No way should Matthews be captain over Marner

bonjovi0308

Jan 26, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
A few thoughts:
1) It does not necessarily mean whoever gets more points should be the captain. I think leadership is not the same as getting points
2) I'm pretty sure most of us don't know the players personally and thus hard to judge who should be the captain. Leave this with Shannahan and Babcock
3) Those who said Marner was a no show last year - he got mono and I think he still got more than 2 points in the entire playoff series?
4) Marner is possibly the most valuable player out of the 3. Despite his size, he is not really injury prone too.

Allhailtheleafs

Feb 18, 2018
When we first drafted marner, I thought to myself man he's going to be our next captain. Reminds me way to much of Gilmour. Smaller, but more skilled. Both play with thier heart on their sleeve. Then we drafted Matthews. Then thought; hell be our next captain, after all our last first pick was Clark. Matthews reminds me a lot of sundin. Still told my buddies, Matthews will get more goals as a leaf, but marner will prob put up more points. Still debatable. So the most comparable question is which style captain do you prefer; sundin or Gilmour? One leads by example on the ice by sheer skill, the other leads by sheer determination and work ethics. Personally, i preferred Gilmour as captain over sundin. Think that role can be given an A. Still both are perfect for their roles, and they can still rely on one another

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
I thought Matthews is the one sheltering Marner who plays on the 2nd line against lesser competition...

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Captain is overrated and kind of a drag imo, captains need to answer to the media every night after a 8 -0 loss. marner could be captain but it comes down to personality types. Marner would have to tone down being goofy. mathews quiet confidence fits more into a stereotypical captain like sakic or yzerman. Both could but i think mathews would satisfy the media more because given toronto media when things start going bad they start questioning marner's positive attitude, happy-go lucky personality and leadership as captain. Media ruining marner is only reason for me.

Marner doesn't sound happy go lucky in any of the pre/post game interviews I've seen him in. Care to show any examples of him being happy go lucky to the media? Or do you mean he can't be a happy guy in general?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
"Marner has more heart in his pinky than Matthews has in his entire body."

Wow this has to be one of the dumbest statements I have seen on this board. If anybody has been watching the emergence of Mark Scheifele and the Winnipeg Jets chew on this. He was drafted in 2011 and it has taken him 4+ full seasons to become the player he is now. And you know what, I take Matthews over Scheifele all day long. Anybody doubting Matthews better be ready to eat crow down the road.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
Hi leafers... I dont know if either of those players strike me as your future captain at this time.
In fact I just looked the roster, and no one is really jumping out as C material. It would be a forced selection IMO if it has to be done 2018/2019 season.

No doubt you guys have an insane amount of offensive skill but I didn't really see clear leadership out of the two candidates your are debating in regular season play * or playoffs.
(* I did not watch every leaf game, so its possible I missed very good evidence to debunk my viewpoint)

I am sure that Matthews will get it, and to his credit he is only 20. Perhaps another year should be given before awarding the C to someone.

No matter who you pick, they will always be better then the habs captain, Max Casperettty ( cause he's a ghost and disappears:naughty:)

Cheers, fellow hockey enthusiasts !

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Marner doesn't sound happy go lucky in any of the pre/post game interviews I've seen him in. Care to show any examples of him being happy go lucky to the media? Or do you mean he can't be a happy guy in general?

Really? I think he usually is like most of the time, and yes he cant be happy in general either. You can be a character in toronto but the second you get captaincy the media is gonna turn on you. Having character and charisma is usually a good thing but in toronto the captain should be politically correct and boring to the media or else they are going to create a circus the second the team struggles... And you know leading the way is going to be Steve Simmons. They will pick on mathews as well but they dont know his quiet personality as well in order to attack it. If marner gets captain all of his positive traits ironically are gonna get criticized by these clowns because thats what they do when the team loses.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
What the hell happened to nearly everyone endorsing Rielly as Captain only a few short years ago?

Is it possible that Rielly has yet to meet our expectations as a true #1 D?

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
What the hell happened to nearly everyone endorsing Rielly as Captain only a few short years ago?

We found better players.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
So, yes is the answer to Rielly failing to meet our expectations?
I guess if you had insane expectations it would be. Personally I'd say most expected some top 5/10 picks to turn out better than him though, even if you do consider him a #1D right now.

Seems like he's bang on expectations and anyone who thought he'd be our best player on a top 5/10 team in the league should sit in the corner for a while.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

1 + 1 <> 3

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Like how do some people here survive in the real world? Opinions drastically change so much in weeks. Matthews was our best player this season. 34 g 63 pts in 62 games.

He was the “best all round player in the league” the first month of the season, now he is a playoff no heart no show...

Like how can you buy a house? A car, get married. Every 2 weeks people make ridiculous broad strokes claims, only to change their mind

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On

This isn't really a sane discussion. Read the thread. Rielly is one of the leaders on this team. I have never read anything or seen anything to suggest Marner is.

There are 3 realistic choices, not in any order.

1 Rielly. The guy doing the Captain's job now with the media.

2. Marleau. A guy who has done it before and is the top veteran presence on the team.

3. Matthews. The face of the franchise.

You can say there are many types of leaders, leader by example etc etc. This is true. In our market though handling the media is a big part of the job.

Marner while talented and a hard worker is only in the conversation on this board and supported by those who call him their favorite player. I can name several others who would be ahead of him on the list.

Ultimately we have no power over this but I will gladly make an avatar wager with anyone convinced Marner will be Captain. It's not going to happen any time soon.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Like how do some people here survive in the real world? Opinions drastically change so much in weeks. Matthews was our best player this season. 34 g 63 pts in 62 games.

He was the “best all round player in the league” the first month of the season, now he is a playoff no heart no show...

Like how can you buy a house? A car, get married. Every 2 weeks people make ridiculous broad strokes claims, only to change their mind

Growing up is a requirement for maturity, but maturity isn't required for growing up.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Really? I think he usually is like most of the time, and yes he cant be happy in general either. You can be a character in toronto but the second you get captaincy the media is gonna turn on you. Having character and charisma is usually a good thing but in toronto the captain should be politically correct and boring to the media or else they are going to create a circus the second the team struggles... And you know leading the way is going to be Steve Simmons. They will pick on mathews as well but they dont know his quiet personality as well in order to attack it. If marner gets captain all of his positive traits ironically are gonna get criticized by these clowns because thats what they do when the team loses.

Like I said, if you could pull out maybe 2 or 3 interviews of Marner being happy go lucky so I can see what you mean, it would make it much easier to understand your point. From every interview I've seen of Marner with the media it's the same boring type of answers that Matthews gives. I'd say Rielly even has more personality in his interviews than Marner. I honestly think you're talking about outside of interviews. It seems you don't want your captain singing "living on a prayer" on the bench, or dancing in the halls.

Btw I think Matthews will get the captaincy and I personally think he makes an excellent candidate. Just don't see why Marner wouldn't be eligible. I assume it is because he looks young? Same reason why people don't want Dubas as GM I think.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Like I said, if you could pull out maybe 2 or 3 interviews of Marner being happy go lucky so I can see what you mean, it would make it much easier to understand your point. From every interview I've seen of Marner with the media it's the same boring type of answers that Matthews gives. I'd say Rielly even has more personality in his interviews than Marner. I honestly think you're talking about outside of interviews. It seems you don't want your captain singing "living on a prayer" on the bench, or dancing in the halls.

Btw I think Matthews will get the captaincy and I personally think he makes an excellent candidate. Just don't see why Marner wouldn't be eligible. I assume it is because he looks young? Same reason why people don't want Dubas as GM I think.
Ok so i just said the reason why id prefer mathews....No its not because marner looks young. Not sure why it seems that way. Listen to me, im saying it will be the media that doesnt want him doing that stuff. And yes im talking about his personality that is more visible to the media than mathews, not just interviews. He is more susceptible to media scrutiny. Thats the only reason.

Last edited:

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

How does being/not being a #1 (D, or even C or W) affect matters when it comes to the captaincy though? The C should go to the best leader. It's a bonus if that player is also the team's best at his particular position.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
How does being/not being a #1 (D, or even C or W) affect matters when it comes to the captaincy though? The C should go to the best leader. It's a bonus if that player is also the team's best at his particular position.
Even before he hit the ice, he was being lauded as our next captain!

And yes, the C should go to the BEST LEADER, not necessarily the highest draft pick, highest paid, or, the player with the most talent. Some posters on here think the best candidate should always be your best player. That is not always true!

Reactions: Buds17

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

And yes, the C should go to the BEST LEADER, not necessarily the highest draft pick, highest paid, or, the player with the most talent. Some posters on here think the best candidate should always be your best player. That is not always true!

I'd still guess Matthews for C, but given that Rielly has an A and is still young, that's not looking like a bad opinion either for anyone that's long held it.

I agree that best leader and best player aren't always one and the same, though best player could even be subjective in some cases.

Reactions: Al14

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan

Some posters on here think they can actually judge leadership without setting foot inside the team dressing room too..

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
and? Major injuries sure, he doesnt need surgery great but a bad back would seriously hinder performance. you know the only source for mono was babcock saying "marner had mono or soemthing like that" in fact alot of evidence showed he had strep throat.

Marner is not going to be captain of the leafs id almost guarantee it. flashy offensive player or 2way elite 1C i can tell you who would get the C out of those 2. Matthews is the face of the franchise that player is usually the C. If Marner was from anywhere else besides the GTA this isnt even a conversation.
Your kidding right?

Coach after coach who are not maple Leaf coaches have praised Marner time and time again and you are silly enough to believe that it is only because he is a Toronto Area player.

This kid has been nothing short of fantastic this year. He has easily been our best forward and I say our best player this year.

He competes hard for the puck at all times something Mathews has not shown yet and I am talking about both years not just this year.

Do I think Marner will be the captain. No but he easily should be as he is the leader of this team like it or not.

Mathews is a great player no doubt but I think Marner will lead this team in scoring total point most years.

If Lou was the GM still Mathews would not be the captain until he earned it and he has not done so yet.

Nice that we have two top end players.

People compared Marner with Kane and I say Marner is far better as he plays the 200 ft game and competes harder and man are we lucky Hunter was here to draft him despite what two management level individuals said.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad