No way should Matthews be captain over Marner

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
and? Major injuries sure, he doesnt need surgery great but a bad back would seriously hinder performance. you know the only source for mono was babcock saying "marner had mono or soemthing like that" in fact alot of evidence showed he had strep throat.

Marner is not going to be captain of the leafs id almost guarantee it. flashy offensive player or 2way elite 1C i can tell you who would get the C out of those 2. Matthews is the face of the franchise that player is usually the C. If Marner was from anywhere else besides the GTA this isnt even a conversation.

the bolded:
1: so?

2: who also plays very well in his own end, or is striving to do so.

3: it doesn't have to be the centre. or the winger. or the defenseman. it's usually whomever
A: the players vote in, or B: who the coach wants.

4: i so hate this argument. like eleventytimes a billion hate it.

like i ultimately understand your point but it really seems to me that everytime someone brings up that marner could be the face or whatever (again - more akin to the Chicago Model) you want to just make it like Marner is off the potato truck and lucked into being good for a season or something. Now, I don't think he would be the captain (Marner), it's going to be Matthews, but it's not that far off the realm of possibilities that they do make Marner (hell they could give it to Brown for all I care) the captain. but you are acting like it's going to be this big personal affront if Matthews isn't made captain.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
the bolded:
1: so?

2: who also plays very well in his own end, or is striving to do so.

3: it doesn't have to be the centre. or the winger. or the defenseman. it's usually whomever
A: the players vote in, or B: who the coach wants.

4: i so hate this argument. like eleventytimes a billion hate it.

like i ultimately understand your point but it really seems to me that everytime someone brings up that marner could be the face or whatever (again - more akin to the Chicago Model) you want to just make it like Marner is off the potato truck and lucked into being good for a season or something. Now, I don't think he would be the captain (Marner), it's going to be Matthews, but it's not that far off the realm of possibilities that they do make Marner (hell they could give it to Brown for all I care) the captain. but you are acting like it's going to be this big personal affront if Matthews isn't made captain.

not a personal affront to Matthews, i have no idea how Matthews feels about being the C. The face of your franchise is in the majority of cases the captain. And as great as marner is he isn't currently nor will he be better than Matthews IMO, People crowing abut marners 69 points this season Matthews had 63 points in 20 less games. Its possible and probably likely that if both play 82 games marner can outscore him in multiple seasons. Im not really all that bothered by scoring. When Matthews plays he draws the other teams best players to shut him down (or beat him) because he is our best player.

As for the first bolded, I don't like the mono excuse when the only person who has ever said is Saskatchewan scientist Mike Babcock saying something off the cuff. A poster I quoted before that post was brushing off Matthews shoulder/Back injuries this year and went on to talk about Marners mono which was never confirmed.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I've believed in Marner longer than almost anyone on this board. I defended him all last offseason and the first half of the year against half this board. I have locked threads where I was defending him and what I said came true. People actually thought Nylander was better than him LOL

I wanted the leafs to draft marner pretty much since the nylander draft. having spent time in london i knew the kid was gonna be better than both max domi and dylan strome. electric

that being said i think am34 as the face of the franchise is the next captain

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
not a personal affront to Matthews, i have no idea how Matthews feels about being the C. The face of your franchise is in the majority of cases the captain. And as great as marner is he isn't currently nor will he be better than Matthews IMO, People crowing abut marners 69 points this season Matthews had 63 points in 20 less games. Its possible and probably likely that if both play 82 games marner can outscore him in multiple seasons. Im not really all that bothered by scoring. When Matthews plays he draws the other teams best players to shut him down (or beat him) because he is our best player.

As for the first bolded, I don't like the mono excuse when the only person who has ever said is Saskatchewan scientist Mike Babcock saying something off the cuff. A poster I quoted before that post was brushing off Matthews shoulder/Back injuries this year and went on to talk about Marners mono which was never confirmed.

so why is it an excuse? the kid was sick or was still recovering from being sick. he still got his pound of flesh from last year, despite that, because once you put the jersey on, you're healthy. this year. matthews wasn't feeling great because of his back slash shoulder. i think anyone who has actual sense can give matthews his pound of flesh (because of the same above reason) but keep that in mind. Babcock was the one who announced all the injuries so i don't get why it's "Saskatchewan science" for Marner, so on and so forth.

that's fair if you want to believe that (like to me it doesn't matter).

you can argue if matthews played in 20 more games he would have eclipsed that - but then you can argue if he wouldn't have had a long slump (13 games) like last year. I think also a lot of people forget that Marner had like 2 goals until December.

i feel that all three (Nylander, Marner, and Matthews) have the ability to do what you just said. overall, like i said. it could be how it is in Chicago, and I don't think it matters because of a season or whatever. for the very longest time It was Toews and then Kane. It was Toews's team, he was the face etc etc. sometimes it was ToewsandKane because you couldn't really differentiate between the two. and now you can very easily argue it's Kane and then Toews.

what i think a lot of people are ignoring that it doesn't matter because they are last time i checked, both on our team so whomever people wanna see as the franchise face or whatever it's like fighting how you say tomato or potato.

Last edited:

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
so why is it an excuse? the kid was sick or was still recovering from being sick. he still got his pound of flesh from last year, despite that, because once you put the jersey on, you're healthy. this year. matthews wasn't feeling great because of his back slash shoulder. i think anyone who has actual sense can give matthews his pound of flesh (because of the same above reason). Babcock was the one who announced all the injuries so i don't get why it's "Saskatchewan science" for Marner, so on and so forth.

that's fair if you want to believe that (like to me it doesn't matter).

you can argue if matthews played in 20 more games he would have eclipsed that - but then you can argue if he wouldn't have had a long slump (13 games) like last year. I think also a lot of people forget that Marner had like 2 goals until December.

i feel that all three (Nylander, Marner, and Matthews) have the ability to do what you just said. overall, like i said. it could be how it is in Chicago, and I don't think it matters because of a season or whatever. for the very longest time It was Toews and then Kane. It was Toews's team, he was the face etc etc. sometimes it was ToewsandKane because you couldn't really differentiate between the two. and now you can very easily argue it's Kane and then Toews.

what i think a lot of people are ignoring that it doesn't matter because they are last time i checked, both on our team so whomever people wanna see as the franchise face or whatever it's like fighting how you say tomato or potato.

I gurantee you I say tomato differently than you. People at subway never have any idea what im talking about. Ive taken to using a Canadian accent when I get to the tomato part of my order. Anyway that's neither here nor there

At the end of the day I believe Matthews should be captain, I think marner is going to be a great player (already is pretty much) but Matthews will always be the better player.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I gurantee you I say tomato differently than you. People at subway never have any idea what im talking about. Ive taken to using a Canadian accent when I get to the tomato part of my order. Anyway that's neither here nor there

At the end of the day I believe Matthews should be captain, I think marner is going to be a great player (already is pretty much) but Matthews will always be the better player.

but.. being captain isn't about being the better player though.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
but.. being captain isn't about being the better player though.

No but our face of our franchise is also our best player. Who leads the league in jersey sales? he Is the most popular player, the media automatically goes to him if he is there for interviews and he is our best player. Imo that all lines up toward a player becoming captain. Again imo

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
No but our face of our franchise is also our best player. Who leads the league in jersey sales? he Is the most popular player, the media automatically goes to him if he is there for interviews and he is our best player. Imo that all lines up toward a player becoming captain. Again imo

again. that's not what is all about being a captain though.
what you are talking about is marketability and why a lot of teams push their having #youngestcaptainever thing.

Again, and I feel i should stress this - I expect Matthews to be the captain of the team - but in my honest opinion if it was just about being the 'face of the franchise' jersey sales, and all that other stuff, they would have slapped the C on him last season..

Being captain (or more importantly being part of the leadership group because as we know in the NHL it's sort of like "it takes a village"), it's about leadership. first and foremost. and I think personally that's why they are taking their time with this. A: not putting it on Matthews and putting 'captain' duties on him right away, but also lettng him take over leader wise in his own way in his own time

it's sort of like the Dubas argument. if the reason why matthews should be captain is simply because he's a centre, and "the best player" honestly that's a dumbo reason to give it to him. If Matthews (either on the ice (which he does), in the room, or whatever can actually lead (and harness his actions so the team mimics his behaviour - something Crosby got slammed with in the early years ie: he threw a tantrum, it was like the entire team threw one right along with him), then he gets the C.

Optimist

Wendel and I
Feb 16, 2015
Ontario Canada
If I was Marner I'd pray the Matthews would be captain. If I was Matthews I'd pray the Marner would be captain. It's the most thankless job on the planet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->