Speculation: No takers for PK Subban?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyne

Oct 24, 2007
As a hockey player, he's not what he once was and he's likely no longer NHL caliber. Some teams may have offeredd him PTO but I suspect he's hoping for something more tangible. PK in Europe would be fascinating.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Isles were dynasty
Not in 1978. I think the Rangers upset a better Isles team in 1979. I also think the Flames victory over thr 1986 Oilers was more impressive as someone who is old enough to have watched all those series. That’s not a knock on that Leafs team. It was a great series for them I’m just not sure it qualifies as best playoff upset.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
As a hockey player, he's not what he once was and he's likely no longer NHL caliber. Some teams may have offeredd him PTO but I suspect he's hoping for something more tangible. PK in Europe would be fascinating.
He's definitely still NHL caliber. He's just not a top-4 defenseman.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
He's definitely still NHL caliber. He's just not a top-4 defenseman.

Ok this is a stretch.

I don't know. What role does he play on a bottom pair?

Is he still good enough for PP time?

He's never been the most responsible Dman, but it was offset by his moments of brilliance with the puck.

Would you rather have PK on your bottom pair or a steady two way guy?

Maybe he's still capable of a top4 role, but I don't see him as a good fit on a bottom pair with no real offensive zone time.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

He's never been the most responsible Dman, but it was offset by his moments of brilliance with the puck.

Maybe he's still capable of a top4 role, but I don't see him as a good fit on a bottom pair with no real offensive zone time.
I'd rather a zero offense, mediocre defender that doesn't take many penalties.

I think your points are valid and it makes sense why he's not been signed. I just figured somebody would take the gamble by now

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
He played during greatest era in Leafs history. Turnbull scored 5 goals in a game. Sittler scored 10 points in a game the season before. The '78 Leafs pulled off biggest upset in playoff history. They had pyramid power, Neilson coming to bench with paperbagover his head. It was great era. Turnbull Still holds Leafs record for points and plus/minus in season.

I’m sure nostalgia for a specific generation plays a big part in a statement like that, but I can tell you that the 1970’s Leafs are not even remotely close to being in the conversation for the best era in Leafs history lol. That is unquestionably either the 1940’s or 1960’s Leafs.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I'd love to see the Canucks take a flyer on him. If we can get him 14-15 mins in a sheltered role I'm sure he is gonna do better than Tucker Poolman.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Not in 1978. I think the Rangers upset a better Isles team in 1979. I also think the Flames victory over thr 1986 Oilers was more impressive as someone who is old enough to have watched all those series. That’s not a knock on that Leafs team. It was a great series for them I’m just not sure it qualifies as best playoff upset.
No Salming. He was best defenseman in game that year

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
No Salming. He was best defenseman in game that year
Maybe. He was an excellent and underrated player. Still, the 1978 Islanders, as good as they were, weren't the 1986 Oilers to me, and I'll guess to most of the posters old enough to have watched both of those teams. All of this is just opinion so I can't say you are wrong.

Reactions: Jive Pawnbroker

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Maybe. He was an excellent and underrated player. Still, the 1978 Islanders, as good as they were, weren't the 1986 Oilers to me, and I'll guess to most of the posters old enough to have watched both of those teams. All of this is just opinion so I can't say you are wrong.
Not a one year thing. Very emotional team. Leafs playoff battles with Flyers from '76 and '77 were legendary also.

Reactions: My3Sons

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

Most Devils fans felt he was actually quite solid in a bottom pairing, no PP role. Had they not traded for Marino I think many (some?) of us would've been ok with him coming back as the third pairing RD. He's very clearly not the PK of a few years ago but in the right situation I think he can still play albeit nowhere near his previous cap hit. He seems destined for media though.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Most Devils fans felt he was actually quite solid in a bottom pairing, no PP role. Had they not traded for Marino I think many (some?) of us would've been ok with him coming back as the third pairing RD. He's very clearly not the PK of a few years ago but in the right situation I think he can still play albeit nowhere near his previous cap hit. He seems destined for media though.
He was likewise very solid defensively for the Preds throughout... his reputation for poor defensive play seems to stem solely from some old highlight videos or something. Sure, he would make the occasional unconventionally terrible giveaway, but his overall body of work in his own zone was actually very strong. Limited mobility cost him at times in his last season with us, but nobody battled harder in the corners or in front of the net. I would not see any risk whatsoever with him in a purely defensive role. Because of his competitiveness he will take more penalties than most players, however.

But I suspect that with his back injuries he has to put in a lot of physio work and live with a lot of discomfort to play that style, and is always going to be one more tweak away from even more limited mobility. So if he hasn't been putting in the work or doesn't want to face that discomfort again for another year, the broadcast booth may be his smarter choice. :dunno:

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Not even close to accurate for his Devils tenure. He was constantly seen in off ice pics with many different teammates. So much in fact, that at one point, the Devils board was wondering if Subban was going to get another contract solely based on the fact that he seemed to be so well liked.

He’s can be a perfectly competent bottom pairing D now. He seems to have finally accepted the fact that he cannot play the same style he used to and had his best year as a Devil last season by just simplifying his game.
Talk about damning with feint praise. Subban was much better last year but that is primarily due to lackluster performances prior and the Devils' lack of depth on the back end.

Even last season, however, it seemed he was more concerned with his activities off the ice.

While last season's effort was commendable, the Devils are best served moving on.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
He took a lot of bad penalties and had a lot of turnovers at the blue line. He’s still
NHL caliber but not what he was. Last year it seemed like he was trying to adapt his game to a new role. Given the right opportunity I think he can do well he just has to stay the course with his new role.

I wouldn’t even mind NJ bringing him back for one more year if they find a good trade for Severson.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
He was likewise very solid defensively for the Preds throughout... his reputation for poor defensive play seems to stem solely from some old highlight videos or something. Sure, he would make the occasional unconventionally terrible giveaway, but his overall body of work in his own zone was actually very strong. Limited mobility cost him at times in his last season with us, but nobody battled harder in the corners or in front of the net. I would not see any risk whatsoever with him in a purely defensive role. Because of his competitiveness he will take more penalties than most players, however.

But I suspect that with his back injuries he has to put in a lot of physio work and live with a lot of discomfort to play that style, and is always going to be one more tweak away from even more limited mobility. So if he hasn't been putting in the work or doesn't want to face that discomfort again for another year, the broadcast booth may be his smarter choice. :dunno:
I think the diminishing of his ability is a large reason for the turnovers too. He used to be able to make the play he simply cannot anymore. He will stand up for his teammates which on the Devils he was probably the only one willing to do so. I think most ppl knew he wasn't Norris level PK anymore but if his cap number wasn't what it was I think a lot less complaints would've happened as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad