Player Discussion: Noah Dobson

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I didn't see this type of offensive ability coming, but he has legit PPG ability. These are not flukey points, he could get 80+ this season.
Especially considering how he’s earning these points. He’s often the primary catalyst. He doesn’t have “magical creature” prime Leddy’s skating ability… but he is just as automatic transitioning.

Reactions: TMI and PWJunior

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Lol… ironic that there is an actual Game of Thrones “in world” plot point justifying the face change.

1703093542219.png

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Very happy to have a young stud horse in Dobson to go up against all the ultra talented d-men that HF has told me are better than Dobber - in some instances multiple levels better.

Rags fans insisted K. Miller is better... not even worth discussing. Let me stop laughing before continuing.

Devils fans said Ty Smith was better early on, yeah... that worked out. Next.

Edmonton with the eternal butt hurt for passing on Dobson for Bouchard. Bouchard is a quality OFD, can't defend for shit. Yeah, he's better than Dobber.

Detroit fans insisted Seider is a level or two better. I do like him and he may be better defensively (because he came fully physically mature), offensively... not close. Curious how Seider is deployed now though, he should be getting much more ice time and putting up similar level of points since it's a HF fact he has better offensive upside than Dobson too. I expect him to challenge for the Norris next season to follow the same timeline of development since he's superior. Looking forward to it.

Q. Hughes is a Unicorn, but so is Dobber as his archetype of d-men is super rare also. I'm clearly biased, but Hughes is clearly special yet I've dreamed of a Dobson type of player for pretty much forever.

Love that everyone wrote Dobson off, even some here as recent as the off-season. I'm in a bad mood because I caught a cold and feel like shit. Just wanted to vent a little from all the holier than thou bullshit since we drafted Dobson. I'm just enjoying watching the kid blossom into an Altered Beast.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

The Isles really did slow cook Dobson, but can't argue with that process now that the kid is a beast.
I'll use this article to once again push my idea that all teams should be allowed a single waiver for a junior player to play in the AHL. With the junior team/league being compensated.

It's not really that often when you get a player like Dobson, who clearly has outgrown the junior game but is not entirely ready for the NHL. You're not likely to see 32 players a year removed from the junior leagues... so I don't think it will completely strip them of their talent...

I've always assumed the rules were setup to prevent talent drain from MJHL, but maybe I'm wrong?

Reactions: PWJunior

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I'll use this article to once again push my idea that all teams should be allowed a single waiver for a junior player to play in the AHL. With the junior team/league being compensated.

It's not really that often when you get a player like Dobson, who clearly has outgrown the junior game but is not entirely ready for the NHL. You're not likely to see 32 players a year removed from the junior leagues... so I don't think it will completely strip them of their talent...

I've always assumed the rules were setup to prevent talent drain from MJHL, but maybe I'm wrong?

It is an interesting idea, but I can't see the CHL to agreeing to that. Dobson is a rare exception kind of like that Exceptional Player so maybe there can be an avenue for applying for such waiver and having it approved by some governing body or a combination of NHL and CHL executives.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
It is an interesting idea, but I can't see the CHL to agreeing to that. Dobson is a rare exception kind of like that Exceptional Player so maybe there can be an avenue for applying for such waiver and having it approved by some governing body or a combination of NHL and CHL executives.
Yes, that's essentially what I was getting at. While I have no numbers to back it up, I can only see this coming up a half a dozen times at most throughout the NHL. Also it would be spread out over three junior leagues. So I don't think it would impact the CHL as much as people think.

But even so, maybe make it that once an organization uses their exceptional status slot, they can't use it again for another 3 or 4 years. That would incentivize teams to use it judiciously.

Other options could be that the player that get's exceptional status can't be held from competing in the World Juniors AND the NHL team can't bring the player up to the NHL until the start of the next season the earliest. That would also give teams pause for granting exceptional status, while keeping it's use in the spirit of player development.

Reactions: eoin92 and PWJunior

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

Great shot, yet I was more impressed (also mentioned by Butch so I know
I wasn't the only one) with his composure under pressure on the forecheck.

He was so dialed in that he made everything look natural. Now, I want to see how he can handle a Pittsburgh rematch. Same obviously goes for Lambert and the Isles in general.

Reactions: PWJunior

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

Dobson is definitely worthy of Norris consideration this year. He should also get some Hart consideration for the heavy lifting he's been doing for this team.

Reactions: SI90 and MJF

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut

Dobson is definitely worthy of Norris consideration this year. He should also get some Hart consideration for the heavy lifting he's been doing for this team.
Completely OT but on the subject of post season awards: Did anyone see that Aaron Rodgers won the NYJ award for Most Inspirational Player.

I’m not making that up. :huh:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Completely OT but on the subject of post season awards: Did anyone see that Aaron Rodgers won the NYJ award for Most Inspirational Player.

I’m not making that up. :huh:

You weren't fired up when he ran out onto the field with the American flag?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad