. They have a better forward group but they've been eeking out a lot of 1-goal wins.

If anything, this season should forever dispel the myth that Brodie needed Gio to play well. He'd look really good on our top pairing right now with Andersson

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
On defense? That's extremely debateable. They have a better forward group but they've been eeking out a lot of 1-goal wins.

If anything, this season should forever dispel the myth that Brodie needed Gio to play well. He'd look really good on our top pairing right now with Andersson
I don't know how many more wins they get or lose if you swap Tanev and Brodie between the teams. I'd wager that the much better forward core of the Leafs and Andersen/Campbell being good (outside a few Andersen games) would have more to do with it, + Holl is really coming into his own. Their defense is looking solid but that isn't the point.

I'd look at it this way. The Leafs were already a top team before Brodie and he is just improving them without being a direct cause to their success. Would Marner not have had an 11 game point streak or something without him? Would their power play success change without Brodie? Who knows, but looking at the teams records with and without Brodie does not tell alot about the success of Brodie since there are 17 other skaters every game that contribute to those wins.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010

I don't think trading up from old Gio to a younger, arguably better version of Gio, dispels anything lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad