Player Discussion: Noah Dobson

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Am I the only one that wouldn't mind seeing Dobson get a few days off rather than going to the all-star game? I mean, I'll complain but be secretly happy.

Was thinking the same thing. The kid has shouldered a heavy burden, the extra rest is better for him.

I have no problems with Islanders players not getting chosen for All-Star Games/international competition. Both are meaningless to me and I'd prefer the players rest and not get injured.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Reactions: Konk and PWJunior

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
So... what do we think his next contract looks like? Assuming he keeps this pace for the rest of the season and the next.

For comparison, After 2 ppg-ish seasons, Makar got 9x6 in what was considered a team friendly deal at a lower cap ceiling. Hughes got about 8M/6 after the same. I believe both of those contracts were given as RFAs at a younger age so that they'll be able to sign again around age 28 with a higher cap - Dobson will be 25 when this deal kicks in so we likely don't have that luxury. Dahlin with 11 per last year after one almost PPG season. Roy currently has Dobson playing about 28 minutes a game which is also a factor here. Are we looking at 10.5 per here? More? A number like that would almost definitely mean we cannot re-sign Nelson, which is something I hope Lou is thinking about.

Reactions: saintunspecified

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
So... what do we think his next contract looks like? Assuming he keeps this pace for the rest of the season and the next.

For comparison, After 2 ppg-ish seasons, Makar got 9x6 in what was considered a team friendly deal at a lower cap ceiling. Hughes got about 8M/6 after the same. I believe both of those contracts were given as RFAs at a younger age so that they'll be able to sign again around age 28 with a higher cap - Dobson will be 25 when this deal kicks in so we likely don't have that luxury. Dahlin with 11 per last year after one almost PPG season. Roy currently has Dobson playing about 28 minutes a game which is also a factor here. Are we looking at 10.5 per here? More? A number like that would almost definitely mean we cannot re-sign Nelson, which is something I hope Lou is thinking about.
9 Years / $6 million works for me! Too bad it's not an option.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
#3 defenseman which is honestly probably correct.

No arguments here.

When is the last time the Isles had a top 3 defenseman in the NHL?

We all know the answer to that question. But seriously, how lucky are we to get to watch him play? At the same time, how unlucky are we to watch him play... on this team!

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
1706965244002.png

Saw this and thought it was interesting.

Reactions: Potvottier and Konk

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Dahlin with 11 per last year after one almost PPG season. Roy currently has Dobson playing about 28 minutes a game which is also a factor here. Are we looking at 10.5 per here? More? A number like that would almost definitely mean we cannot re-sign Nelson, which is something I hope Lou is thinking about.
I think 11M is where I'd set the over-under with 10.5 being 'in the range'. Unfortunately for both Dobson and NYI there was more uncertainty about what Dobson would bein June of '22 than there was when Makar signed his deal. Whatever it will be, they must get it done.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Age-comparable RHD contracts:
McAvoy $9.5M AAV x8 years
Fox $9.5M AAV x7 years
Makar $9.0M AAV x6 years

My guess is that they try to keep Dobson under $10M.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Fox $9.5M AAV x7 years
Makar $9.0M AAV x6 years

Barzal will not be topped in salary

$7-9M x 8 years with a bit of a scaling . . . $7M to start for 2 years . . $8M for a few, then $9M

Lou sells it as "you're my 2 studs"

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Barzal will not be topped in salary

$7-9M x 8 years with a bit of a scaling . . . $7M to start for 2 years . . $8M for a few, then $9M

Lou sells it as "you're my 2 studs"
I tend to agree about not topping Barzal, but I don't think he'll be lower either. Maybe the same AAV.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Remember when half of yall wanted to trade him for a bag of chips?

I'll never forget when I got my wife an authentic Dobson jersey at NVMC. Dude behind me on the line said "ouch, that kid is going to be traded within a year". I turned around and called him a f***ing idiot.

I like to imagine he posts here.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Remember when half of yall wanted to trade him for a bag of chips?

I'll never forget when I got my wife an authentic Dobson jersey at NVMC. Dude behind me on the line said "ouch, that kid is going to be traded within a year". I turned around and called him a f***ing idiot.

I like to imagine he posts here.
No, I saw this on Twitter but can’t remember it.

For example, when Duchene became available I remember Barzy being used as trade bait. I don’t remember a scenario for Dobber

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Fox $9.5M AAV x7 years
Makar $9.0M AAV x6 years

To be fair, those were all 11%-12% of the cap when signed. If the cap is 92M as projected, 12% would be 11M. I think 11x8 is a reasonable expectation if he finishes the year the way he started it. There’s also precedent there with the more recent contract of Dahlin

Reactions: Konk

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
No, I saw this on Twitter but can’t remember it.

For example, when Duchene became available I remember Barzy being used as trade bait. I don’t remember a scenario for Dobber

Colorado traded him before we drafted Dobson(nov 2017). And no way would we have traded Barzal for Duchene when the Senators traded him(as unlikely it was we would make Barzal a part of the package for Duchene)

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Colorado traded him before we drafted Dobson(nov 2017). And no way would we have traded Barzal for Duchene when the Senators traded him(as unlikely it was we would make Barzal a part of the package for Duchene)

I didn't mean Dobson for Duchene, I meant Dobson in any trade talk. I don't remember any Islander fan using him as trade bait. But see below about Barzy

Colorado fans demanded Barzal on these boards, but it was never going to happen in reality.
Truth. Colorado got a hell of a return for Duchene but I think the idea was the pressure on Isles at the time because of impending Tavares departure..

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
I didn't mean Dobson for Duchene, I meant Dobson in any trade talk. I don't remember any Islander fan using him as trade bait. But see below about Barzy

Truth. Colorado got a hell of a return for Duchene but I think the idea was the pressure on Isles at the time because of impending Tavares departure..

No one thought JT was leaving though. Only JT knew of his impending betrayal.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
No one thought JT was leaving though. Only JT knew of his impending betrayal.
There was a few posters here who wanted to trade Tavares if he didn’t sign an extension. I was one of them and got destroyed by a lot of people here for even suggesting to trade Tavares. I didn’t know he was leaving but I was not surprised as many here were. In hindsight it turned out better for the islanders that he left. Tavares skating always held him back from being an elite player.

I was always a big fan of Dobson watching him
In Juniors. Compared him to Jonson. Now I don’t think he will ever be as good as Kenny defensively but offensively he has already surpassed him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad