No way should Matthews be captain over Marner

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Kind of an insane thread.

Obviously these playoffs are one of many factors in such a decision, not everything. Was Matthews playing hurt? If so this whole conversation is pretty stupid isn't it?

If I was to wager on it I would say there are only 2 choices with a good chance at winning, Matthews or Rielly. In many ways Rielly is doing the Captain's job already, at least from a media perspective.

Then you have Marleau who is an obvious choice.

I love Marner but I doubt he's in the conversation.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Did you feel like this when Marner had 2 goals in 34 games? Or 5 goals in like 47?

What is wrong with people?

lipstickjunkie

Jan 5, 2017
Matthews: 65 pts in 69 games this year including playoffs.

Marner: 72 pts in his last 77 games including playoffs.

I can easily see Marner racking up more points and I've been saying forever that their skill level is way closer than people think, but yeah, Matthews is still the franchise and the captain. Marner should have an 'A' before long though.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Matthews has more compete level in his nail then Marner does in his entite body.
Matthews is the captain. Sorry folks thats the way it is and it should be.
Funny how people forget about Marner's terrible playoffs last year. Is he a playoff show up once in his career?
Matthews had a great playoffs last season as well.

Marner is a great player but there is no way we win with this guy as captain.
Seriously laughing out loud.

Reactions: DarkKnight

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Seriously laughing out loud.
He's not wrong. Wait until Matthews goes under the knife shortly and misses all or part of training camp.

He was injured. Babcock himself said that Matthews would not be 100% for the rest of the season. That means playoffs too.

The beauty is.....we have them both.

Last edited:

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
You're not winning the cup if Matthews isn't firing on all cylinders. Doesn't matter who the captain is. Marner becoming captain won't change a thing if you already believe Matthews doesn't have "it" to do well under duress.

#34 will become captain.

basically this. Marner played out of his mind and we still lost.

but if Matthews had been point per game + as he usually is, we win. probably in less than 7.

not sure why we can't enjoy having 3 legit first line forwards only beginning their careers though. that we drafted. believe me, even 10 years ago that was a far off dream.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
A captain is supposed to be a leader with a lot of experience, neither Mathews or Marner are captain worthy yet. A seasoned veteran needs to be captain, someone like Marleau or Bozak would be better, but right now there isn't really anyone who'd be a good captain.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I don't care how good Matthews is, there is something that you can't teach that is required in a leader and it is heart. Marner has more heart in his pinky than Matthews has in his entire body. Marner doesn't back down from anyone on the ice. He was man handled all series long and kept getting up and never gave up.

He works hard every day. He is literally the embodiment of what Babcock preaches. He lives for the playoffs. Matthews is a great player but you can't have a guy like that as your captain if you ever want to win a cup.

What if Marner and Matthews cancel each other out and the C is given to Marleau?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I've believed in Marner longer than almost anyone on this board.
This would actually be impressive if it was Pierre Engvall or Andreas Johnsson. The majority has believed in Marner since the very start. So congratulations, you are not one of the loonies or those that overreact to every little trend.

People actually thought Nylander was better than him LOL
The two has a more or less identical case over their NHL careers. The only ridiculous stance on this topic is one that involves the acronym LOL.

Last edited:

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Wow, that is amazing.

Here's a few players I have believed in over the years: Crosby, Tavares, Hedman, Matthews, Hall, McDavid, and Laine. What daring. Man, am I an oracle or what?

The two has a more or less identical case over their NHL careers. The only ridiculous stance on this topic is one that involves the acronym LOL.

don't bother man, no amount of proof can sway the marner mob, the stat that matters most is
Birthplace: GTA

Reactions: kindalaidback

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Neither should be captain, imo. The best choice in all honesty is probably Zach Hyman, followed by Morgan Rielly.

Or Tavares if we somehow land him, followed by Hyman and Rielly with the A’s.

BudForLife

Jul 18, 2009
Toronto
Are we really gonna sh*t on Matthews??

Please give your head a shake...then bang it on the wall a couple of times :eek:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00