No way should Matthews be captain over Marner

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I don't care how good Matthews is, there is something that you can't teach that is required in a leader and it is heart. Marner has more heart in his pinky than Matthews has in his entire body. Marner doesn't back down from anyone on the ice. He was man handled all series long and kept getting up and never gave up.

He works hard every day. He is literally the embodiment of what Babcock preaches. He lives for the playoffs. Matthews is a great player but you can't have a guy like that as your captain if you ever want to win a cup.

Reactions: LDN

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Matthews has more compete level in his nail then Marner does in his entite body.
Matthews is the captain. Sorry folks thats the way it is and it should be.
Funny how people forget about Marner's terrible playoffs last year. Is he a playoff show up once in his career?
Matthews had a great playoffs last season as well.

Marner is a great player but there is no way we win with this guy as captain.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
You can't base this all on 1 playoff series. Matthews was terrific last year. Maybe he was injured?
We all know it is Matthews' to lose.

Reactions: Walshy7

Leafsforever89

Apr 22, 2017
I don't care how good Matthews is, there is something that you can't teach that is required in a leader and it is heart. Marner has more heart in his pinky than Matthews has in his entire body. Marner doesn't back down from anyone on the ice. He was man handled all series long and kept getting up and never gave up.

He works hard every day. He is literally the embodiment of what Babcock preaches. He lives for the playoffs. Matthews is a great player but you can't have a guy like that as your captain if you ever want to win a cup.

No way can Marner be a captain. He just doesn't have thew leadership qualities. He is a great player but he is a follower not a leader.

Reactions: stickty111

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
7 game sample changes nothing Matthews will be captain and he should be. Heck it was Marner who was invisible last year in the playoffs

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Matthews has more compete level in his nail then Marner does in his entite body.
Matthews is the captain. Sorry folks thats the way it is and it should be.
Funny how people forget about Marner's terrible playoffs last year. Is he a playoff show up once in his career?
Matthews had a great playoffs last season as well.

Marner is a great player but there is no way we win with this guy as captain.

Let's not get carried away here.

Why do you you people always pit our players against one another? They can both be good leaders. Isn't that what we want?

Good question. Tiresome stuff.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Whomever gets the C (and any available A's), I hope the decision isn't overly easy or obvious. Having more leaders than letters is a great "problem" to have, I'd think.

Reactions: IBeL34f and slozo

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario

Do people not remember last playoffs? Christ our fan base sure doesn't treat star players well at all sometimes.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Ohhh FFS!! The tinfoil hat "fans" are still lingering around.

I will be back tomorrow when things hopefully calm down.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Matthews might have put way to much pressure on himself this series and thats painfully obvious from my viewpoint.

Marner took the bull by the horns and lead the team in scoring and took alot of defensive zone shutdown work.

Marner will lead this team in scoring next year.

Matthews is our captain all the way for me.

Black hat blue eyes

Jul 21, 2015
Typical over reaction........

Captains are made in the room. Not on the ice. We don't know what kind of leader Matthews is in the room.

You have no say thankfully. These hot takes are understandable due to just losing the series. But they are Hot takes.

Don't know who will be the captain but if it's Matthews then it is.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Mathews cant be captain after his playoff performance this year i mean its just like when Joe Sakic had a quiet playoff series in 1997 and who would want a guy that dissapears like that.. Oh and Mario Lemieux wasnt a good enough captain to guide his team to the stanley cup for 18 years of his career..only twice was he captain material.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Matthews might have put way to much pressure on himself this series and thats painfully obvious from my viewpoint.

Marner took the bull by the horns and lead the team in scoring and took alot of defensive zone shutdown work.

Marner will lead this team in scoring next year.

Matthews is our captain all the way for me.

I don't see Marner out producing a healthy Matthews over a full season. Matthews was already a PPG this season. If Matthews is healthy, I expect 85+ points from him. Marner may get to 75+ or so.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The only people who can say who should or shouldn’t be captain are those inside the dressing room. And Nobody on these board qualifies in that regard to judge

Reactions: kb

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Its called evening out the playing field.

PS: something tells me I used the wrong evening:laugh:

You lost me there somewhere but that's OK.

I think Marner is awesome and he would make a great captain.

I don't really care who the captain is or if they even have a captain.

Leaders lead whether they are wearing a letter or not.

Here are some thread ideas I have.

Marner vs Matthews
Marner vs Nylander
Kadri vs Bozak
Matthews vs Nylander
Marner vs Hyman+Kapanen
Kananen vs Johnsson
Kadri vs Bozak
Andersen vs Reimer
Hainsey vs Hunwick
Rielly vs Gardiner
Kadri vs Bozak
Dermott vs Rielly
Carlyle vs Babcock
Babcock vs Burns
Babcock vs Quinn
Liljegren vs Dermott
JVR vs Marleau
Nonis vs Lamoriello
Kadri vs Bozak
Zaitsev vs Lefevre
Sittler vs Matthews
Matthews vs Gilmour
Marner vs Gilmour
Kadri vs Bozak

That's just for starters, I have a bunch more. What do y'all think, should I start making these threads?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I don't see Marner out producing a healthy Matthews over a full season. Matthews was already a PPG this season. If Matthews is healthy, I expect 85+ points from him. Marner may get to 75+ or so.

Marner's gonna get to 75 by Christmas. ;)

kindalaidback

숨 참고 LOVE DIVE
Nov 24, 2017
NYC
give auston the c and willie an a and they can keep on sucking together, and i get to read your comments on how we should've traded them.

honestly, i do not give a f*** who will be captain. i don't think it matters.

Reactions: kesleaf

Welsh Maple Leaf

Jan 9, 2017
Matthews had a bad series at the age of 20 where he was up against a team keying in on him - let’s not over react. He should be captain.

That’s no knock on Marner who turned up in a big way this series and outperformed Matthews. Too small of a sample size to change everything.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

Yeah well we will see i guess. Not trying to cause nothing. Both are capable.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
You're not winning the cup if Matthews isn't firing on all cylinders. Doesn't matter who the captain is. Marner becoming captain won't change a thing if you already believe Matthews doesn't have "it" to do well under duress.

#34 will become captain.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Do people not remember last playoffs? Christ our fan base sure doesn't treat star players well at all sometimes.

I've believed in Marner longer than almost anyone on this board. I defended him all last offseason and the first half of the year against half this board. I have locked threads where I was defending him and what I said came true. People actually thought Nylander was better than him LOL

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
If Matthews isn't the eventual captain of the Leafs, something really went wrong and the team will be doing poorly.

/shudder

Marner had an impressive playoffs - kudos to him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad