No way should Matthews be captain over Marner

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Are we really gonna sh*t on Matthews??

Please give your head a shake...then bang it on the wall a couple of times :eek:

I don't see it as shitting on him. He has the talent and ability to be one of the leagues greats and arguably the best player in Leafs history. However he has to earn that praise that some want to give him for free.

While he is out there living the life of a star, Marner is outworking him, Marner is more willing to do what needs to be done, Marner puts the team on his back, Marner wears his heart on his sleeve.

Marner should be getting all this praise because he has deserved it. Lead the team in points in the regular season and playoffs, was WAY more physical than a 6 foot 3 Matthews. He took abuse after abuse from Chara and Marchand and instead of shying away like Matthews and Nylander, Marner took it and then threw it back at them. He doesn't quit.

It's time to stop over rating Matthews until he does it. Marner is the franchise right now.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
He said he had no major injuries in his exit interviews.

and? Major injuries sure, he doesnt need surgery great but a bad back would seriously hinder performance. you know the only source for mono was babcock saying "marner had mono or soemthing like that" in fact alot of evidence showed he had strep throat.

Marner is not going to be captain of the leafs id almost guarantee it. flashy offensive player or 2way elite 1C i can tell you who would get the C out of those 2. Matthews is the face of the franchise that player is usually the C. If Marner was from anywhere else besides the GTA this isnt even a conversation.

Reactions: stickty111

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I don't see it as ****ting on him. He has the talent and ability to be one of the leagues greats and arguably the best player in Leafs history. However he has to earn that praise that some want to give him for free.

While he is out there living the life of a star, Marner is outworking him, Marner is more willing to do what needs to be done, Marner puts the team on his back, Marner wears his heart on his sleeve.

Marner should be getting all this praise because he has deserved it. Lead the team in points in the regular season and playoffs, was WAY more physical than a 6 foot 3 Matthews. He took abuse after abuse from Chara and Marchand and instead of shying away like Matthews and Nylander, Marner took it and then threw it back at them. He doesn't quit.

It's time to stop over rating Matthews until he does it. Marner is the franchise right now.

Lol wat

This whole thread seems like the "little guy from southern Ontario has more hart becuz" thing that always seems to happen with that certain portion of the fanbase.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I don't see it as ****ting on him. He has the talent and ability to be one of the leagues greats and arguably the best player in Leafs history. However he has to earn that praise that some want to give him for free.

I mean you are shitting on him by making absurd comments like that bolded.

And the recency bias, my goodness. Matthews led the team in regular season scoring last year (including 40 goals as a rookie) and was tied for the team lead in playoff scoring last year as well.

Marner, at the same time, struggled down the stretch/playoffs with mono and it was the same narrative with Marner this time last year as it is with Matthews' this year.

This season Matthews' has a known shoulder injury that wasn't going to be 100% through the rest of the season, and you wonder why he wasn't as physical against Chara...

They're both the franchise, both extremely valuable. You don't have to put one down to prop one up. Give it a rest.

BudForLife

Jul 18, 2009
Toronto

You really think our praise is "Giving it to him for Free"?
The kid was lights out last year and carried the team on his back many games and how many clutch goals did he score??
He played amazing last year in the playoffs. I agree that he didn't play up to snuff this playoffs, but it's NOT because he doesn't have heart.
It may be an injury that we don't know about...just like Marner last year in the playoffs..."Matthews is living the life of a star"...is totally LOLOL.
Matthews is not overrated. He's a star and we're lucky to have him.
Give the other NHL teams a choice between Matthews and Marner...let's see who they choose.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
You think people in Boston have pissing matches about whether Bergeron or Chara should wear the C or do you think they just enjoy watching them?

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Whomever gets the C (and any available A's), I hope the decision isn't overly easy or obvious. Having more leaders than letters is a great "problem" to have, I'd think.
Not always. Think back to the rumored locker room divide at the turn of the century. There were a lot of cooks in that kitchen and it allegedly became something of a problem.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Not always. Think back to the rumored locker room divide at the turn of the century. There were a lot of cooks in that kitchen and it allegedly became something of a problem.

Because one person allegedly has an affair with the others wife. It wasn’t about too many “coOks” in a kitchen

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Mathews cant be captain after his playoff performance this year i mean its just like when Joe Sakic had a quiet playoff series in 1997 and who would want a guy that dissapears like that.. Oh and Mario Lemieux wasnt a good enough captain to guide his team to the stanley cup for 18 years of his career..only twice was he captain material.

Just playing devils advocate here, while these are good sarcastic remarks to prove why Matthews can be captain. They don't really give a reason why Marner can't be, or why Matthews would be more deserving over Marner.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Just playing devils advocate here, while these are good sarcastic remarks to prove why Matthews can be captain. They don't really give a reason why Marner can't be, or why Matthews would be more deserving over Marner.
Captain is overrated and kind of a drag imo, captains need to answer to the media every night after a 8 -0 loss. marner could be captain but it comes down to personality types. Marner would have to tone down being goofy. mathews quiet confidence fits more into a stereotypical captain like sakic or yzerman. Both could but i think mathews would satisfy the media more because given toronto media when things start going bad they start questioning marner's positive attitude, happy-go lucky personality and leadership as captain. Media ruining marner is only reason for me.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I don't see a real captain on this team, yet. Not a real one, you could just appoint someone but, we don't have one..

napoleon in rags

Fred's dead, Baby... Fred's dead
Jun 17, 2009
St. Helena
Who is the voice in the dressing room that is capable of rallying his teammates?

Who is capable of transcending any dressing room cliques so as to unite the team in times of distress?

Who is the voice of the players that can approach the coach and management about internal issues?

Who is well-versed enough with the rules that he can represent the team's arguments to the referees?

That's who the captain should be.

Reactions: Al14

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
The things people are saying in this thread are disgraceful. Ripping marner in order to make a case for Matthews... smh. They’re our two clear cut best players. They are not competing with each other in that respect. To the guy who says marner is not captain material... he literally co- captained a team to the memorial cup. He wouldn’t be my choice for captain this far in the NHL, but he’s not kessel. FWIW, I think it will be Matthews . Rightfully so. I’d give an A to Mitch who is leading by example. And finally, enough with trying to compare mitch’s Poor 2017 playoff with Matthews this year. Was it not reported he had mono?

Reactions: Al14

alliuk12

Feb 1, 2011
7 game sample changes nothing Matthews will be captain and he should be. Heck it was Marner who was invisible last year in the playoffs
And it was Matthews that was invisiable this year Matthews is to soft to be a captain

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I mean you are ****ting on him by making absurd comments like that bolded.

And the recency bias, my goodness. Matthews led the team in regular season scoring last year (including 40 goals as a rookie) and was tied for the team lead in playoff scoring last year as well.

Marner, at the same time, struggled down the stretch/playoffs with mono and it was the same narrative with Marner this time last year as it is with Matthews' this year.

This season Matthews' has a known shoulder injury that wasn't going to be 100% through the rest of the season, and you wonder why he wasn't as physical against Chara...

They're both the franchise, both extremely valuable. You don't have to put one down to prop one up. Give it a rest.

This......

:thumbu:

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Because one person allegedly has an affair with the others wife. It wasn’t about too many “coOks” in a kitchen
I'm referring to the alleged tensions between Roberts and Sundin, where Roberts (again, allegedly) believed Sundin wasn't living up to his responsibilities as captain, or should have been leading in a different way.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
People react too much to the playoff loss. Relax. Just because Matthews wasn't good does not mean we trade him or never make him captain. He was great the year previous in the playoffs.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

nick-young-confused-face-300x256_nqlyaa.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad