Player Discussion: Noah Dobson

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Bo knows

IMG_4647.jpeg

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Worse. There's no chance of any Royals getting in on the fan vote lol.
I friggin' HATE the idea that it determines the extra home game in the world series. So glad the NHL all star game doesn't "matter". I really like how it's become so ridiculously unlike an actual game, and don't really care much else besides the entertainment value.

Reactions: MJF

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

The worst part about this is if the voting results remain the same we will have 44 players with only 3 of them being defensemen(I am guessing the NHL will find a way to sneak a couple more defense in as injury replacement)

Last edited:
Reactions: TJHKY

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Seriously, when Wally was drafted at #11, I started to sweat a little. No way they were going to pass on Dobson, especially Lou a D man guy.

I would love to know why the Isles did not pick him at #11, may have been some strategy there. The guy was going top 5 to some. Would be interesting to know what the scouts and Lou's strategy was there.

Reactions: WangMustGo

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Seriously, when Wally was drafted at #11, I started to sweat a little. No way they were going to pass on Dobson, especially Lou a D man guy.

I would love to know why the Isles did not pick him at #11, may have been some strategy there. The guy was going top 5 to some. Would be interesting to know what the scouts and Lou's strategy was there.

I could be wrong here but my suspicion has always been if Islander had 1 pick they would have went with Dobson, but for marketing purposes they went with the offensive goal scoring American winger first

Reactions: PWJunior

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
usually I don’t find +/- to be an important stat, players on a team are generally pretty close to one another. However Dobson is a +17 on a team that has a -11 goal differential. He is leading the team by a wide margin (next closest being Romanov at a +10).

This kid is the reason the isles are where they are. Without Dobson this team likely is sitting in the bottom 5-6 in the east. He has blossomed into one of the best defenseman in the league, at this point there is only a handful of players I would trade him for, and that handful is getting smaller by the day.

TMI

Dec 15, 2019

This. Was having exactly this discussion with a buddy at work today. What Dobson does and has meant to this team should have him in the lead for the Norris if it hadn't become an award for the Dman who posts the most points. He's a freaking +17 on a team that's -11!!! All the other favorites are bigger pluses, but on teams that have a much higher plus than the player. He deserves not only the Norris (as of right now) but also serious consideration for the Hart. Whaaaaat??? Yeah, he's done all this WITH 3 OF THE TEAM'S TOP 4 D OUT FOR MUCH OF THE SEASON!!! If that's not MVP type stuff I don't know what is.

The sad part? He won't win either. And that's a crime.

Edit: Also, was stuck watching the TSN broadcast last night (they seemed very Leafs oriented, for some reason), it was horrible. But they DID have a lot of good things to say about Dobson, even before he went beast mode with his 2nd, 3rd and 4th assists. One thing I didn't realize, there are only TWO players in the entire league that have been on the ice for a higher percentage of their team's goals - Kucherov and someone else. No dmen.. Not +/- which doesn't factor in power plays, but overall goals. The guy's having one HELL of a season..

Last edited:

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
This. Was having exactly this discussion with a buddy at work today. What Dobson does and has meant to this team should have him in the lead for the Norris if it hadn't become an award for the Dman who posts the most points. He's a freaking +17 on a team that's -11!!! All the other favorites are bigger pluses, but on teams that have a much higher plus than the player. He deserves not only the Norris (as of right now) but also serious consideration for the Hart. Whaaaaat??? Yeah, he's done all this WITH 3 OF THE TEAM'S TOP 4 D OUT FOR MUCH OF THE SEASON!!! If that's not MVP type stuff I don't know what is.

The sad part? He won't win either. And that's a crime.

No one outside of Isles fans truly appreciate what Dobson has done this season. Barzal is the face of the franchise and he has his legit BFF in Horvat to enhance his game to the next level on the national stage, but WE KNOW Dobson is the true backbone of this team that has kept the team afloat when they needed him to be Herculean for a prolonged stretch of the season. He is certainly not perfect and has areas to improve, but he has been forced to be a Norris level #1D and has stepped up to the challenge. Romanov has also stepped up his game to his next level too, but I think Dobson's emergence helped unlock aspects of Romo's game to a degree... that snipe against Toronto was beautiful and Romo has scored some big goals this year.

Dobson is now 200 pounds, if he can add another 10-15 pounds at his peak... he could be an even bigger monster than he is now. I think it's clear Dobson is a legitimate #1D in the NHL ranks, but I think there is a legitimate argument that Dobson has entered the franchise defenseman realm of existence. My only gripe is that he needs to get bigger/stronger and that's something that should take care of itself in time, but this is the type of defenseman that you could build a whole unit around on a Championship team. He's entering his prime and it's f***ing glorious.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00